- Volume 16 Issue 7
A group of Hanwoo (Korean cattle) steers (n=14,386) was sampled from a commercial abattoir located in Seoul over one year period (spring, summer, autumn and winter) and their carcass traits were collected. Carcass traits assessed by an official meat grader comprised degree of marbling, meat color, fat color, texture and maturity for quality grade, and back fat thickness, ribeye area and carcass weight for yield grade. A heavier carcass with a higher marbling score, more red meat color and white fat color received better quality grade (p<0.05). Regression analysis showed that the marbling score was the strongest attribute (partial
Quality Grade;Yield Grade;Slaughter Weight;Hanwoo
- Acker, D., J. V. Whiteman, E. Morris, R. Leverton, R. MacVicar and S. S. Pope. 1959. Some effects of stilbestrol and related hormones on feedlot performance and carcass merit of fed lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1255-1263. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1959.1841255x
- Animal products grading service. 1995. Report of business for animal products grading. APGS, Korea.
- Duckett, S. K., D. G. Wagner, L. D. Yates and S. G. May. 1993. Effects of time on feed on beef nutrient composition. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2079-2088. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7182079x
- Faulkner, D. B., F. K. McKeith, L. L. Berger, D. J. Kesler and D. F. Parrett. 1989. Effect of testosterone propionate on performance and carcass characteristics of heifers and cows. J. Anim. Sci. 67:1907-1915. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.6781907x
- Kreikemeier, K. K., J. A. Unruh and T. P. Eck. 1998. Factors affecting the occurrence of dark-cutting beef and selected carcass traits in finished beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76, 388-395. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.762388x
- Lorenzen, C. L., D. S. Hale, D. B. Griffin, J. W. Savell, K. E. Belk, T. L. Frederick, M. F. Miller, T. H. Montgomery and G. C. Smith. 1993. National beef quality audit: Survey of producerrelated defects and carcass quality and quantity attributes. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1495-1502. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7161495x
- Lunt, D. K. and L. E. Orme. 1987. Feedlot performance and carcass evaluation of heifers fed finishing diets as weanling calves or as yearlings. Meat Sci. 20:159-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90035-0
- May, S. G., W. L. Mies, J. W. Edwards, F. L. Williams, J. W. Wise, J. B. Morgan, J. W. Savell and H. R. Cross. 1992. Beef carcass composition of slaughter cattle differing in frame size, muscle score, and external fatness. J. Anim. Sci. 70:2431.
- Miller, M. F., C. R. Kerth, J. W. Wise, J. L. Lansdell, J. E. Stowell and C. B. Ramsey. 1997. Slaughter plant location, USDA quality grade, external fat thickness, and aging time effects on sensory characteristics of beef loin strip steak. J. Anim. Sci. 75:662-667. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.753662x
- Mukai, F., K. Oyama and S. Kohno. 1995. Genetic relationships between performance test traits and field carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. Livestock Production Sci. 44:199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(95)00069-0
- Myers, S. E., D. B. Faulkner, F. A. Ireland, L. L. Berger and D. F. Parrett. 1999. Production systems comparing early weaning to normal weaning with or without creep feeding for beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 77:300-310. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772300x
- Short, R. E., E. E. Grings, M. D. MacNeil, R. K. Heitschmidt, C. B. Williams and G. L. Bennett. 1999. Effects of sire growth potential, growing-finishing strategy, and time on feed on performance, composition, and efficiency of steer. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2406-2417. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7792406x
- Vergara, H., A. Molina and L. Gallego. 1999. Influence of sex and slaughter weight on carcass and meat quality in light and medium weight lambs produced in intensive systems. Meat Sci. 52:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00171-5
- Cranwell, C. D., J. A. Unruh, J. R. Brethour and D. D. Simms. 1996a. Influence of steroid implants and concentrate feeding on carcass and longissimus muscle sensory and collagen characteristics of cull beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1777-1783. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7481777x
- O'Mara, F. M., S. E. Williams, J. D. Tatum, G. G. Hilton, T. D. Pringle, J. W. Wise and F. L. Williams. 1998. Prediction of slaughter cow composition using live animal and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1594-1603. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7661594x
- Rossi, J. E., S. C. Loerch and F. L. Fluharty. 2000. Effects of crude protein concentration in diets of feedlot steers fed to achieve stepwise increases in rate of gain. J. Anim. Sci. 78:3036-3044. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78123036x
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT User`s Guide: Version 6. 4th edn. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Kouba, M., D. Hermier and J. Le Dividich. 2001. Influence of a high ambient temperature on lipid metabolism in the growing pig. J. Anim. Sci. 79: 81-87. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79181x
- Van Koevering, M. T., D. R. Gill, F. N. Owens, H. G. Dolezal and C. A. Strasia. 1995. Effect of time on feed on performance of feedlot steers, carcass characteristics, and tenderness and composition of longissimus muscles. J. Anim. Sci. 73:21-28. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73121x
- Griffin, D. B. 1992. Excessive seam fat in primals and subprimals; excess fat in beef trimmings. In: Smith, G. C(Ed.). 1991. The final report of the national beef quality audit. Colorado State University, Fort Collins and Texas A & M University, College Station.
