- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationships of Concentrations of Endocrine Factors at Antemortem and Postmortem Periods to Carcass Weight and Backfat Thickness in Pigs
- Yun, J.S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Seo, D.S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Rhee, M.S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Oh, S. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Kim, B.C. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University) ;
- Ko, Y. (Department of Animal Science, Korea University)
- Received : 2002.06.21
- Accepted : 2002.11.07
- Published : 2003.03.01
Carcass weight and backfat thickness are two of important elements in determining the carcass trait in pigs and are studied on animal genetics, nutrition, and endocrinology. Growth factors stimulate or inhibit the proliferation and differentiation of various cells. In particular, insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), transforming growth factor (TGF)-
- Clore, J. N. 1995. Dehydroepiandrosterone and body fat. Obes. Res. Suppl. 4:613S-616S.
- Daughaday, W. H. and P. Rotwein. 1989. Insulin-like growth factor I and II. Peptide, messenger ribonucleic acid gene structures, serum, and tissue concentration. Endocr. Rev. 10:68-91. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-10-1-68
- Gluckman, P. D., R. G. Douglas, B. H. Breier, J. L. McCall, B. Parry and J. H. Shaw. 1991. Effects of recombinant IGF-I on protein and glucose metabolism in rTNF-infused lambs. Am. J. Physiol. 261:606-612.
- Lamberson, W. R., J. A. Sterle and R. L. Matteri. 1996. Relationships of serum insulin-like growth factor II concentrations to growth, compositional and reproductive traits of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1753-1756. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7481753x
- Lee, C. Y. and D. M. Henrick. 1990. Comparison of various acidic treatments of bovine serum on insulin-like growth factor-I immunoreactivity and binding activity. J. Endocrinol. 127: 139-148. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1270139
- Lee, C. Y., H. H. Head, C. R. Feinstein, J. Hayden and F. A. Simmen. 1995. Endocrine changes and circulating insulin-like growth factors in newborn calves fed colostrum, milk, or milk replacer. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 8:51-58.
- Nissley, S. P. and M. M. Rechler. 1984. Insulin-like growth factors: biosynthesis, receptors, and carrier proteins. In: (Ed. Li CH) Hormonal Proteins and Peptides, Academic Press, New York, 12:127-201.
- Owens, P. C., K. L. Gatford, P. E. Walton, W. Morley and R. G. Campbell .1999. The relationship between endogenous insulin-like growth factors and growth in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2098-2103. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7782098x
- Yun, J. S., W. J. Kang, D. S. Seo, S. S. Park, K. C. Hong, C. Y. Lee and Y. Ko. 2001. Association of endocrine factors (insulin-like growth factor-II and binding protein-3) with litter size in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:307-315.
- Boney, C. M., B. M. Moats-Staats, A. D. Stiles and A. J. D'Ercole. 1994. Expression of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding proteins during adipogenesis. Endocrinology. 135:1863-1868. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.135.5.1863
- Buonomo, F. C. and J. Klindt. 1993. Ontogeny of growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I and IGFII) and IGF binding protein-2 (IGFBP-2) in genetically lean and obese swine. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 10:257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/0739-7240(93)90030-F
- O'Quinn, P. R,. B. S. Andrews, R. D. Goodband, J. A. Unruh, J. L. Nelssen, J. C. Woodworth, M. D. Tokach and K. Q. Owen. Effects of modified tall oil and creatine monohydrate on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci.78:2376-2382. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7892376x
- Zappelli F., D. Willems, S. Osada, S. Ohno, W. C. Wetsel, M. Molinaro, G. Cossu and M. Bouche. 1996. The inhibition of differentiation caused by TGF-beta in fetal myoblasts is dependent upon selective expression of PKCtheta: a possible molecular basis for myoblast diversification during limb histogenesis. Dev. Biol. 180:156-164. https://doi.org/10.1006/dbio.1996.0292
- Lee, C. Y., C. S. Chung and F. A. Simmen. 1993. Ontogeny of the porcine insulin-like growth factor system. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 93:71-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0303-7207(93)90141-6
- Coleman, M. E., L. Russell and T. D. Etherton. 1994. Porcine somatotropin (pSTt) increases IGF-I Mrna abundance in liver and subcutaneous adipose tissue but not in skeletal muscle ofg rowing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:918-924. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.724918x
- Corino, C., G. Oriani, L. Pantaleo, G. Pastorelli and G. Salvatori. Influence of dietary vitamin E supplementation on 'heavy' pig carcass characteristics, meat quality, and vitamin E status. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1755-1761.
