- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Various Eggshell Treatments on the Egg Quality during Storage
- Park, Y.S. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Yoo, I.J. (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Jeon, K.H. (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, H.K. (Department of Food and Biotechnology, Hanseo University) ;
- Chang, E.J. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Oh, H.I. (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University)
- Received : 2002.11.18
- Accepted : 2003.02.28
- Published : 2003.08.01
The combined effects of washing, sanitization and coating of eggshell on the physical and microbiological quality during storage were evaluated at
- Jenkins, M. K. and M. E. Pennington. 1919. Commercial preservation of eggs by cold storage. USDA Bull. No 755.
- Kinoshita, K., S. Okamoto, T. Shimogiri, K. Kawabe, T. Nishida, R. Kakizawa, Y. Yamamoto and Y. Maeda. 2002. Gene constitution of egg white proteins of native chicken in asian countries. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:157-165.
- Lee, S. H., H. K. No and Y. H. Jeong. 1996. Effect of chitosan coating on quality of egg during storage. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 25:288-293.
- Lee, Y. B. 1979. The study on the storage and processing of the eggs. Korea Institute of Science and Technology Research Report, Seoul, Korea.
- Mallmann, W. L., L. E. Dawsan, B. M. Sultzer and H. L. Wright. 1953. Studies on microbiological methods for predicting selflife of dressed poultry. Food Tech. 7:122-125.
- Nam, K. S. and J. W. Kim. 1989. Recent Food Chemistry Experiment. Shin Kwang Publishing Co., Seoul, p.191.
- Stadelman, W. J. and O. J. Cotterill. 1977. Egg Science and Technology. AVI Publishing Co., p.41-48.
- Tanabe, H. and N. Ogawa. 1979. Survey of the methods for long term storage of poultry eggs. 17. The effects of washing and coating materials, vegetable oil, mineral oil and sucrose-fatty acid ester emulsion on interior quality of chicken eggs. Japan. Poult. Sci. 16:190-199. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.16.190
- Brant, A. W., A. W. Otte and K. H. Norris. 1951. Recommended standards for scoring and measuring opened egg quality. Food Technol. 5:356-361.
- Rosser, F. T. 1942. Preservation of eggs. II. Surface contamination on eggshell in relation to spoilage. Canad. J. Res. 20D:291-295. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjr42d-024
- Swanson, M. H., J. H. Skala and H. N. Benson. 1958. Effect of oiling and carbon dioxide treatment at point of production on quality loss in shell eggs. Poult. Sci. 36:1162-1168.
- Ahn, B. Y., J. W. Kim and Y. B. Lee. 1981. The study of conditions on egg quality during egg distribution. II. Kor. J. Poultry 23:92-98.
- Heiman, V. and J. S. Carver. 1936. Albumen index as a physical measurement of observed egg quality. Poult. Sci. 15:141-145. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0150141
- Wong, Y. C., T. J. Herald and K. A. Hachmseister. 1996. Evaluation of mechanical and barrier properties of protein coating on shell eggs. Poult. Sci. 75:417-422. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0750417
- Xie, L., N. S. Hettiarachchy, Z. Y. Ju, H. Wang, M. F. Slavik and M. E. Janes. 2002. Edible film coating to minimize eggshell breakage and reduce post-wash bacterial contamination measured by dye penetration in eggs. J. Food Sci. 67:280-284. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb11398.x
- Gentry, R. F. and C. L. Quarles. 1972. The measurement of bacterial contamination on eggshell. Poult. Sci. 51:930- 933. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0510930
- Song, I. S. 1983. Utilization and processing of egg product. II. Storage of egg. Curr. Poult. 7:104-110.
- Han, S. H. 1982. Processing of poultry product (I). Poultry Mag. 9:95-98.
- Homler, B. E. and W. J. Stadelman. 1963. The effect of oiling before and after cleaning in maintaining the albumen condition of shell eggs. Poult. Sci. 41:190-194.
- Chang, K. I., J. H. Park and K. Y. Kim. 1999. Studies on Salmonella enteritidis contamination in chicken egg using confocal scanning laser microscopy. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 31:771-777.
- Imai, C. 1981. Effect of coating eggs on storage stability. Poult. Sci. 60:2053-2061. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0602053
- Spamer, C. O., 1931. Historic methods and present practicies of preserving eggs in Holland. U.S. Egg Poultry Mag. 37:48-54.
- Miller, W. A. 1954. The microbiology of dirty eggs treated in various ways at different temperatures and humidities. Poult. Sci. 33:735-741. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0330735
- Tanabe, H. 1978. Survey of the methods for long term storage of poultry eggs. 13. The effect of washing, oiling and holding on interior quality of the chicken eggs. Japan. Poult. Sci. 15:55-63. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.15.55
- Wang, H. and M. F. Slavik. 1998. Bacterial penetration into eggs washed with various chemicals and stored at different temperatures and times. J. Food Protec. 61:276-279. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-61.3.276