- Hong, S. K., B. H. Baek, B. S. Lee, W. M. Cho, H. S. Kang and J. M. Lee. 1996. Effects of growth performance and beef quality for various market weights and castration of Hanwoo. RDA. J. Agriculture Sci. (in Korean) 38:705-715.
- Ray, D. E., W. H. Hale and J. A. Marchello. 1969. Influence of season, sex, and hormonal growth stimulants on feedlot performance of beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 29, 490-495. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1969.293490x
- Dikeman, M. E., K. N. Nagele, S. M. Myers, R. R. Schalles, D. H. Kropf, C. L. Kastner and F. A. Russo. 1985. Accelerated versus conventional beef production and processing. J. Anim. Sci. 61:137-150. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.611137x
- Abraham, H. C., C. E. Murphey, H. R. Cross, G. C. Smith and W. J. Jr. Franks. 1980. Factors affecting beef carcass cutability: An evaluation of the USDA yield grades for beef. J. Anim. Sci. 50:841. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.505841x
- Animal products grading service. 2001. Report of business for animal products grading. APGS, Korea.
- Hilton, G. G., J. D. Tatum, S. E. Willams, K. E. Belk, F. L. Williams, J. W. Wise and G. C. Smith. 1998. An evaluation of current and alternative systems for quality grading carcasses of mature slaughter cows. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2094-2103. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7682094x
- Mitlohner, F. M., J. L. Morrow, J. W. Dailey, S. C. Wilson, M. L. Galyean, M. F. Miller and J. J. McGlone. 2001. Shade and misting effects on behavior, physiology, performance, and carcass traits of heat-stressed feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2327-2335. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.7992327x
- Apple, J. K., J. C. Davis, J. Stephenson, J. E. Hankins, J. R. Davis and S. L. Beaty. 1999. Influence of body condition score on carcass characteristics and subprimal yield from cull beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 77: 2660-2669. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.77102660x
- Boleman, S. L., S. J. Boleman, W. W. Morgan, D. S. Hale, D. B. Griffin, J. W. Savell, R. P. Ames, M. T. Smith, J. D. Tatum, T. G. Field, G. C. Smith, B. A. Gardner, J. B. Morgan, S. L. Northcutt, H. G. Dolezal and F. K. Ray. 1998. National Beef Quality Audit-1995: Survey of producer-related defects and carcass quality and quantity attributes. J. Anim. Sci. 76:96-103. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.76196x
- Park, G. B., S. S. Moon, Y. D. Ko, J. K. Ha, H. H. Chang and S. T. Joo. 2002. Influence of slaughter weight and sex on yield and quality grades of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 80:129-136. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.801129x
- Brouwer, E. 1965. Report of sub-committee on constants and factors. In: K. L. Blaxter (Ed.) Energy metabolism. Publish No. 11. (pp. 441-444), European Assoc. Animal Product Academy Press, London and New York.
