- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cod Liver Oil and Chromium Picolinate Supplements on the Serum Traits, Egg Yolk Fatty Acids and Cholesterol Content in Laying Hens
- Lien, Tu-Fa (Department of Animal Science, National Chiayi University) ;
- Wu, Chaen-Ping (Department of Animal Science, National Chiayi University) ;
- Lu, Jin-Jenn (Department of Animal Science, National Chiayi University)
- Received : 2003.01.25
- Accepted : 2003.04.14
- Published : 2003.08.01
This study investigated the effects of cod liver oil and chromium picolinate on the serum traits and egg yolk fatty acids and cholesterol content in laying hens. One hundred 45-week old single comb white Leghorn laying hens were assigned randomly to four groups. These groups were: (1) control (soybean oil), (2) 1,000 ppb (
- Anderson, R. A., N. K. Bryden and M. M. Polansky. 1985. Serum chromium of human subjects: effects of chromium supplementation and glucose metablism. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 41:571-577.
- Anderson, R. A., 1986. Chromium metabolism and its role in disease processes in man. Clin. Physio. Biochem. 4:31-41.
- Anderson, R. A., M. M. Polansky, N. A. Bryden, S. J. Bhathena and J. J. Canary. 1987. Effects of supplemental chromium on patients with symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia. Metab. 38: 351-355.
- Anderson, R. A., M. P. Polansky, N. A. Bryden and J. J. Canary. 1991. Supplemental chromium effects on glucose, insulin, glucagon and urinary chromium losses in subjects consuming controlled low-chromium diets. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 54:909-916.
- Amoikon, E. K., J. M. Fernandez, L. L. Southern, D. L. Thompson, Jr. T. L. Ward and B. M. Olcott. 1995. Effect of chromium tripicolinate on growth glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, plasma metabolites, and growth hormone in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1123-1130.
- Beyer, R. and L. S. Jensen. 1989. Overestimation of the cholesterol content of eggs. J. Agr. and Food Chem. 37:917-920. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00088a020
- Brindley, D. N. and A. M. Salter. 1991. Hormonal regulation of the hepatic low density lipoprotein: relationship with the secretion of very low density lipoprotein. J. Lipid Res. 30:349-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/0163-7827(91)90003-N
- Cobb, S. A. and J. L. Sanders. 1978. Enzymic determination of cholesterol in serum lipoproteins separated by electrophoresis. Clin. Chem. 24:1116.
- Cupo, M. A. and W. E. Donaldson. 1987. Chromium and vanadium effect on glucose metabolism and lipids synthesis in the chick. Poult. Sci. 66:120-126. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0660120
- Evans, G. W. 1989. The effect of chromium picolinate on insulin controlled parameters in humans. Intern. J. Biophys. and Med. Res. 11:163-180.
- Evans, G. W. and T. D. Bowman. 1992. Chromium picolinate increases membrane fluidity and rate of insulin internalization. J. Inorg. Biochem. 46:243-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/0162-0134(92)80034-S
- Evock-Clover, C. M., M. M. Polansky, R. A. Anderson and N. C. Steel. 1993. Dietary chromium supplementation with or without somatotropin treatment alters serum hormones and metabolites in growing pigs without affecting growth performance. J. Nutr. 123:1504-1512.
- Hargis, P. S., M. E. Van Elswyk and B. M. Hargis. 1991. Dietary modification of yolk lipid with menhaden oil. Poult. Sci. 70: 874-883. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0700874
- Houstmuller, A. J. 1969. Agarose-gel electrophoresis of lipoproteins: A clinical screening test. Edited by Koninkliike Van Gorcum and Comp. The Netherlands, p. 5.
- Howard, B. V., N. Schneiderman, B. Falkner, S. M. Haffner and A. Laws. 1993. Insulin, health behaviors, and lipid metabolism. Metab. 42 (suppl. 1):25-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(93)90257-O
- Jiang, Z. and J. S. Sim. 1992. Effects of dietary n-3 fatty acid enriched chicken eggs on plasma and tissue cholesterol and fatty acid composition of rats. Lipid 27:279-284. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02536476
- Kim, D. N., J. Schmee, C. S. Lee, A. Eastman, J. S. Ross and W. A. Thomas. 1991. Composition of effects of fish oil and corn oil supplements on hyperlipidemic diet induced atherogenesis in swine. Atherosclerosis 89:191-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9150(91)90060-G
- Kim, Y. H., I. K. Han, Y. J. Choi, I. S. Shin, B. J. Chae and T. H. Kang. 1996. Effects of dietary levels of chromium picolinate on growth performance, carcass quality and serum traits in broiler chicks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 9:341-347.
- Lefavi, R. G., G. D. Wilson, R. E. Keith, R. A. Anderson, D. L. Blessing, C. G. Hames and J. L. McMillan. 1993. Lipidlowering effect of a dietary chromium (III) nicotinic acid complex in male athletes. Nutr. Res. 13:239-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(05)80421-X
- Lien, T. F., S. Y. Chen, C. P. Wu, C. L. Chen and C. Y. Hu. 1996. Effects of chromium picolinate and chromium chloride on growth performance and serum traits of growing-finishing swine. Proceeding of Western Section, American Society of Animal. Science 47:150-153.
