- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Activities of Enzymes Involved in Fatty Acid Metabolism in the Colon Epithelium of Piglets Fed with Different Fiber Contents Diets
- Zhu, Y.H. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Lundh, T. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Wang, J.F. (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences)
- 투고 : 2002.02.03
- 심사 : 2003.04.22
- 발행 : 2003.10.01
The present study was conducted to evaluate the influence of dietary fiber on the activities of malic enzyme and citrate lyase involved in fatty acid metabolism in the colon epithelium of pigs. Thirty-six weaned 5 weeks old crossbred (Yorkshire
Colon Epithelium;Suckling-weaning Pigs;Lipogenic Enzyme;Dietary Fiber
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Crabtree, B., A. R. Leech and E. A. Newsholme. 1979. Measurement of enzyme activities in crude extract of tissues. In: (Ed. H. L. Kornberg, J. C. Metcalfe, D. H. Northcote, C. I. Pogson and K. F. Tipton), Techniques in Metabolic Researchpart 1. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. B211:1-37.
- Gaiva, M. H. G., R. C. Couto, L. M. Oyama, G. E. C. Couto, V. L. F. Silverira, E. B. Riberio and C. M. O. Nascimento. 2001. Polyunsaturated fatty acid-rich diets: Effect on adipose tissue metabolism in rats. Br. J. Nutr. 86:371-377.
- Quant, P. A., P. K. Tubbs and M. D. Brand. 1989. Treatment of rats with glucagon or mannoheptulose increases mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylgutary-CoA synthase activity and decreases succinyl-CoA content in liver. Biochem. J. 262:159-164.
- Wang, J. F., B. B. Jensen, H. Jørgensen, D. F. Li and J. E. Lindberg. 2002. Ileal and total tract digestibility, and protein and fat balance in pigs fed rice with addition of potato starch, sugar beet pulp or wheat bran. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 102:125-136.
- Wang, J. F., D. F. Li, B. B. Jensen, K. Jakobsen, J. J. Xing, L. M. Gong and Y. H. Zhu. 2003. Effect of type and level of fiber on gastric microbial activity and short-chain fatty acid concentrations in gestating sows. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 104:95-110.
- Arbeeny, C. A., D. S. Meysers, K. E. Bergquist and R. E. Gregg. 1992. Inhibition of fatty acid synthesis decreases very-low density lipoprotein secretion in the hamster. J. Lipid Res. 33:843-851.
- Le Dividich, J., P. Herpin, J. Mourot and A. P. Colin. 1994. Effect of low fat colostrum on fat accretion and lipogenic enzymes in adipose tissue in the 1-day-old pig. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 108:663-671.
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. and I. Hansen. 1991. Gastrointestinal implications in pigs of wheat and oat fractions, I. Digestibility and bulking properties of polysaccharides and other constituents. Br. J. Nutr. 65:217-232.
- Bergmeyer, H. U. 1974. Citrate lyase. In: (Ed. H. U. Bergmeyer), Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (Vol.1). Academic Press, New York and London. pp. 442-443.
- Mourot, J., M. Kouba and P. Peiniau. 1995. Comparative study of in vitro lipogenesis in various adipose tissues in the growing domestic pig. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 111B:379-384.
- Raju, J., D. Gupta, A. R. Rao and P. K. Yadava. 2001. Trigonella foenum graecum (fenugreek) seed power improves glucose homeostasis in alloxan diabetic rat tissues by reversing the altered glycolytic, gluconeogenic and lipogenic enzymes. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 224:45-51.
- Wise, E. M. and E. G. Ball. 1964. Malic enzyme and lipogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 52:1255-1263.
- Lupton, J. R. 1995. Short-chain fatty acids and colon tumorigenesis: animal models. In: (Ed. J. H. Cummings and J. J. Rombeau), Physiological and Clinical Aspects of Shortchain Fatty Acids. Cambridge University Press, Great Britain. pp. 307-318.
- Kritchevsky, D. 1988. Dietary fiber. Ann. Rev. Nutr. 8:301-328.
- Bee, G. 2000. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid consumption during pregnancy and lactation influences growth and tissue composition in weaned pigs. J. Nutr. 130:2981-2989.
- Thumelin, S., M. Forestier, J. Girard and J. P. Pegorier. 1993. Developmental changes in mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase gene expression in rat liver, intestine and kidney. Biochem. J. 292:493-496.
- Gibbons, G. F. 1990. Assembly and secretion of hepatic very-lowdensity lipoprotein. Biochem. J. 268:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2680001
- Stoldt, W. 1952. Verschlag zur Vereinheitlichung der Fettbestimmung in Lebensmitteln (Suggestion to standardize the determination of fat in food stuffs). Fette, Seifen, Anstrichmittel. 54:206-207.
- Lee, Y. B. and R. G. Kauffman. 1974. Cellularity and lipogenic enzyme activities of porcine intramuscular adipose tissue. J. Anim. Sci. 38:538-544.
- Macfarlane, G. T. and J. H. Cummings. 1991. The colonic flora, fermentation, and large bowel digestive function. In: (Ed. S. F. Phillips, J. H. Pemberton and R. G. Shorter), The Large Intestine, Physiology, Pathophysiology and Disease. Raven Press, New York, NY. pp. 51-92.
- Salway, J. G. 1994. Metabolism of glucose to fatty acids and triacylglycerol. In: (Ed. J. G. Salway), Metabolism at a Glance. Cambridge University Press, Great Britain. pp. 30-31.
- Stryer, L. 1995. Fatty acid metabolism. In: (Ed. L. Stryer), Biochemistry. 4th edition. Freeman and Company, New York. pp. 603-628.
- Leskanich, C. D. and R. C. Noble. 1999. The comparative roles of polyunsaturated fatty acids in pig neonatal development. Br. J. Nutr. 81:87-106.
- Duee, P. H., J. P. Pegorier, P. A. Quant, C. Herbin, C. Kohl and J. Girard. 1994. Hepatic ketogenesis in newborn pigs is limited by low mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3methylglutary-CoA synthase activity. Biochem. J. 298:207-212.
- Bach Knudsen, K. E. 1997. Carbohydrate and lignin contents of plant material used in animal feeding. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 67:319-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00009-6
- Leveille, G. A. 1970. Adipose tissue metabolism: influence of periodicity of eating and diet composition. Fed. Proc. 29:1294-1301.