- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect of Exogenous Porcine GH Administration on GH Responses to GH-releasing Peptide-2 and GH-releasing Hormone in Swine
- Nou, V. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Tomoshi, K. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Inoue, H. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Matsunaga, N. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Kuwayama, H. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Hidari, H. (Laboratory of Animal Production, Department of Animal Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine)
- Received : 2002.09.26
- Accepted : 2003.02.04
- Published : 2003.08.01
Negative feedback on GH responses to GH-releasing hormone (GHRH) and GH-releasing peptides (GHRPs) has been reported and this action has been suggested to act through an increase in somatostatin. To determine whether the acute administration of porcine GH (pGH) inhibits GH responsiveness to GHRP-2 and GHRH in swine, swine were intravenously administered with pGH (5
Supported by : Grants-in-aid to H.H.
- Anderson, S. M., L. Wideman, J. T. Patrie, A. Weltman, C. Y. Bowers and J. D. Veldhuis. 2001. E2 supplementation selectively relieves GH's autonegative feedback on GHreleasing peptide-2-stimulated GH secretion. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 86:5904-5911. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.86.12.5904
- Chihara, K., N. Minamitani, H. Kaji, A. Arimura and T. Fujita. 1981. Intraventricularly injected growth hormone stimulates somatostatin release into rat hypophysial portal blood. Endocrinology 109:2279-2281. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-109-6-2279
- Hashizume, T., K. Sasaki, M. Sakai, S. Tauchi and H. Masuda. 1997. The effect of new growth hormone-releasing peptide (KP102) on the release of growth hormone in goats. Anim. Sci. J. (Jpn) 68:247-256.
- Massara, F., E. Ghigo, S. Goffi, M. G. Molinatti, E. E. Müller and F. Camanni. 1984. Blockade of hp-GHRH-40 induced release in normal men by a cholinergic muscarinic antagonist. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 59:1025-1026. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-59-5-1025
- Penalva, A., A. Carballo, M. Pombo, F. F. Casanueva and C. Dieguez. 1993. Effect of growth hormone (GH)-releasing hormone (GHRH), Atropine, Pyridostigmine, or hypoglycemia on GHRP-6-induced GH secretion in man. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 76:168-171. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.76.1.168
- Phung, L. T., H. Inoue, V. Nou, H. G. Lee, R. A. Vega, N. Matsunaga, S. Hidaka, H. Kuwayama and H. Hidari. 2000. The effects of growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 (GHRP-2) on the release of growth hormone and growth performance in swine. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 18:279-291.
- Phung, L. T., N. Matsunaga, S. Hidaka, H. Kuwayama and H. Hidari. 2001. Growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 (GHRP-2) acts synergistically with growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH) to release growth hormone (GH) in swine. Anim. Sci. J. (Jpn) 72:315-321.
- Roh, S. G., M. L. He, N. Matsunaga, S. Hidaka and H. Hidari. 1997b. No desensitization of the growth hormone (GH) response between GH-releasing peptide-2 and GH-releasing factor in calves. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2749-2753. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75102749x
- Sillence, M. N. and T. D. Etherton. 1987. Determination of the temporal relationship between porcine growth hormone, serum IGF-1 and cortisol concentrations in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1019-1023.
- Bowers, C. Y. 1993. GH releasing peptides-Structure and kenetics. J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. 6:21-31.
- Muller, E. E., V. De Gennaro Colonna, S. G. Cella, A. Torsello, E. Ghigo, S. Loche, V. Arce, D. Cocchi and V. Locatelli. 1991. Autoregulation of growth hormone axis. In: S. Melmed, R. J. Robbins (Ed.), Molecular and clinical advances in pituitary disorders, Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford, pp. 177-190.