- Lien, T. F., S. Y. Chen, S. P. Shiau, D. P. Froman and C. Y. Hu. 1997. Chromium picolinate reduces laying hen serum and egg yolk cholesterol. The Profes. Anim. Scient. 12:77-80.
- Lien, T. F., C. P. Wu, P. H. Lin, B. J. Wang, J. J. Lu and T. Y. Shiao. 1998. Effect of different protein and limiting amino acid levels coupled with a supplement of chromium picolinate on lipid metabolism and carcass characteristics of pigs. Anim. Sci. 67: 601-607. https://doi.org/10.1017/S135772980003304X
- Lien, T. F., Y. M. Horng and K. H. Yang. 1999. performance, serum characteristics, carcass traits and lipid metabolism of broilers as affected by supplement of chromium picolinate. Br. Poult. Sci. 40:357-363. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669987458
- Lien, T. F., C. P. Wu, B. J. Wang, M. S. Shiao, T. Y. Shiao, B. H. Lin and C. Y. Hu. 2001. Effect of supplemental levels of chromium picolinate on the growth performance, serum traits, carcass characteristics and lipid metabolism of growingfinishing pigs. Anim. Sci. 72:289-296.
- Lindemann, M. D., C. M. Wood, A. F. Harper, E. T. Kornegay and R. A. Anderson. 1995. Dietary chromium picolinate additions improve gain:feed and carcass characteristics in growing finishing pigs and increase litter size in reproducing sows. J. Anim. Sci. 73:457-465. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.732457x
- McCarty, M. F. 1991. The case for supplemental chromium and a survey of clinical studies with chromium picolinate. J. Apply Nutr. 43:58-66.
- Mirsky, N. 1993. Glucose tolerance factor reduces blood glucose and fatty acids levels in diabetic rats. J. Inorg. Biochem. 49: 123-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/0162-0134(93)85021-Y
- Morris, B. W., T. A. Gray and S. Macneil. 1993. Glucosedependent uptake of chromium in human and rat insulinsensitive tissues. Clin. Sci. 84:477-482. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0840477
- Oh, S. Y., C. H. H. Lin, J. Ryue and D. Brown. 1994. Eggs enriched with omega-3 fatty acids as a wholesome food. J. Appl. Nutr. 46: 15-25.
- Okada, S., H. Tsukada and H. Ohba. 1984. Enhancement of nucleo RNA synthesis by chromium (III) in regenerating rat liver. J. Inorg. Biochem. 21:113-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/0162-0134(84)85044-8
- Page, T. G., L. L. Southern, T. L. Ward and Jr. D. L. Thompson. 1993. Effect of chromium picolinate on growth and serum and carcass traits of growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:656-662. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.713656x
- Press, R. I., J. Geller. and G. W. Evans. 1990. The effect of chromium picolinate on serum cholesterol and apolipoprotein fractions in human subjects. The Western J. Medicine 152:41-45.
- Rosebrough, R. W. and N. C. Steele. 1981. Effects of supplemental dietary chromium or nicotinic acid on carbohydrate metabolism during basal, starvation, and refeeding periods in poults. Poult. Sci. 60:407-417. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0600407
- Sanders, T. A. B., M. Vickers and A. P. Haines. 1981. Effect of blood lipids and haemostasis of a supplement of cod liver oil, rich in eicosapentaenoic and decosahexaenoic acids, in healthy young men. Clin. Sci. 61:317-324. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0610317
Sanders, T. A. B. and F. Roshani. 1983. The influence of different types of
$\omega$-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on blood lipids and platelet function in healthy voluntees. Clin. Sci. 64:91-99. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0640091
- Sanders, T. A. B., D. R. Sullivan, J. Reeve and G. R. Thompson. 1985. Triglyceride-lowering effect of marine polyunsaturates in patients with hypertriglyceridemia. Arteriosclerosis 5:459-465. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.5.5.459
- Simopoulos, A. P. and N. Jr. Salem. 1992. Egg yolk as a source of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid in infant feeding. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 55:411-414. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/55.2.411
- Statistical Analysis System Institute. 1990. SAS/STAT User's guide, Version 6.06, 4th ed. Cary, NC.
- Van-Elswky, M. E., B. M. Hargis, J. D. Williams and P. S. Hargis. 1994. Dietary menhaden oil contributes to hepatic lipidosis in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 73:653-662. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730653
- Vilchez, C., S. P. Touchburn, E. R. Chavez and C. W. Chan. 1991. Effect of feeding palmitic, oleic, and linoleic acids to Japanese quail hens (Coturnix coturnix japonica). 1. Reproductive performance and tissue fatty acids. Poult. Sci. 70:2484-2493. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0702484
- Xi G., Z. Xu, S. Wu and S. Chen. 2001. Effect of chromium picolinate on growth performance, carcass characteristics, serum metabolites and metabolism of lipid in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:258-262.
- Wang, M. M., E. A. Fox, B. J. Stoecker, C. E. Menendez and S. B. Chan. 1989. Serum cholesterol of adults supplemented with brewer's yeast or chromium chloride. Nutr. Res. 9:989-998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(89)80059-4
Weintraub, M. S., R. Zechner, A. Brown, S. Eisenberg and L. Breslow. 1988. Dietary polyunsaturated fats of the
$\omega$-6 and $\omega$-3 series reduce postprandial lipoprotein levels. J. Clin. Invest. 82:1884-1893. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI113806