- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Genetic Evaluation of First Lactation Traits in Sahiwal Cattle Using Restricted Maximum Likelihood Technique
- Choudhary, V. (Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Nagpur Veterinary College) ;
- Kothekar, M.D. (Dept. of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Nagpur Veterinary College) ;
- Raheja, K.L. (CCS Haryana Agriculture University) ;
- Kasturiwale, N.N. (Dept. of Statistics, Institute of Science) ;
- Khire, D.W. (Dept. of Animal Husbandry, Nagpur Veterinary college) ;
- Kumar, P. (Animal Genetics Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2002.09.17
- Accepted : 2003.02.03
- Published : 2003.05.01
The data on 283 Sahiwal cows, sired by 16 bulls, maintained at Cattle Breeding Farm of Nagpur Veterinary College and Dairy Farm of Agricultural College, Nagpur, were considered for the estimation of genetic parameters. Variance and covariance estimates of first lactation traits were obtained using restricted maximum likelihood technique (REML). When first lactation milk yield (FLMY), first lactation length (FLL) and average daily yield (ADY) traits were considered for REML analysis, the heritabilities were
REML;Convergence;Iteration;Canonical Transformation;Sahiwal Breed
- Chauhan, V. P. S. and J. F. Hayes. 1991. Genetic parameters for first lactation milk production and composition traits for Holsteins using multivariate restricted maximum likelihood. J. Dairy Sci. 74:603-610. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78207-6
- Chauhan, V. P. S. and P. Naraian. 1993. Estimates of relationship between milk yield and age at first calving in cattle using multivariate REML. Jour. Ind. Soc. Ag. Statistics. 45(2):243-248.
- Dahlin, A., U. N. Khan, A. H. Zafar, M. Saleem, M. A. Chaudhary and J. Philipsson. 1998. Genetic and environmental causes of variation in milk production traits of Sahiwal cattle in Pakistan. Anim. Sci. 66(2): 307-318. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800009437
- Raheja, K. L. 1993. Restricted maximum likelihood estimates of genetic parameters of first three lactation traits in Murrah buffaloes. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 46(4):147-154.
- Raheja, K. L. 1994. Genetic parameters for first lactation traits in Friesian-Hariana and Friesian-Sahiwal half breds estimated by multiple trait maximum likelihood procedure. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 64(6):616-621.
- Van Vleck, L. D., M. C. Dong and G. R. Wiggans. 1988. Genetic (co) variances for milk and fat yield in California, New York and Wisconsin for an animal model by restricted maximum likelihood. J. Dairy Sci. 71:3053-3060. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79905-1
- Ertuqrul, O., M. N. Orman and G. Guneren. 2002. Some genetic parameters of milk production in the Holstein breed. Turk Veterinerlik ve Hayvancilik Derqisi. 26(3):463-469.
- Jain, A. and D. K. Sadana. 2000. Heritability estimates under single and multi-trait animal model in Murrah buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(5):575-579.
- Jairath, L. K., J. F. Hayes and R.I. Cue. 1995. Correlation between first lactation and lifetime performance traits of Canadian Holsteins. J. Dairy Sci. 78(2):438-448. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76653-X
- Mantysaari, E. A. 1989. Estimation of genetic parameters for reproductive traits in Finnish Ayrshire cattle. Dissertation Abstract International. B. Science and Engineering. 49(12): 5133.
- Schaeffer, L. R. 1986. Estimation of variances and covariances within the allowable parameter space. J. Dairy Sci. 69:187-194. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80385-X
- Albuquerque, L. G., G. Dimov and J. F. Keown. 1995. Estimates using an animal model of (co) variances for the first lactation of Holstein cows in California and New York. J. Dairy Sci. 78: 1591-1596. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76783-2
- Lin, C. Y. and A. J. Lee. 1986. Sequential estimation of genetic and phenotypic parameters in multitrait mixed model analysis. J. Dairy Sci. 69:2696. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80716-0
- Chauhan, V. P. S. 1995. Genetic correlations between part and complete lactation milk yields from multi-trait analysis. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 48(2):170-171.
- Hossain, K. B., S. Takayanaqi, T. Miyake, K. Moriya, A. K. F. H. Bhuiyan, and Y. Sasaki. 2002. Statistical genetic studies on cattle breeding for dairy productivity in Bangladesh: I. Genetic improvement for milk performance of local cattle populations. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(5):627-632.
- Kaps, M. and M. Posavi. 1991. Estimates of the variance components for milk traits of Holstein-Friesian cows in Croatia by Henderson method 3 and REML. Poljoprivredna-Znanstvena-Smotra. 56(1-2):151-158.
- Lee, C. 2000. Methods and techniques for variance component estimation in animal breeding-review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(3):413-422.
- Beaumont, C. 1989. Restricted maximum likelihood estimation of genetic parameters for the first three lactations in the Montbeliarde dairy cattle breed. Genetics-Selection-Evolution. 21(4):493-506. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-21-4-493
- Raheja, K. L., A. K. Vinayak and S. Kalra. 2000. Genetic and phenotypic parameters estimated from single and multi-trait restricted maximum likelihood procedure. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 70(5):497-500.
- Lee, C. and E. J. Pollak. 1997. Influence of inbreeding depression on genetic (co)variance and sire-by-year interaction variance estimates for weaning weight direct-maternal genetic evaluation. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 10:510-513.
- Breeding and conservation programmes for Sahiwal cattle genetic resources in the tropics: a review vol.49, pp.2078-6344, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633611000336
- Estimation of genetic parameters of the productive and reproductive traits in Ethiopian Holstein using multi-trait models vol.30, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0198