- Dikeman, M. E., L. W. Cundiff, K. E. Gregory, K. E. Kemp and R. M. Koch. 1998. Relative contributions of subcutaneous and intermuscular fat to yield and predictability of retail product, fat trim, and bone in beef carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1604-1612.
- Jeremiah, L. E. 1996. The influence of subcutaneous fat thickness and marbling on beef: Palatability and consumer acceptability. Food Research International, 29:513-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(96)00049-X
- Geay, Y. 1984. Energy and protein utilization in growing cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 58:766-778. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.583766x
- Harris, J. J., D. K. Lunt, S. B. Smith, W. L. Mies, D, S. Hale, M. Koohmaraie and J. W. Savell. 1997. Live animal performance, carcass traits, and meat palatability of calf- and yearling-fed cloned steers. J. Anim. Sci. 75: 986-992. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.754986x
- Kauffman, R. G., M. E. Van Ess, R. A. Long and D. M. Schaefer. 1975. Marbling: Its use in predicting beef carcass composition. J. Anim. Sci. 40:235.
- Paisley, S. I., G. W. Horn, C. J. Ackerman, B. A. Gardner and D. S. Secrist. 1999. Effects of implants on daily gains of steers wintered on dormant native tallgrass prairie, subsequent performance, and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 77:291-299. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772291x
- Smith, G. C., J. W. Savell, H. R. Cross, Z. L. Carpenter, C. E. Murphy, G. W. Davis, H. C. Abraham, F. C. Parrish and B. W. Berry. 1987. Relationship of USDA quality grades to palatability of cooked beef. J. Food Qua., 10:269. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1987.tb00819.x
- Owens, F. N., D. R. Gill, D. S. Secrist and S. W. Coleman. 1995. Review of some aspects of growth and development of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 73: 3152-3172. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73103152x
- Savell, J. W., H. R. Cross, J. J. Francis, J. W. Wise, D. S. Hale, D. L. Wilkes and G. C. Smith. 1989. National consumer retail beef study: Interaction of trim level, price and grade on consumer acceptance of beef steaks and roasts. J. Food Qua., 12:251. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1989.tb00328.x
- Hermesmeyer, G. N., L. L. Berger, T. G. Nash and Jr. R. T. Brandt. 2000. Effects of energy intake, implantation, and subcutaneous fat end point on feedlot steer performance and carcass composition. J. Anim. Sci. 78:825-831. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.784825x
- Matulis, R. J., F. K. McKeith, D. B. Faulkner, L. L. Berger and P. George. 1987. Growth and carcass characteristics of cull cows after different times-on-feed. J. Anim. Sci. 65:669-674. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.653669x
- Effect of Carcass Traits on Carcass Prices of Holstein Steers in Korea vol.26, pp.10, 1970, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13109
- Meat Quality Traits of Longissimus Muscle of Hanwoo Steers as a Function of Interaction between Slaughter Endpoint and Chiller Ageing vol.32, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.4.414
- Effect of Marbling Score on Carcass Grade Factors, Physico-chemical and Sensory Traits of M. Longissimus Dorsi in Hanwoo vol.32, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.5.659
- Comparison of Physicochemical and Functional Traits of Hanwoo Steer Beef by the Quality Grade vol.34, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.3.287
- Comparison of Carcass and Sensory Traits and Free Amino Acid Contents among Quality Grades in Loin and Rump of Korean Cattle Steer vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0128
- Association of carcass weight with quality and functional properties of beef from Hanwoo steers vol.55, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN13411
- Potential of bamboo vinegar with liquid probiotics on growth performance, fecal microbiology and fecal odorous gas emissions from finishing pigs vol.10, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJMR2016.7936
- Genetic correlation between live body measurements and beef cutability traits in Hanwoo steers vol.30, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0692
- Effect of alcohol dehydrogenase 1C (ADH1C) genotype on vitamin A restriction and marbling in Korean native steers vol.30, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0708
- Genetic parameters for yearling weight, carcass traits, and primal-cut yields of Hanwoo cattle1 vol.93, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7953
- beef cattle vol.23, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/19768354.2018.1512522
Supported by : Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF)