- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Production of Retinol-binding Protein by Caprine Conceptus during the Time Period of Maternal Recognition of Pregnancy
- Liu, K.H. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chiayi University)
- Received : 2002.11.18
- Accepted : 2003.03.14
- Published : 2003.07.01
The purpose of the study were to characterize the proteins secreted by elongating caprine conceptus, to identify a group of low molecular weight proteins as retinol-binding protein (RBP), to identify RBP cell-specific localization in conceptus tissue, and to demonstrate that the conceptuses secreted continuously RBP during the time period maternal recognition of pregnancy. Caprine conceptuses were removed from the uterus between days 16 and 22 of pregnancy, the time period maternal recognition of pregnancy. Isolated conceptuses were cultured in a modified minimum essential medium in the presence of radiolabeled amino acids. Proteins synthesized and secreted into medium were analyzed by fluorography of two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and fluorography. At least five proteins showed consistently a grouping of spots with characteristic location on two-dimensional gels. A major low molecular weight protein consisted of two major isoforms (pI 5.3-6.0) of similar molecular mass (21 kDa) was identified as RBP by using antiserum against RBP. Presence of RBP in conceptus culture medium and uterine flushings between days 16 and 22 of pregnancy were determined by immunoprecipitation and Western blotting using anti-RBP serum. In immunocytochemical study, strong immunostaining for RBP was localized in trophectoderm and endoderm of conceptus. These results clearly demonstrated that the caprine conceptus was active in protein synthesis as early as day 16 of pregnancy. Secretion of RBP by caprine conceptuses (days 16-22) coincident with the rapid transformation of the conceptus from a spherical blastocyst to a filamentous structure. Production of RBP by the elongating conceptuses may be indicative of an important role for conceptus RBP in the transport, availability and metabolism of retinol during maternal recognition of pregnancy.
Supported by : Department of Animal Science, University of Tennessee
- Chamberlain, J. P. 1979. Fluorographic detection of radioactivity in polyacrylamide gels with the water soluble fluor sodium salicylate. Anal Biochem. 98:132-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90716-4
- Gnatek, G. G., L. D. Smith, R. T. Duby and J. D. Godkin. 1989. Maternal recognition of pregnancy in THC goat: Effects of conceptus removal on interestrus intervals and characterization of conceptus protein production during early pregnancy. Biol. Reprod. 42:655-663.
- Martin, C. A., L. M. Ziegler and J. L. Napoli. 1990. Retinoic acid, dibutyryl-cAMP, and differentiation affect the expression of retinoic acid receptors in F9 cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 87:4804-4808. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.87.12.4804
Miller, D. A., A. Lee, Y. Matsui, E. Y. Chen, H. L. Moses and R. Derynck. 1989b. Complementary DNA cloning of the murine transforming growth factor-
$\beta$3 (TGF- $\beta$3) precursor and the comparative expression of TGF- $\beta$3 and TGF- $\beta$1 messenger RNA in murine embryos and adult tissues. Mol. Endocrinol. 3:1926-1934. https://doi.org/10.1210/mend-3-12-1926
- Northey D. L. and L. R. French. 1980. Effect of embryo removal and intrauterine infusion of embyonic homogenates on the lifespan of the bovine corpus luteum. J. Anim. Sci. 50:298-302. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.502298x
Schmid, P., D. Cox, G. Bilbe, R. Maier and G. K. McMaster. 1991. Differential expression of TGF
$\beta$1, $\beta$2 and $\beta$3 genes during mouse embryogenesis. Development 111:117-130.
- Shapiro, S. S. 1986. Retinoids and epithelial differentiation. In: Retinoids and Cell Differentiation (Ed. M. I. Sherman). Boca Raton, FL, CRC Press, Inc. pp. 29-59.
- Stewart, H. J., S. H. E. Mccann, P. J. Barker, K. E. Lee, G. E. Lamming and A. P. F. Fling. 1987. Infereron sequence homology and receptor binding activity of ovine trophoblast antiluteolytic protein. J. Endocrinol. 115:R13-15. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.115R013
- Thatcher, W. W., P. J. Hansen, T. S. Gross, S. D. Helmer C. plante, and E. W. Hazer. 1989. Antiluteolytic effects of bovine trophoblast protein-1. J. Reprod. Fert. Suppl 37:91-99.
- Liu, K. H., G. A. Baumbach, P. M. Gillevet and J. D. Godkin. 1990. Purification and characterization of bovine placental retinolbinding protein. Endocrinology 127:2696-2704. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-127-6-2696
- