- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
True Metabolisable Energy and True Amino Acid Availability in Chinese Varieties of Dehulled and Hulled Soybean Meals Determined with Adult Roosters
- Wang, Jitan (National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Li, Defa (National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Gong, Limin (National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Xing, Jianjun (National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Shen, Huile (American Soybean Association) ;
- Ma, Guolong Song Fabo (National Feed Engineering Technology Research Center, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2002.12.27
- Accepted : 2003.04.28
- Published : 2003.10.01
Studies were conducted with intact White Leghorn roosters to determine the true metabolisable energy (TME) and the true amino acid availability (TAAA) in five dehulled and hulled soybean meals produced in China. 60 roosters, kept in individual cages, were fasted for 48 h and then tube-fed 50 g of one of experimental feedstuffs and their excreta was then collected for the subsequent 48 h period. Two separate collection periods were used with each meal being fed to 12 roosters. The birds were given a 15-day recovery period between collection periods. An additional 12 roosters were either fasted or fed a protein-free diet in order to estimate the extent of endogenous losses of energy and amino acids in excreta. The average values per bird for nitrogen loss, endogenous energy losses (EEL) and endogenous energy losses corrected to zero-nitrogen balance (
Supported by : University of Georgia
- Hou, S. S., L. Zhao, J. Y. Yu, J.C. Huang and S. R. Wang. 1997. Effect of cockerel caecum on amino acid digestibility of soybean cake, fish and maize gluten meals. In: Studies on Animal Nutrition and Metabolism. Edited by the Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture, People’s Republic of China, pp.19-25.
- Johns, D. C., C. K. Low, J. R.. Sedcole and K. A. C. James. 1986. Determination of amino acid digestibility using caecectomised and intact adult cockerels. Br. Poult. Sci. 27:451-461. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668608416902
- Longstaff, M. and J. M. McNab. 1991. The inhibitory effects of hull polysaccharides and tannin of faba beans (Viciafaba L.) on the digestion of amino acids, starch and lipid and on digestive enzyme activities in youngchicks. British Journal of Nutrition 65: 199-216.
- McNab, J. M. and J. C. Blair. 1988. Modified assay for true and apparent metabolisable energy based on tube feeding. Br. Poult.. Sci. 29:697-707.
- Sibbald, T. R. 1979a. A bioassay for available amino acid and true metabolisable energy in feedingstuffs. Poult. Sci. 58:934-939.
- Yang, S. 1993. Measuring method of protein solubility. In: Feed Analyses and Supervision Technology of Quality of Feed. (Ed. S. Yang), Beijing Agricultural University Press, Beijing, China. pp. 183-185
- Sibbald, T. R. 1976. A bioassay for true metabolisable energy in feedingstuffs. Poult. Sci. 55:303-308. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0550303
- Tenesaca, G. and J. L. Sell. 1978. Influence of indigestible material on energy excretion and true metabolisable energy of corn. Poult. Sci. 57:1167-1175.
- Farrell, D. J., 1981. An assessment of quick bioassays for determining the true metabolisable energy and apparent energy of poultry foodstuffs. World Poult. Sci. J. 37:72-83.
- Kessler, J. W. and O. P. Thomas. 1979. A further evaluation of the true metabolisable energy systems. In: Proceedings of the Maryland Nutrition Conference, Washington, USA. pp. 83-87.
- Sibbald, T. R. 1979b. Bioavailable amino acids and true metabolisable energy of ceceal grains. Poult. Sci. 58:934-939.
- Sibbald, I. R. and M. S. Wolynetz. 1984. A longitudinal study of energy and nitrogen excretion by fasted cockerels. Poult. Sci. 63:691-702.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics 11: 1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Green, S. S. L. Bertrand, M. J. C. Duron and R. Maillard, 1987b. Digestibility of amino acids in soyabean, sunflower and groundnut meals, determined with intact and caecectomised cockerels. Br. Poult. Sci. 28:643-652.
- National Research Council, 1994. Nutrient Requirements of poultry. 9th rev. ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virgninia.
- Chinese Quality Technical Supervisory Bureau. 2000. Standard method to determine the amino acid content in feed. Method GB/T 18246-2000. Beijing, China.
- Green, S., S. L. Bertrand, M. J. C. Duron and R. Maillard, 1987a. Digestibility of amino acids in maize, wheat and barley meals, determined with intact and caecectomised cockerels. Br. Poult. Sci. 28:631-641.
- Ragland, D., C. R. Thomas, R. G. Elkin, D. J. Shafer and O. Adeola. 1999. The influence of cecectomy on metabolisable energy and amino acid digestibility of select feedstuffs for white Pekin ducks. Poult. Sci. 78:707-713.
- Sibbald, I. R. 1982. Measurement of bioavailable energy in poultry feedstuffs: A review, Can. J. Anim. Sci. 62:983-1048. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas82-123
- Sibbald, I. R. and P. M. Morse. 1983. The effects of feed input and excreta collection time on estimates of metabolic plus endogenous energy losses in the bioassay for true metabolisable energy. Poult. Sci. 62:68-76.
- Askbrant, S. U. S., 1988. Metabolisable energy content of rapeseed meal, soybean meal and white-flowered peas determined with laying hens and adult cockerels. Br. Poult. Sci. 29:445-455.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures and some application). Agriculture Handbook. No. 379. ARS, USDA, Washington. DC.
- Parsons, C. M. 1992. Application of the concept of amino acid availability in practical feed formulation. Zootecnica-Int. 12:64-69.
- Parsons, C. M. 1985. Influence of caecectomy on digestibility of amino acids by roosters fed distiller’s dried grains with solubles. J. Agric. Sci. 104:469-472. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600044178
- Han, Y. and C. M. Parsons. 1990. Determination of available amino acids and energy in alfalfa meal, feather meal and poultry by-product meal by various methods. Poult. Sci. 69:1544-1552.
- Yalcin, S. and A. G. Onol. 1994. True metabolisable energy values of some feedingstuffs. Br. Poult. Sci. 35:119-122.
- Green, S. and T. Kiener, 1989. Digestibilities of nitrogen and amino acids in soybean, sunflower, meat and rapeseed meals measured with pigs and poultry. Anim. Prod. 48: 157-179
- Shires, A., A. R. Robblee, R. T. Hardin and D. R. Clandinin. 1980. Effect of the age of chickens on the true metabolisable energy values of feed ingredients. Poult. Sci. 59:396-403.