- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
In vivo Antagonistic Effect of Lactobacillus helveticus CU 631 against Salmonella enteritidis KU101 infection
- Bae, Jin-Seong (Department of Animal Science and technology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Byun, Jung-Ryul (Department of Animal Science and technology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Yoon, Yung-Ho (Department of Animal Science and technology, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2002.06.18
- Accepted : 2002.11.21
- Published : 2003.03.01
In vivo antagonistic effect of Lactobacillus helveticus CU 631 and Lactobacillus spp. against typical enteritis causing pathogen Salmonella enteritidis KU 101 have been determined, which showed an increase in survival rate and the decline in viable cell numbers of pathogen in liver and spleen at sacrifice. A signifcant difference in the antagonistic effect against KU 101 were observed, which was species and/or strain dependent of Lactobacillus (p<0.01), the survival rate of the mice in the Salmonella infection by feeding L. helveticus CU 631 has been shown to be 157%, whereas those of L. rhamnosus GG ATCC 53103, L. acidophilus ATCC 4356, L. johnsonii C-4 were 137%, 132%, 119% respectively on the basis of lactobacilli non-associated control KU101 fed mice to be 100%. Viable cells of S. enteritidis KU101 in the liver and in the spleen at sacrifice were decreased in Lactobacillus spp. fed group with no significant difference. The higher level of total secretory IgA concentration in the intestinal fluid of lactobacilli fed mice than control mice have been observed. In vitro antagonistic activity of Lactobacillus spp. against KU101 have been determined, a prominent antagonistic activity of CU 631 against KU 101 were demonstrated.
- Marie-Francoise, B. C., V. Lievin, D. Brassart, J. Neeser, A. L. Servin and S. Hudault. 1997. The Human Lactobacillus acidophilus Strain LA1 Secrets a Nonbacteiocin Antibacterial Substances Active in vivo and in vitro. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63(7):2747-2753.
- Perdigon, G., S. Alvarez and M. Mediel. 1992. Systemic and local augmentation of the immune response in mice by feeding with Lactobacillus acidophilus and/ or Lactobacillus casei. In Food, nutrition and immunity. Karger, Basel, witzerland. pp. 66-76.
- Yoon, Y. H. and B. R. Won. 2002. Antagonism against Helicobacter pylori and proteolysis of Lactobacillus helveticus CU 631 and Strain identification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(7):1057-1065.
- Gibson, G. R. and R. Fuller. 2000. Aspects of in vitro and in vivo research approaches directed toward identifying probiotics and prebiotics for human use . J. Nutr. 130(2Ssuppl.).
- Anon. 1990. A manual for the treatment of diarrhea. who/cdd/imv/86-1 World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Link-Amster, H., F. Rochat, K. Y., Saudan, O. Mignot and J. M. Aeschlimann. 1994. Modulation of specific humoral immune response and changes in intestinal flora mediated through fermented milk intake. FEMS Immun. Med. Microbiol. 10:55-64.
- Edwards, B. H. 1999. Salmonella and Shigella species.Clin. Lab. Med.19:469-487.
- Isolauri, E., M. Kaila, H. Mykanen, W. H. Ling and S. Salminen. 1994. Oral bacteriotherapy for viral gastroenteritis. Dig. Dis. Sci. 39:2595-2600. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02087695
- Bowmer, E. J. 1964. The challenge of Salmonellosis major public health problem. Anim. J. Med. Sci. 247:647-501.
- Han, M. J., H.Y. Park and D. H. Kim. 1999. Protective effect of Bifidobacterium species on experimental colon carcinogenesis with 1,2 dimethyl hydrazine. J Microbiol. Biotechnol. 9:368-370.
- Lehrer, R. I., R. Michael, H. S. S. L. Sylvia, J. Richard and E. Patricia. 1991. Ultrasensitive assays for endogenous antimicrobiol polypeptides. J. Immunological Methods. 131:167-173.
- Black, R. E. 1993. Epidemiology of diarrheal disease: implications for control by vaccines. Vaccine 11:100. https://doi.org/10.1016/0264-410X(93)90002-F
- Gonzales, S. N., R. Cardozo, M. C. Apella and G. Oliver. 1994. Biotherapeutic role of fermented milk. Biotherapy 8:129-134.
- Katerralis, P. H., I. Salam and M. J. Farthing. 1995. Lactobacilli to prevent traveller's diarhhea . N. Eng. J. Med. 333:1360-1361. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199511163332016
- Aserkoff, B., S. A. Schoroeder and P. S. Brachman. 1970. Salmonellosis in the United States-A five-year review. Anim. J. Epodemiol. 92:13-24.
- Kaila, M., E. Isolauri, E. Soppi, E. Virtanen, S. Laine and H. Arvilommi. 1992. Enhancement of Circulating antibody secreting cell response in human diarrhea by a human lactobacillus strain.