- Peng, M., M. F. Palin, S. Veronneau, D. LeBel and G. Pelletier. 1997. Ontogeny of epidermal growth factor (EGF), EGF receptor (EGFR) and basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) mRNA levels in pancreas, liver, kidney, and skeletal muscle of pig. Domes. Anim. Endocrinol. 14:286-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(97)00025-8
- Brameld, J. M., J. L. Atkinson, J. C. Saunders, J. M. Pell, P. J. Buttery and R. S. Gilmour. 1996. Effects of growth hormone and dietary proteins intake on insulin-like growth factor I and growth hormone receptor mRNA expression in porcine liver, skeletal muscle, and adipose tissue. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1832-1841. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7481832x
- Marques, B. G., D. B. Hausman, A. M. Latimer, K. M. Kras, B. M. Grossman and R. Y. Martin. 2000. Insulin-like growth factor I mediates high-fat diet-induced adipogenesis in osborne-mendetl rats. Am. J. Physiol. Regulatory Integrative Comp. Physiol. 278:654-662.
- McGuinness, M. C. and L. A. Cogburn. 1990. Measurement of developmental changes in plasma insulin-like growth factor-I levels of broiler chickens by radioreceptor assay and radioimmunoassay. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol.79:446-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-6480(90)90075-W
- Florini, J. R. and D. Z. Ewton. 1988. Actions of transforming growth factor-beta on muscle cells. J. Cell. Physiol.135:301-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.1041350218
- Florini, J. R., D. Z. Ewton and K. A. Magri. 1991. Hormones, growth factors, and myogenic differentiation. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 53:210-216.
- Jones, J. I. and D. R. Clemmons. 1995. Insulin-like growth facotrs and their binding proteins: biological actions. Endocr. Rev. 16:3-34.
- Lamberson, W. R., T. J. Safranski, R. O. Bates, D. H. Keisler and R. L. Matteri. 1995. Relationships of serum insulin-like growth factor I concentrations to growth, composition, and reproductive traits of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3241-3245. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73113241x
- Szabo, C., A. J. Jansman, L. Babinszky, E. Kanis and M. W. Verstegen. 2001. Effect of dietary protein source and lysine:DE ratio on growth performance, meat quality, and body composition of growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2857-2865. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79112857x
- Boney, C. M., P. A. Gruppuso, R. A. Faris and A. R. Frackelton Jr. 2000. The critical role of Shc in insulin-like growth factor-Imediated mitogenesis and differentiation in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Mol. Endocrinol. 14:805-813. https://doi.org/10.1210/me.14.6.805
- Burr, J. G., G. Dreyfuss, S. Penman and J. M. Buchanan. 1980. Association of the src gene product of Rous sarcoma virus with cytoskeletal structures of chicken embryo fibroblasts. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 77:3484-3488. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.6.3484
- Wise, T., J. Klindt and F. C. Buonomo. 1995. Obesity and dehydroepiandrosterone/ dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate relationship in lean, obese, and meat-type corss-bred boars: response to porcine growth hormone. Endocrinology. 136:3310-3317. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.136.8.3310
- SAS. 1995. SAS/SAT Software for PC. Release 6.11, SAS Institute. Cary, NC, USA.
- Blair H. T., S. N. McCutcheon, D. D. S. Mackenzie, P. D. Gluckman and J. E. Ormsby. 1987. Variation in plasma concentration of insulin-like growth factor-I and its covariation with liveweight in mice. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 40:287-293.
- Florini. J. R., D. Z. Ewton, and S. S. Coolican. 1996. Growth hormone and the insulin-like growth factor system in myogenesis. Endocr. Rev. 17: 481-517.
- Yang S. W. and J. S. Yu. 2000. Relationship of insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, insulin, growth hormone in cord blood and maternal factors with birth height and birthweight. Pediatr. Int.42:31-36. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1442-200x.2000.01167.x
- Recee, E. A., A. Wiznitzer, E. Le, C. J. Homko, H. Behrman and E. M. Spencer. 1994. The relation between human fetal growth and fetal blood levels of insulin-like growth factors I and II, their binding proteins, and receptors. Obstet. Gynecol. 84:88-95.
- Yoon, J., M. S. Rhee, D. S. Seo, B. C. Kim and Y. Ko. 2001. Monitoring of blood cytokines by PIT-1 genotype in day 150 male pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1659-1664.