- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Angiotensin I-converting Enzyme Inhibitory Activities of Porcine Skeletal Muscle Proteins Following Enzyme Digestion
- Katayama, K. (The United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences, Kagoshima University) ;
- Fuchu, H. (Marudai Food Co., Ltd.) ;
- Sakata, A. (Marudai Food Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kawahara, S. (Department of Biochemistry and Applied Biosciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki University) ;
- Yamauchi, K. (Department of Biochemistry and Applied Biosciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki University) ;
- Kawamura, Y. (Graduate School of Applied Life Science, Kinki University) ;
- Muguruma, M. (Department of Biochemistry and Applied Biosciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki University)
- Received : 2002.07.15
- Accepted : 2002.10.21
- Published : 2003.03.01
Inhibitory activities against angiotensin I-converting enzyme (ACE) of enzymatic hydrolysates of porcine skeletal muscle proteins were investigated. Myosin B, myosin, actin, tropomyosin, troponin and water-soluble proteins extracted from pork loin were digested by eight kinds of proteases, including pepsin,
Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme;Peptide;Porcine Skeletal Protein;Protease Digestion
- Adibi, S., J. Klemencic and E. Philips. 1969. Metabolism of branched-chain amino acid in starvation. Clin. Res. 17:376.
- Cheung, H. S., F. L. Wang, M. A. Ondetti, E. F. Sabo and D. W. Cushman. 1980. Binding of peptide substrate and inhibitors of angiotensin-converting enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 255:401-407.
- Craft, I. L., D. Geddes, C. W. Hyde, I. J. Wise and D. M. Matthews. 1968. Absorption and malabsorption of glycine and glycine peptide in man. Gut 9:425-437. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.9.4.425
- Joel, D. P. and A. S. James. 1982. Methods in Enzymology. Academic Press. New York. 85:164-171.
- Matsui, T., H. Matsufuji, E. Seki, K. Osajima, M. Nakashima and Y. Osajima. 1993. Inhibition of angiotensin I converting enzyme by Bacillus licheniformis alkaline protease hydrolysates derived from sardine muscle. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 57:922-925. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.57.922
- Matsumoto, K., A. Ogikubo, T. Yoshino, T. Matsui and Y. Osajima. 1994. Separation and purification of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptide in peptic hydrolyzate of oyster. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Kogaku Kaishi 41:589-594. (in Japanese).
- Potter, J. D. 1982. Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press. New York. 85:241-249.
- Saito, Y., K. Wanezaki (Nakamura), A. Kawamoto and S. Imayasu. 1994. Structure and activity of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptides from sake and sake lees. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 58:1767-1771. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.58.1767
- Smillie, L. B. 1982. Methods in Enzymology. Academic Press. New York. 85:234-237.
- Suetsuna, K. and K. Osajima. 1986. The Inhibitory activities against angiotensin I converting enzyme of basic peptides originating from sardine and hair tail meat. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 52:1981-1984. (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.52.1981
- Szent-Gyorgyi, A. 1951. Chemistry of muscle contraction 2nd. ed. 151-152. Academic Press. New York
- Yamamoto, S., I. Toida and K. Iwai. 1980. Re-examination of the spectrophotometric assay for serum angiotensin-converting enzyme. Nippon Kyobu Shikkangaku Kaishi (in Japanese). 18:297-303.
- Yoshii, H., N. Tachi, O. Sakamura, H. Takeyama, R. Ohba and T. Itani. 1999. Antihypertensive effect of oligo-peptide derived from hen's eggs. Nippon Shokuhin Kagaku Kogaku Kaishi 46: 45-50. (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk.46.45
- Kohama, Y., S. Matsumoto, H. Oka, T. Teramoto, M. Okabe and T. Mimura. 1988. Isolation of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitor from tuna muscle. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 155:332-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(88)81089-1
- Schagger, H. and G. Jagow. 1987. Tricine-sodium dodecyl sulfatepolyacrylamide gel electrophoresis for the separation of proteins in the range 1 to 100 kDa. Anal. Biochem. 166:368-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(87)90587-2
- Gornall, A. G., C. J. Bardawill and M. M. David. 1949. Determination of serum protein by means of the biuret reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 177:751-766.
