- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding System on Rumen Fermentation Parameters and Nutrient Digestibility in Holstein Steers
- Li, D.Y. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Sang S. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, N.J. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, S.Y. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Sung, H.G. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Ko, J.Y. (NONGHYUP FEED INC.) ;
- Yun, S.G. (National Livestock Research, RDA) ;
- Ha, J.K. (School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2003.04.25
- Published : 2003.10.01
In order to compare effects of feeding systems on rumen fermentation characteristics and nutrient digestion, steers were fed either total mixed ration (TMR) or separate concentrate-roughage ration (CR). Total tract digestibility of nutrients was higher in steers receiving TMR. Especially, DM, ADF and NDF in TMR were digested to a greater extent than those in CR. Rumen pH was not influenced by the feeding systems. Holstein steers on TMR had higher ruminal
TMR;Feeding System;Celullase;Xylanase;in vivo Digestibility
- Chaney, A. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modified reagents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clinic. Chem. 8:130-132.
- Davis, C. L., D. A. Grenawalt and G. C. McCoy. 1983. Feeding value of pressed brewers’ grain for lactating dairy cow. J. Anim. Sci. 54: 18-27.
- Donald, L. B., F. N. Dickison, J. A. Tucker and R. D. Appleman. 1985. Dairy Cattle: Principles, Practices, Problems, Profits. 3th Ed. pp. 211-216.
- Howard, K., N. Takusari and N. Yamagishi. 1986. Effect of TMR feeding frequency on eating behavior of lactating cow. J. Dairy Sci. 69:692-694.
- Hungate, R. E. 1969. A roll tube method for the cultivation of strict anaerobes. In: Method in microbiology (Ed. J. S. Norris and D. E. Ribbons) Vol. 3B. Academic press. Londen and New Tork. pp. 117-132.
- Reid, R. L., J. P. Hogan and P. K. Briggs. 1957. The effect of diet on individual volatile fatty acids in the rumen of sheep with particular reference to the effect of low rumen pH and adaption on high starch diet. Aust. J. Agr. Res. 6:691-710.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1995. DAD. For Linear models: a guide to the ANOVA and GLM procedures. SAS. Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedure of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach 2nd ed MCGraw Hill Book Co., Inc., New York.
- Bryant, M. P. 1974. Nutritional features and ecology of predominant anaerobic bacteria of the intestinal tract. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 27:1313-1319.
- Lee, S. S., J. K. Ha and K. J. Cheng. 2000. Relative contributions of bacteria, protozoa and fungi to in vitro digestion of orchard grass cell walls and their interaction. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:3807-3813.
- Moseley, J. E., C. E. Coppok and G. B. Lake. 1976. Abrupt change in the forage-concentrate ratios of complete feeds fed ad libitum to dairy cow. J. Dairy Sci. 59:1471-1483.
- Yang, C. M. J. and G. A. Varga. 1989. Effect of three concentrate feeding frequencies on rumen protozoa, rumen digesta kinetics, and milk yield in Dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:950-957.
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis (14th Ed.) Association of official analysis Chemist Washington, DC.
- Russell, J. B. and J. L. Rychlik. 2001. Factors that alter rumen microbial ecology. Science. 292:1119-1122.
- Holter, J. B., W. E. Urban, Jr., H. H. Hayes and H. A. Davis. 1977. Utilization of diet components fed blended or separately to lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 60:1288-1293.
- Miron, J., E. Yoset, D. Ben-Ghedalia, L. E. Chase, D. E. Bauman and R. Solomon. 2002. Digestibility by Dairy cows of monosaccharide constituents in total mixed rations containing citrus pulp. J. Dairy Sci. 85:89-94.
- Merchen, N. R., J. L. Firkins and L. L. Berger. 1986. Effect of intake and forage level on ruminal turnover rates, bacterial protein synthesis and duodenal amino acid flows in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 62:216-225.
- Erwin, E. S., J. Marco and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 44:1768-1779.