- Lanzi, R. and G. S. Tannenbaum. 1992. Time-dependent reduction and potentiation of growth hormone (GH) responsiveness to GH-releasing factor induced by exogenous GH: Role for somatostatin. Endocrinology 130:1822-1828. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.130.4.1822
- Nakagawa, T., K. Ukai, T. Ohyama, M. Koida and H. Okamura. 1996. Effects of the synthesized growth hormone releasing peptides, KP102, on growth hormone release in sodium glutamate monohydrate-treated low growth rats. Life Sci. 59: 705-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(96)00356-6
- Pihoker, C., R. Middleton, G. A. Reynolds, C. Y. Bowers and T. M. Badger. 1995. Diagnostic studies with intravenous and intranasal growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 in children of short stature. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 80:2987-2992. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.80.10.2987
- Gondo, R. G., M. H. Aguiar-Oliveira, C. Y. Hayashida, S. P. Toledo, N. Abelin, M. A. Levine, C. Y. Bowers, A. H. Souza, R. M. Pereira, N. L. Santos and R. Salvatori. 2001. Growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 stimulates GH secretion in GHdeficient patients with mutated GH-releasing hormone receptor. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 86:3279-3283. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.86.7.3279
- Howard, A. D., S. D. Feighner, D. F. Cully, J. P. Arena, P. A. Liberator, C. I. Rosenblum, M. Hamelin, D. L. Hreniuk, O. C. Palyha, J. Anderson, P. S. Paress, C. Diaz, M. Chou, K. K. Liu, K. K. McKee, S. S. Pong, L. Y. Chaung, A. Elbrecht, M. Dashkevicz, R. Heavens, M. Rigby, D. J. Sirinathsinghji, D. C. Dean, D. G. Melillo and L. H. Van der Ploeg, et al., 1996. A receptor in pituitary and hypothalamus that functions in growth hormone release. Science 273:974-977. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.273.5277.974
- Roh, S. G., M. L. He, N. Matsunaga, S. Hidaka and H. Hidari. 1997a. Mechanisms of action of growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 in bovine pituitary cells. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2744-2748. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.75102744x
- Ross, R. J., F. Borges, A. Grossman, R. Smith, L. Ngahfoong, L. M. Rees, M. O. Savage and G. M. Besser. 1987. Growth hormone pretreatment in man blocks the response to growth hormone-releasing hormone: evidence for a direct effect of growth hormone. Clin. Endocrinol. 26:117-123. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.1987.tb03645.x
- Chen, C., D. Wu and I. J. Clark. 1996. Signal transduction systems employed by synthetic GH-releasing peptides in somatotrophs. J. Endocrinol. 148:381-386. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1480381
- Meacham, L. R., F. L. Culler, H. Abdul-Latif, K. M. Sullivan and C. Y. Bowers. 1999. Preservation of growth hormone secretion in response to growth hormone-releasing peptide-2 during prednisone therapy. Metabolism 48:585-589. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0495(99)90055-0
- Rosenbaum, M., R. L. Leibel and J. M. Gertner. 1989. Acute inhibition of somatotroph response to human growth hormonereleasing hormone 1-44 occurs following three hours but not one hour of the growth hormone infusion. Metabolism 38:590-593. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(89)90223-0
Sawada, H., H. Sugihara, H. Onose, S. Minami, T. Shibasaki and I. Wakabayashi. 1994. Effect of D-Ala-D-
$\beta$Nal-Ala-Trp-D-Phe-Lys- $NH_2$(KP102) on GH secretion in urethan- anesthetized rats. Regul. Pept. 53:195-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-0115(94)90168-6
- Casanueva, F. F., L. Villanueva, C. Dieguez, J. A. Cabranes, Y. Diaz, B. Szoke, M. F. Scanlon, A. V. Schally and A. Fernandez-Cruz. 1986. Atropine blockade of growth hormone (GH)-releasing hormone-induced GH secretion in man is not exerted at pituitary level. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 62:186-191. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-62-1-186
- Rosenthal, S. M., S. L. Kaplan and M. M. Grumbach. 1989. Shortterm continuous intravenous infusion of growth hormone (GH) inhibits GH-releasing hormone-induced GH secretion: A timedependent effect. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab 68:1101-1105. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-68-6-1101
- Smith, C. A. and M. D. Ficken. 1991. Non-surgical cannulation of the vena cava for chronic blood collection in mature swine. Lab. Anim. Sci. 41:274-287.