- Hattori, A. 1996. Niku no Kagaku, ed. by Okitani A. Asakura shoten, Tokyo, Japan. pp. 48-49
- Bradford, M. M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72:248-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Fujita, H., K. Yokoyama and M. Yoshikawa. 2000. Classification and antihypertensive activity of angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from food proteins. J. Food Sci. 65:564-569. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16049.x
- Kawamura, Y., T. Takane, M. Satake and T. Sugimoto. 1992. Physiologically active peptide motif in proteins: Peptide inhibitor of ACE from the hydrolysates of antarctic krill muscle protein. J. Agric. Res. Quart. 26:210-213.
- Jimenez-Colmenero, F., J. Carballo and S. Cofrades. 2001. Healthier meat and meat products: their role as functional foods. Meat Sci. 59:5-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00053-5
- Murphy, J. B. and M. W. Kies 1960. Note on spectrophotometric determination of proteins in dilute solutions. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 45:382-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3002(60)91464-5
- Maruyama, S., K. Nakagomi, N. Tomizuka and H. Suzuki. 1985. Angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitor derived from an enzymatic hydrolysate of casein. II. Isolation and bradykininpotentiating activity on the uterus and the ileum of rats. Agric. Biol. Chem. 49:1405-1409. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.49.1405
- Hazra, A. K., S. P. Chock and R. W. Albers. 1984. Protein determination with trinitrobenzene sulfonate: a method relatively independent of amino acid composition. Anal. Biochem. 137:437-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(84)90110-6
- Lieberman, J. 1975. Elevation of serum angiotensin-convertingenzyme (ACE) level in sarcoidosis. Am. J. Med. 59:365-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(75)90395-2
- Kawamura, Y., T. Sugimoto, T. Takane and M. Satake. 1989. Biologically active peptide derived from food proteins (I) Angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibiting peptides from water-soluble protein of sardine muscle. Biryo Eiyouso Kenkyu 6:117-121. (in Japanese).
- Margossian, S. S. and S. Lowey. 1982. Methods in Enzymology. Academic Press. New York. 85:55-59.
- Sugiyama, K., K. Takada, M. Egawa, I. Yamamoto, H. Onizuka and K. Oba. 1991. Hypertensive effect of fish protein hydrolysate. Nippon Nogeikagaku kaishi (in Japanese). 65:35-43. https://doi.org/10.1271/nogeikagaku1924.65.35
- Cushman, D. W. and H. S. Cheung. 1971. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem. Pharmacol. 20:1637-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9
- Ohta, T., A. Iwashita, S. Sasaki and Y. Kawamura. 1999. Antihypertensive action of the orally administered protease hydrolysates of chum salmon head and their angiotensin Iconverting enzyme inhibitory peptides. Food Sci. Technol. Int., Tokyo 3:339-343.
- Arihara, K., Y. Nakashima, T. Mukai, T. Ishikawa and M. Itoh. 2001. Peptide inhibitors for angiotensin I-converting enzyme from enzymatic hydrolysates of porcine skeletal muscle proteins. Meat Sci. 57:319-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00108-X
- Eto, Y., T. Ito and S. Nishioka. 1999. Antihypertensive effect of alkaline protease hydrolysate of whey protein on blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Nippon Eiyo Shokuryogaku kaishi 52:301-306. (in Japanese). https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.52.301
- Yokoyama, K., H. Chiba and M. Yoshikawa. 1992. Peptide inhibitors for angiotensin I-converting enzyme from thermolysin digest of dried bonito. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 56:1541-1545. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.56.1541
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Li, D. F., X. H. Zhao, T. B. Yang, E. W. Johnson and P. A. Thacker. 1999. A comparison of the intestinal absorption of amino acids in piglets when provided in free form or as a dipeptide. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:939-943.
- Nakashima, Y., K. Arihara, A. Sasaki, H. Mio, S. Ishikawa and M. Itoh. 2002. Antihypertensive activities of peptides derived from porcine skeletal muscle myosin in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Food Sci. 67:434-437. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb11424.x
- Mung-bean Protein Hydrolysates Obtained with Alcalase Exhibit Angiotensin I-converting Enzyme Inhibitory Activity vol.11, pp.4, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013205056781
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition and free-radical scavenging properties of cationic peptides derived from soybean protein hydrolysates vol.59, pp.5, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480701592897
- Determination of angiotensin-I converting enzyme inhibitory peptides in chicken leg bone protein hydrolysate with alcalase vol.80, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00601.x
- Angiotensin I-Converting Enzyme Inhibitor Activity on Egg Albumen Fermentation vol.28, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0419
- Purification and characterization of an angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptide derived from porcine troponin C vol.74, pp.1, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1344-3941.2003.00086.x