- Njie, M. and J. D. Reed. 1995. Potential crop residues and agricultural by-products for feeding sheep in a Gambian village. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 52:313-323.
- Sasaki, H., K. Horiguchi and T. Takahashi. 2001. Effects of concentrate and roughage ratios on ruminal balance of long chain fatty acids in sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:899-1050.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analysis (Apparatus, Reagents, Procedure and Some Applications) U.S.D.A. Agricultural Research Service Agriculture Handbook No. 379.
- Kim, H. S., S. G. Yun, U. G. Kwon, S. B. Park, E. S. Chung and W. S. Kang. 1995. Effect of feeding wet brewers’ grains on ruminal characteristics and performance of dairy cattle. Korean Grassl. Sci. 15:215-221.
- Miller, G. L. 1959. Use of dinitrosalocylic reagent for the determination of reducing sugars. Anal. Chem. 31:426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Nock, J. E. R., L. Steele and D. G. Braund. 1985. Effect of mixed ration nutrient density on milk of cows transferred from high production group. J. Dairy Sci. 68:133-139.
- Lowe, S. E., M. K. Theodorou, A. P. J. Trinci and R. B. Hespell. 1985. Growth of anaerobic rumen fungi on defined and semidefined media lacking rumen fluid. J. Gen. Microbiol. 131:2225-2229.
- Fan, Y.-K., Y.-L. Lin, K.-J. Chen and P. W.-S. Chiou. 2002. Effect of concentrate feeding frequency versus total mixed ration on lactational performance and ruminal characteristicd of Holstein cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:658-664.
- Ha, J. K., S. S. Lee and J. Y. Ko. 2003. Laboratory manual for ruminant nutrition. Seoul National University.
- McGilliard, M. L., J. M. Swisher and R. E. James. 1983. Grouping lactating cows by nutritional requirements for feeding. J. Dairy Sci. 66:1084-1093.
- Owen, J. B. 1979. Complete diets for cattle and sheep. Farming Press Limited.
- Givens, D. I. 1987. Nutritive value of apple pomace for ruminants. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 11:189-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(84)90062-2
- McCullough, M. E. 1991. ‘Total mixed rations and super cow’. Hoard's Dairyman. W. D. Hoard ＆ Sons Co. WI. USA.
- Owen, J. B. 1984. Complete-diet feeding for cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 11:269-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(84)90019-8
- Adams, R. S. 1994. Penn State professor emeritus of dairy science, for use in forage and feed-testing schemes.
- Briggs, P. K., J. P. Hogan and R. L. Reid. 1957. The effect of volatile fatty acids, lactic acids and ammonia on rumen pH in sheep. Aust. J. Agr. Res. 6:674-690.
- Murdock, F. R., A. S. Hodqson and E. R. Robert. 1981. Nutritive value of wet brewers’ grains for lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 64:1826-1834
- Davis, C. I. 1979. The use of buffers in the rations of lactating dairy cows. In: (Ed. W. H. Hale and P. Meinhardt). Regulation of acid-base balance. Church and Dwight Co., Inc., Piscataway. NJ. pp. 51-64.
- Hungate, R. E. 1966. The Rumen and its Microbes. Academic Press, NY.
- Sirohi, S.K., M. Raman and T. K. Walli. 2001. Development and evaluation of protected fat in wheat straw based total mixed ration. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:14405-1408.
- Erdman, R. A., G. H. Proctor and J. H. Vandersall. 1986. Effect of rumen ammonia concentration on in situ rate and extent of digestion of feedstuffs. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2312-2320.
- Smith, H. E. and R. L. Baldwin. 1974. Effect of breed percentage and lactation on weight of organs and tissues in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 57:1055.
- Son, Y. S., B. W. Yu., H. C. Han., S. H. Lee and K. S. Kim. 1994. A field study on the ruminal pH of lactating cows according to feeding system in Korea. Kor. J. Dairy Sci. 16:326-334.