- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relative Performance of Fattening Lambs on Raw and Processed Cottonseed Meal Incorporated Diets
- Nagalakshmi, D. (Division of Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sastry, V.R.B. (Division of Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Agrawal, D.K. (Division of Animal Nutrition, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2001.12.19
- Accepted : 2002.08.26
- Published : 2003.01.01
In order to find the feasibility of feeding raw or processed cotton (Gossypium) seed meal (CSM), 30 male crossbred lambs were randomly assigned to 5 dietary treatments with 6 animals each. Lambs were fed each of the isonitrogenous and isocaloric concentrate mixtures containing 30% deoiled groundnut cake (DGNC) (reference diet), 40% raw, 45 minute cooked, 1%
Cottonseed Meal;Groundnut Cake;Gossypol;Lambs;Feeding Value
Supported by : Council for Scientific and Industrial research
- Calhoun, M. C., J. E. Huston, B. C. Baldwin, S. W. Kuhlmann, B. S. Engdahl and K. W. Bales. 1990. Performance of lambs fed diets containing cottonseed meal processed by different methods. J. Anim. Sci. 68(suppl 1):530
- Cronje, P. B. 1983. Protein degradability of several South African feedstuffs by the artificial fibre bag technique. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 13:225-228.
- FAO. 1997. Cottonseed production. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO, Yearbook annuaire annuario Production, 44:46.
- Fiems, L. O., C. V. Boucque, B. G. Cottyn and F. X. Buysse. 1986. Cottonseed meal and maize gluten feed versus soybean meal as protein supplements in calf starters. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 36:731-740. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450398609425314
- Fitzsimmens, R. C., M. Newcombe and T. E. Moul.1989. The long term effects of feeding ground and whole cottonseed to laying hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 69:425-429. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas89-047
- Huston, J. E., M. C. Calhoun and S. W. Kuhlmann. 1990. Comparative toxicity of gossypol acetic acid and free gossypol in cottonseed meal and cottonseed to lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 68 (Suppl. 1):401.
- Jarquin, R., R. Bressani, L. G. Elias, C. Tejada, M. Gonzalez and J. E. Braham. 1966. Effect of cooking and calcium and iron supplementation on gossypol toxicity in swine. J. Agric. Food Chem. 14:275-279. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60145a021
- La Rue, D. C., D. A. Knabe and T. D. Tanksley. 1985. Commercially processed glandless cottonseed meal for starter, grower and finisher swine. J. Anim. Sci. 60:495-502. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.602495x
- Moise, L. A. and A. A. Wysocki.1981. The effect of cottonseed meal on growth of young horses. J. Anim. Sci. 53:409-413. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.532409x
- NRC. 1985. Nutrient requirements of sheep. National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Rahma, E. H. and M. S. R. Narsinga. 1984. Gossypol removal and functional properties of protein produced by extraction of glanded cottonseed with different solvents. J. Food Sci. 49: 1057-1060. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb10391.x
- Subba Rao, A., K. T. Sampath and S. R. Sampath.1989. In situ protein degradability of certain cakes in the rumen of cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 42:18-22.
- Tanksley, T. D. and D. A. Knabe. 1981. Use of cottonseed meal in swine rations. Feedstuffs. 53:24-25.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3584-3597.
- Waldroup, P. W. 1981. Cottonseed meal in poultry diets. Feedstuffs. 53: 21-23.
- Ward, G. M. and F. B. Johnston. 1962. Chemical methods of plants analysis. 1064, Research Branch, Canada, Department of Agriculture (C.f. Gupta et al., 1992).
- AOAC, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 1990. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 15th Ed. (Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC. 2044).
- Ikurior, S. A. and B. L. A. Fetuga. 1988. Equiprotein substitution of cottonseed meal for groundnut cake in diets for weanergrower pigs. J. Sci. Food Agric. 44:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740440102
- Shah, F. H., W. H. Shah, M. Yasin and M. Abdullah. 1986. Detoxification of commercially produced cottonseed meal. Pakistan J. Scientific and Indus. Res. 29:380-382.
- Nagalakshmi, D. 1997. Utilization of undecorticated cotton (Gossypium) seed meal in the diets of growing lambs. PhD Theses, Indian Veterinary Research Institute. Izatnagar 243 122, India.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient Requirement of Ruminants in Developing Countries. International Feedstuffs Institute, Utah, USA.
