- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Association of Beta-lactoglobulin Polymorphism with Milk Production Traits in Cattle
- Badola, S. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Bhattacharya, T.K. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Biswas, T.K. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kumar, Pushpendra (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, Arjava (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2002.10.19
- Accepted : 2003.07.02
- Published : 2003.11.01
The study was carried out in Sahiwal, Holstein Friesian, Jersey and crossbred cattle to find out the effect of genotype of beta-lactoglobulin gene on milk production traits. The polymorphism at beta-lactoglobulin gene was identified by conducting PCRRFLP studies. A 398 bp fragment of the gene was amplified and digested with Hae III restriction enzyme. The two alleles A and B and three genotypes AA, AB and BB were identified in all cattle breeds. The frequency of B allele was comparatively higher than that of A allele. The AA genotype produced significantly higher milk yield in Sahiwal cattle whereas BB genotype yielded higher milk in Holstein friesian cattle. In other cattle breeds the genotypic effect was non-significant. In conclusion it may be stated that the genotype with significantly higher milk yield may be favoured in the farm along with other conventional selection criteria to enhance the milk production of animals.
- Aleandri, R. G., R. G. Buttazzoni, J. C. Schneider, A. Caroli and R. Davoli. 1990. The effects of milk protein polumorphism on milk components and cheese producing ability. J. Dairy Sci. 73:241.
- Ng-Kwai-hang, K. F., J. F. Hayes, J. E. Moxley and H. G. Monardes. 1990. Relationship between milk protein polymorphism and major milk constituents in Holstein Friesian cows. J. Dairy Sci. 69:22.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1967. Statistical methods. Ed. 6th, Oxford and IBM Publishing Co., New Delhi.
- Aschaffenburg, R. and J. Drewry. 1955. Occurrence of different beta-lactoglobulin in cow’s milk. Nature 176:218-219.
- Kim, J. H., H. D. Shin, S. W. Han, B. C. Sang and Y. S. Won. 1997. Polymorphism of kappa-casein and beta-lactoglobulin genes using the polymerase chain reaction in Hanwoo (Korean native) cattle. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39:481-488.
- Singh, H., P. N. Bhatt and R. Singh. 1981. Association of milk protein polymorphic genotypes with certain performance traits in crossbred cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 51:5-10.
- Bhattacaharya, T. K. and R. S. Gandhi. 1997. Marker assisted selection (MAS) and its application in dairy cattle. Indian Dairyman 49:39-45.
- Eigel, W. N., J. E. Butler, C. A. Emstorm, H. M. Farrel, R. J. Harwalkar and R. M. Whitney. 1984. Nomenclature of proteins of cow’s milk: Fifth revision. J. Dairy Sci. 67:1599.
- Kudjal-Savoie, S., W. Manson and J. H. Moore. 1980. The constutuents of cow’s milk. Bull. Int. Dairy Fed. 125:4-13.
- Biswas, T. K., T. K. Bhattacharya, A. D. Narayan, S. Badola, P. Kumar and A. Sharma. 2003. Growth hormone gene polymorphism and its effect on birth weight in cattle and buffalo. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:494-497.
- Jairam, B. T. and P. G. Nair. 1983. Genetic polymorphism of milk proteins and economic characters in dairy animals. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 53:1.
- Sambrook, J., E. F. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular Cloning: A laboratory Manual. Ed 2nd, Vol 2. Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press, New York
- Alexander, L. J., G. Hayes, W. Bawden, A. F. Stewart and A. G. Mackinalay. 1989. Complete nucleotide sequence of the bovine beta-lactoglobulin gene. Anim. Biotechnol. 4:1.
- Zhou, J. F., D. Zadworny and U. Kuhnlein. 1996. Sequence analysis of the beta-lactoglobulin locus in Holstein identifies two new restriction fragment length polymorphism. Canadian J. Anim. Sci. 76:299-303.
- Falconer, D. S. 1998. Introduction to Quantitative genetics. Rd 4th, Addison wesley Longman Ltd. Essex, England.