- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Oxygen Uptake by Yeast Issatchenkia orientalis as Microbial Feed Additive for Ruminants
- Lee, J.H. ;
- Lim, Y.B. ;
- Park, K.M. ;
- Lee, S.W. ;
- Baig, S.Y. ;
- Shin, H.T.
- Received : 2002.12.17
- Accepted : 2003.04.21
- Published : 2003.07.01
The objective of this work was to evaluate a thermotolerant yeast Issatchenkia orientalis DY252 as a microbial feed additive for ruminants. In the present study, the influence of volatile fatty acids (VFA) and temperature on oxygen uptake rate by I. orientalis DY 252 was investigated. It was evident that the oxygen uptake rate was decreased gradually as the VFA concentrations increased in a range of 30 to 120 mM. Although the oxygen uptake rate was not greatly affected by temperature in the range 37 to
Issatchenkia orientalis;Oxygen Uptake Rate;Viability;Vitality;Volatile Fatty Acids;Yeast Culture
- Hillman, K., D. Lloyd and A. G. Williams. 1985. Use of a portable quadrupole mass spectrometer for the measurement of dissolved gas concentrations in ovine rumen liquor in situ. Curr. Microbiol. 12:335-340. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01567893
- Lee, J. H., Y. B. Lim, J. H. Koh, S. Y. Baig and H. T. Shin. 2002. Screening of thermotolerant yeast for use as microbial feed additive. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12:162-165.
- Wiedmeier, R. D., M. J. Arambel and J. L. Walters. 1987. Effect of yeast culture and Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on ruminal characteristics and nutrient digestibility. J. Dairy Sci. 70:2063-2068. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80254-0
- Barnett, J. A., R. W. Payne and D. Yanow. 2000. Yeast: Characteristics and identification, 3rd Ed. Cambridge University Press.
- Heggart, H. M., A. Margaritis, H. Pilkington, R. J. Stewart, T. M. Dowhanick and I. Russel. 1999. Factors affecting yeast viability and vitality characteristics: A review. Master Brewers Association of the Americas, 36:383-406.
- Agarwal, N., D. N. Kamra, L. C. Chaudhary, A. Sahoo and N. N. Pathak. 2000. Selection of Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains for use as a microbial feed additive. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 31: 270-273. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1472-765x.2000.00826.x
- Gilliland, R. B. 1959. Determination of yeast viability. J. Inst. Brew. 65: 424-429. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1959.tb01482.x
- Scott, R. I., N. Yarlett, K. Hillman, T. N. Williams and A. G. Williams. 1983. The presence of oxygen in rumen liquor and its effects on methanogenesis. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 55:143-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1983.tb02658.x
- Newbold, C. J., R. J. Wallace, X. B. Chen and F. M. McIntosh. 1995. Different strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae differ in their effects on ruminal bacterial numbers in vitro and in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1811-1818. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.7361811x
- Harrison, G. A., R. W. Hemken, K. A. Dawson, R. J. Harmon and K. B. Barker. 1988. Influence of addtion of yeast culture supplement to diets of lactating cows on ruminal fermentation and microbial populations. J. Dairy Sci. 71:2967-2975. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79894-X
- Martin, S. A. and D. J. Nisbet. 1992. Effect of direct-fed microbials on rumen microbial fermentation. J. Dairy Sci. 75:1736-1744. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77932-6
- Shin, H. T., Y. B. Lim, J. H. Koh, J. Y. Kim, S. Y. Baig and J. H. Lee. 2002. Growth of Issatchenkia orientalis in aerobic batch and fed-batch cultures. J. Microbiol. 40:82-85.
- Newbold, C. J., R. J. Wallace and F. M. McIntosh. 1996. Mode of action of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a feed additive for ruminants. Br. J. Nutr. 76: 249-261. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19960029
- Rose, A. H. 1987. Yeast culture, A microorganism for all species: A theoretical look at its mode of action. In: Biotechnology in the feed industry (Ed. T. P. Lyons). Alltech Technical Publications. pp.113-118.
- Wallace, R. J. 1996. The mode of action of yeast culture in modifying rumen fermentation. In: Proceedings of the 12th annual symposium (Ed. T. P. Lyons and K. A. Jacques). Nottingham University Press. pp.217-232.
- Reynolds, D. L. 1998. An overview of basic microbiology. In: 1998-99 Direct-fed microbial enzyme & forage additive compendium, Vol. 4 (Ed. S. Muirhead). The Miller Publishing Company, Minnesota. pp.9-14.
- Current awareness on yeast vol.20, pp.14, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1002/yea.950
- Effects of Yeast Culture and Galacto-Oligosaccharides on Ruminal Fermentation in Holstein Cows vol.88, pp.4, 2005, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72808-3
- Novel Isolates for Biological Detoxification of Lignocellulosic Hydrolysate vol.152, pp.2, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-008-8249-5
Supported by : Korea Research Foundation