- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Plasma Protein Profile of Neonatal Buffalo Calves in Relation to the Protein Profile of Colostrum/Milk during First Week Following Parturition
- Lone, Abdul Gani (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, COVS, P.A.U.) ;
- Singh, Charanbir (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, COVS, P.A.U.) ;
- Singha, S.P.S. (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, COVS, P.A.U.)
- Received : 2002.07.15
- Accepted : 2002.10.05
- Published : 2003.03.01
An investigation was made into the protein profile of colostrum/milk of ten Murrah buffaloes and of their ten buffalo calves during their first week of neonatal life to study the materno-neonatal transfer of immunoglobulins (Ig). Calves were pail fed 3.5 liter of colostrum and/or milk per calf/day exclusively from their dam. First blood sample from newborn calves was collected before colostrum feeding on the day of birth (day zero) and the sampling continued daily for seven days after colostrum/milk feeding. Colostrum/milk Ig and IgG values were
- Jalnapurkar, B. V., S. M. Aajinkya and P. D. Sardeshpande. 1976. Immunoglobulin-G in the sera of new born buffalo calves. Vet. Rec. 99:146.
- Kurz, M. M. and L. B. Willet. 1991. Carbohydrate, enzyme and hematology dynamics in newborn calves. J. Dairy Sci. 74(7): 2109-2118. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78383-5
- Larson, B. L., H. L. Leary and J. E. Devery. 1980. Immunoglobulin production and transport by mammary glands. J. Dairy Sci. 63: 665-671. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82988-2
- Naylor, J. M. and D. S. Kronfeld. 1977. Refractometry as a measure of immunoglobulin status of the new born calf: Comparison with the zinc sulfate turbidity test and single radio immunodiffusion. American J. Veterinary Research 38:1331-1334.
- O'Kelley, J. C. 1991. Serum immunoglobulin concentration in different types of suckling beef calves in tropical environment. Aust. Vet. J. 68:261-263. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1991.tb03235.x
- Pierce, A. E. 1955. Electrophoretic and immunological studies on sera of calves from birth to weaning. Journal of Hygiene. 53:247. (Cited by Kekwick, R.A. In: Advances in Protein Chemistry. Vol. XIV. 1959. pp. 231-254).
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1976. Statistical Method. Iowa. Iowa State University Press, USA.
- Nazki, A. R. 1995. The interaction between glucocorticoid and somatotropin in modulating the immune system status in neonatal buffalo calves. Ph.D. Dissertation P. A. U. Ludhiana.
- Geene, J. J. 1986. Secretion of colostrum and the quality of colostrum. Dairy Sci. Abstr. 48:Abstr. 5826.
- Ishikawa, H. and T. Konishi. 1982. Changes in serum immunoglobulin concentrations of young calves. Jap. J. Vet Sci. 44:555-563. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms1939.44.555
- Brambell, F. W. R. 1970. The transmission of passive immunity from mother to young. In: Frontiers of Biology Vol. 18 (Ed. A. N. Nenberger and E. L. Tatum). North Holland Pub. Co., Amsterdam. p. 201.
- Reinhold, J. G. 1953. Total protein, albumin and globulin. In: Standard methods of Clinical Chemistry. Vol. 1, New York, Academic Press. p. 88.
- Kholand, V. M., I. M. Kapputs, L. A. Knyazena and M. P. Kuchynski. 1985. Changes in protein composition and auto antibodies of cow's colostrum. Dairy Sci. Abstr. 47: Abstr. 2811.
- Vann, R. C., J. W. Holloway, G. E. Carstens, M. E. Boyd and R. D. Randel. 1995. Influence of calf genotype on colostral immunoglobulins in Bos Taurus and Bos indicus cows serum immunoglobulins in their calves. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3044-3050. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73103044x
- Kishtwaria, R. K., S. K. Misra and P. C. Chaudhari. 1983. Status of total protein, gammaglobulin, sodium and potassium in serum of buffalo calves with enteric colibacillosis. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 53:558-560.
- Kulkarni, B. A. 1981. Immunoglobulins of the Indian buffalo. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 52:587-589. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.523587x
- Lowry, O. H., W. J. Rosebroough, A. L. Furr and R. H. Randall.1951. Protein measurement with the Folin-Phenol reagent. J. Bio. Chem. 193: 265-275.
- Husband, A. J., M. R. Brandon and A. K. Lascelles. 1972. Absorption and endogenous production of colostrum in calves. Aust. J. Exp. Bio. Med. Sci. 51:491-498.
- Sridhar, S., P. Pachauri and R. Kumar. 1988. Hematological changes in calves during neonatal life. Ind. J. Anim. Hlth. 27:105-109.
- Maria, C. G. de., M. Verna and G. Catillo. 1990. Chemical composition of colostrum of water buffaloes in six postpartum milkings. In: Proceedings of the 2nd World Buffalo Congress (Ed. R. M. Acharya, R. Lokeshwar and A. T. Kumar). Indian Society of Buffalo Development and Indian Council of Agricultural Research. pp. 231-237.
- Joshi, V. B. 1990. Ig profile of buffalo calves. Ph. D. Dissertation, P. A. U., Ludhiana.
Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage
$T_4$. Nature. 277:680-685.
- Logan, E. F., D. G. R. Mcbeath and B. G. Lowman.1974.Quantitative studies on serum immunoglobulin level in suckled calves from birth to five weeks. Vet. Rec. 94:367-370. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.94.16.367
- Manhas, R. S. 1993. Development status of immune system in neonatal buffalo calves. M. V. Sc. Thesis, P. A. U., Ludhiana.
- Singh, L. N., N. C. Nath, K. Ashok., P. L. Yadav and H. S. Pandey. 1982. A full lactation study on the milk protein profile and casein composition in domestic water buffaloes. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 35:239-243.
- Stott, G. H., D. B. Marx., B. E. Menfea and G. T. Nightenga.1979. Colostal immunoglobulin transfer in calves. Period absorption. J. Dairy Sci. 62:1632-1638. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(79)83472-4
- Swecker, S. S,, D. T. Craig, E. E. Dan, J. B. Dennis and G. S. Gerhardt. 1995. Effect of supplementation in cows grazing selenium deficient pastures and on post suckle serum IgG concentration in their calves. Am. J. Vet. Res. 56(4):450-453.
- Bush, L. J. and T. E. Staley. 1980. Absorption of colostral Ig in newborn calves. J. Dairy Sci. 63:672-680. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82989-4
- McEvan, A. D., E. W. Fisher and I. E. Salman. 1970. Observations on the immunoglobulin levels of neonatal buffalo calves and their relationship to diseases. J. Comp. Path. 80:259-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9975(70)90093-9
- Abraham, R. 1988. Transmission of immunity to offsprings before and after birth in different species. Ph.D. Dissertation submitted to PAU, Ludhiana.
- Oser, B. L. 1965. Blood and other body fluids. In: Hawk's Physiological Chemistry. McGraw Hill Inc., New York. pp. 321-367.
- Sapre, V. A. and P. K. Ramadwar. 1977. Serum gamma globulins in relation to neonatal calf mortality among Indian cow calves and buffalo calves. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 47:617-624.