- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of DL-methionine and DL-methionine Hydroxy Analogue on Growth Performance, Contents of Serum Amino Acids and Activities of Digestive Proteases in Broilers
- Lu, J.J. ;
- Huang, C.W. ;
- Chou, R.G.R.
- Received : 2002.10.19
- Accepted : 2003.01.14
- Published : 2003.05.01
This study was conducted to determine the effect of DL-methionine (Met) and DL-methionine hydroxy analogue (MHA) supplementation on the growth performance, contents of serum amino acids and activities of digestive protease in broiler chicks from 0 to 3 weeks old . There were three treatments in this study: (1) control (basal diet), (2) 0.24% Met supplementation and (3) 0.368% MHA supplementation. The results showed that Met and MHA supplementation did not significantly (p>0.05) improve feed efficiency and body weight gain for broilers from 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3 weeks of age. The serum levels of homocystine, methionine and taurine were significantly (p<0.05) higher with supplementation of Met or MHA than with control. The pepsin activity of proventriculus was increased with (p<0.05) Met supplementation at 21 days of age and with MHA supplementation at 7 and 14 days of age. The trypsin activity was also increased (p<0.05) with MHA supplementation at 7 days of age. The chymotrypsin activity in pancreas and the dipeptidase activity in small intestinal mucosa and content were not affected (p>0.05) by Met or MHA supplementation.
Methionine;Broiler;Growth Performance;Serum Amino Acids Pattern;Digestive Proteases
- Geiger, R. and H. Fritz. 1984. Trypsin. Method with N-Benzoyl-Larginine-4-nitroanilide as substrate. In: H. U. Bergmeyer (Ed.) Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (3rd Ed.), Vol. 5. p. 11929. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim.
- Konturek, S. J., J. Tasler, M. Cieszkowski, J. Jaworek and J. Konturek. 1979. Intravenous amino acids and fat stimulate pancreatic secretion. Am. J. Physiol. 236(6):E678-E684.
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265-275.
- Lu, J. J. 1999. Development of protein digestive enzymes and effects of nutrient treatment on their activities in broilers and mule ducks. Ph. D. Thesis, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China.
- Meyer, J. H. and M. I. Grossman. 1972. Comparison of D- and Lphenylalanine as pancreatic stimulants. Am. J. Physiol. 222:1058-1063.
- Rick, W. and W. Fritsch. 1974. Pepsin. Measurement with haemoglobin as a substrate. In: H. U. Bergmeyer (Ed.) Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (2nd Ed.) Vol. 2. Academic Press, Inc., New York. p. 1046052.
- SAS Institute. 1985. SAS User's Guide. Statistics. Version 5 Edition. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Yang, S. I., M. Furuse, T. Muramatsu and J. I. Okumura. 1989b. Enhanced release of cholecystokinin by dietary amino acid in chicks. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 92A(3):319-322.
- Go, V. L. W., A. F. Hoffman and W. H. J. Summerskill. 1970. Pancreozymin bioassay in man based on pancreatic enzyme secretion: potency of specific amino acids and other digestive products. J. Clin. Invest. 49:1558-1564. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI106373
- Waldroup, P. W., C. J. Mabray, J. R. Blackman, P. J. Slagter, R. J. Short and Z. B. Johnson. 1981. Effectiveness of the free acid of methionine hydroxy analogue as a methionine supplement in broiler diets. Poult. Sci. 60:438-443. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0600438
- Balnave, D. and A. Oliva. 1990. Responses of finishing broilers at high temperatures to dietary methionine source and supplementation levels. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 415:57-564.
- Lu, J. J. and F. J. Lai. 2001. The effects of DL-methionine and DLmethionine hydroxy analogue on growth performance and protein digestive enzymes activities in Pekin ducks. J. Chin. Soci. Ani. Sci. 30(3):143-153.
- Yang, S. I., M. Furuse, T. Muramatsu and J. I. Okumura, 1989c. Responses of the pancreatic digestive enzyme secretion to various combinations of amino acids and cholecystokinin in chicks (Gallus Domesticus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 93A(4):703-706.
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th revised edition, National Academy Press, Washington. D. C.
- Yanming, H., F. Castanon, C. M. Parsons and D. H. Baker. 1990. Absorption and bioavailability of DL-methionine hydroxy analog compared to DL-methionine. Poult. Sci. 69:281-287. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0690281
- Thomas, O. P., C. Tamplin, S. D. Crissey, E. Bossard and A. Zuckerman. 1991. An evaluation of methionine hydroxy analog free acid using a nonlinear (exponential) bioassay. Poult. Sci. 70:605-610. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0700605
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., New York.
- Yang, S. I., T. Muramatsu, I. Tasaki and J. I. Okumura. 1989a. Responses of the pancreatic digestive enzyme secretion to amino acid, glucose and cholecystokinin in chicks. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 92A(3):313-317.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis. 13th ed., Washington D. C.
- Schneeman, B. O., I. Chang, L. B. Smith and R. L. Lyman. 1977. Effect of dietary amino acids, casein and soybean trypsin inhibitor on pancreatic protein secretion in rats. J. Nutr. 107:281-288.
- Poort, S. R. and C. Poort. 1981. Effect of feeding diets of different composition on the protein synthetic pattern of the rat pancreas. J. Nutr. 111:1475-1479.
- Zimmerman, R. A. and H. M. scott. 1965. Interrelationship of plasma amino acid levels and weight gain in the chick as influenced by suboptimal and superoptimal dietary concentration of single amino acids. J. Nutr. 87:13-18.
- Grossman, M. I., H. Greengard and A. C. Ivy. 1943. The effect of dietary composition on pancreatic enzymes. Am. J. Physiol. 138:676-682.
- Rostagno, H. S. and W. A. Barbosa. 1995. Biological efficacy and absorption of DL-methionine hydroxy analogue free acid compared to DL-methionine in chickens as affected by heat strees. Br. Poult. Sci. 36:303-312. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669508417777
- Geiger, R. 1984. Chymotrypsin. Method with N-succinyl-Lphenylalanine–4 -nitroanilide as substrate. In ： H. U. Bergmeyer (Ed.) Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (3rd Ed.), Vol. 5. p. 9918. Verlag Cheme, Weinheim.
- Josefsson, L. and T. Lindberg. 1965. Intestinal dipeptidases, 1. Spectrophotometric determination and characterization of dipeptidase activity in pig intestinal mucosa. Biochim. Biophy. Acta. 149-166.
- Fernandez-Figares, I., C. Prieto, R. Nieto and J. F. Aguilera. 1997. Free amino acid concentrations in plasma, muscle and liver as indirect measures of protein adequacy in growing chickens. Anim. Sci. 64:529-539. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800016167
- Lien, T. F. and D. F. Jan. 1999. The effect on the lipid metabolism of Tsaiya ducks when high levels of choline or methionine are added to the duck's diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12: 1090-1095.