- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Ammonia, Urea Plus Calcium Hydroxide and Animal Urine Treatments on Chemical Composition and In sacco Degradability of Rice Straw
- Fadel Elseed, A.M.A. ;
- Sekine, J. ;
- Hishinuma, M. ;
- Hamana, K.
- Received : 2002.09.05
- Accepted : 2002.11.28
- Published : 2003.03.01
This experiment was conducted to examine the effects on the composition and rumen degradation in sacco of rice straw treated with animal urine (1 l of 2.9 g N/kg DM straw) and urea plus calcium hydroxide (2% urea plus 0.5%
Chemical Treatment;Rice Straw;Ruminal Degradation
- AOAC. 1984. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Official Methods of Analysis, DC.
- Mason, V. C., J. E. Cook, M. S. Dhanoa, A. S. Keene, C. J. Hoadley and R. D. Hartley. 1990. Chemical composition, digestibility in vitro and bio degradability of grass hay oventreated with different amounts of ammonia. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 29:237-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90030-C
- Pradhan, R., H. Tobioka and I. Tasaki. 1997. Effect of moisture content and different level of additives on chemical composition and in vitro dry matter digestibility of rice straw. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn.), 68:273-284.
- Saadullah, M., M. Haque and F. Dolberg 1981. Effectiveness of ammonition through urea in improving the feeding value of rice straw in ruminants. Trop. Anim. Prod. 6:30-36.
- SAS. 1993. User's guide. 6th Ed., SAS Inc. Cary NC.
- Grenet, E. and P. Barry. 1990. Microbial degradation in the rumen of wheat straw and anhydrous ammonia treated wheat straw observed by electron microscopy. Reprod. Nutr. Devel. 30:533-540. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19900408
- Leng, R. A. 1993. Quantitative ruminant nutrition. A green science. Aus. J. Agric. Res. 44:363-380. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9930363
- Orskov, E. R., F. D. Hovell and F. Mould. 1980. The use of nylon bag technique for the evaluation of feedstuff. Trop. Anim. Sci. 5:195-213.
- Buettner, M. R., V. L. Lechtenberg. K. S. Hendrixand and J. M. Hertel. 1982. Composition and digestion of ammoniated tall fescue (Festuca arundiancea Schreb.) hay. J. Anim. Sci. 54:273-178.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (Apparatus, Reagents, Procedure and some Application). Agricultural Hand Book NO. 379. Agricultural Research Services. USDA, Washington, DC.
- Orden, E. A., K. Yamaki, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2000. Feeding value of ammoniated rice straw supplemented with rice bran in sheep: II. In situ rumen degradation of untreated and treated rice straw. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:906-912.
- Saadullah, M., M. Haque and F. Dolberg. 1980. Treating rice straw with animal urine. Trop. Anim. Prod. 5:273-277.
- Sirohi, S. K. and S. N. Rai. 1999. Synergistic effect of urea and lime treatment of wheat straw on chemical composition, in sacco and in vitro digestibility. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 12:1049-1053.
- Wuliji, T. and W. R. McManus. 1988. Colonization of alkalitreated fibrous roughages by anaerobic rumen fungi. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 1:65-71.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics. 2nd Ed. McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. NY.
- Chaudhry, A. S. 1998. Nutrient digestion and rumen fermentation in sheep of wheat straw treated with calcium oxide, sodium hydroxide and alkaline hydrogen peroxide. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 74:315-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00178-3
- Hadjipanayiotou, M., L. Verheaghe, T. Goodchild and B. Shaker. 1993. Ammoniation of straw using urea, ammonia gas or ammonium hydroxide. Livestock Res. Rural Devel. 5(3). Http://www.cipav.org.co./lrrd/
- Hasan, S., M. Shimoji and I. Goto. 1993. Improvement in the nutritive value of straw by treatment with the urine of goats. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 6:36-40.
- Males, J. R. 1987. Optimizing the utilization of cereal crop residues for beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 65:1124-1130. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6541124x
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurement weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.). 92:499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Kamel, H. E. M., J. Sekine, T. Suga and Z. Morita. 1995. The effect of a frozen-rethawing technique on detaching firmly associated bacteria from in situ hay residues. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:481-483.
- Performance of sheep offered ammonia, or urea-calcium hydroxide treated rice straw as an only feed vol.75, pp.5, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2004.00206.x
- Nutrient digestibility and ruminal fermentation characteristic in swamp buffaloes fed on chemically treated rice straw and urea vol.44, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9946-6
- Seasonal effect on rumen function in sheep on range in the Accra Plains of Ghana vol.46, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-014-0629-y
- The impact of hydrolyzing and oxidizing agents on chemical composition and digestibility of various high-fibre forages vol.73, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/gfs.12369
Supported by : Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University