- Papadopoulos, G., K. Fegeros and E. Ziras. 1987. Evaluation of Greek Cottonseed meal. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 18:295-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(87)90037-X
- Reid, B. L., S. Galaviz Moreno and P. M. Maiorino. 1987. Evaluation of isopropanol-extracted cottonseed meal for laying hens. Poult. Sci. 66:82-89. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0660082
- Kandylis, K., P. Nikokyris, D. Liamadis and K. Deligiannis. 1992. Evaluation of cottonseed cake as feed ingredient for fattening sheep. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:291-299. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740580302
- Rogers, P. A. M., T. D. Henaghem and B. Sheeler. 1975. Gossypol poisoning in young calves. Ir. Vet. J. 29:9-13.
- Tanksley, T. D., D. A. Knabe, K. Purser, T. Zebrowska and J. R. Corley. 1981. Apparent digestibility of amino acids and nitrogen in three cottonseed meals and one soybean meal. J. Anim. Sci. 52:769-777.
- Orskov, E. R. 1982. Protein Nutrition in Ruminants, Academic Press, London.
- Nagalakshmi, D., A. K. Sharma and V. R. B. Sastry. 2000. Pathological lesions in organs of lambs fed raw or processed cottonseed meal. Vet. Res. Comm. 42:349-359.
- Baliga, B. P. and C. M. Lyman. 1957. Preliminary report on the nutritional significance of bound gossypol in cottonseed meal. J. Am. Oil Chemists Soc. 34:21-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02670957
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1980. Statistical Methods, Oxford and IBH publications Co. New Delhi.
- Braham, J. E., R. Jarquin, L. G. Elias, M. Gonzalez and R. Bressani. 1967. Effect of calcium and gossypol on the performance of swine and on certain enzymes and other blood constituents. J. Nutr. 91:47-54.
- Hennesy, D. W., G. J. Lee and P. J. Williamson.1983. Nitrogen loss from protein meals held in terylene bags in the rumen of cattle and the nutritive value of the residue. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 34:453-467. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9830453
- Balogun, T. F., A. O. Aduku, N. I. Dim and S. A. S. Olorunju. 1990. Undecorticated cottonseed meal as a substitute for soyabean meal in diets for weaner and growing-finishing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 30:193-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90015-Z
- Botsoglou, N. A. and D. C. Kufidis. 1990. Determination of total gossypol in cottonseed and cottonseed meals by Derivative UV spectrophotometry. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 73:447-451.
- Reiser, R. and H. C. Fu. 1962. The mechanisms of gossypol detoxification by ruminant animals. J. Nutr. 76:215-218.
- Hollon, B. F., R. K. Waugh, G. H. Wise and F. H. Smith. 1958. Cottonseed meals as the primary protein supplement in concentrate feeds for young calves. J. Dairy Sci. 41:286-294. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(58)90905-6
- Lindsey, T. O., G. E. Hawkins and L. D. Guthrie. 1980. Physiological responses of lactating cows to gossypol from cottonseed meal rations. J. Dairy Sci. 63:562-573. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82972-9
- Botsglou, N. A. 1991. Determination of 'Free gossypol' in cottonseed and cottonseed meals by Second-Derivative Ultraviolet spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:478-482. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00003a010
- Mc Ghee, F., C. R. Creger and J. R. Couch. 1965. Copper and iron toxicity. Poult. Sci. 44:310-312. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0440310
- Talapatra, S. K., S. C. Roy and K. C. Sen. 1940. Estimation of phosphorus, chlorine, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium in food stuffs. Indian J. Vet. Sci. and Anim. Husbandry. 10:243-258.
- El Boushy, A. R., A. F. B. Van Der Poel and R. Raternink. 1989. Replacement of soybean meal by cottonseed meal and peanut meal or both in low energy diets for broilers. Poult. Sci. 68: 799-804. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0680799
- Nagalakshmi, D., V. R. B. Sastry, D. K. Agrawal and R. C. Katiyar. 2001. Haematological and immunological response in lambs fed on raw and variously processed cottonseed meal. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(1):21-29.
- NRC. 1980. Mineral Tolerance of Domestic Animals. National Academy Press, Washington DC, USA.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple 'F test'. Biometrics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Danke, R. J., R. J. Panciera and A. D. Tillman. 1965. Gossypol toxicity studies with sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1199-1201. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1965.2441199x
- Effect of feeding of calcium hydroxide-treated or vitamin E-supplemented cottonseed meal on plasma gossypol levels, blood parameters, and performance of Bikaneri lambs vol.45, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0359-6
- Cottonseed Meal in Poultry Diets: A Review vol.44, pp.2, 2007, https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.44.119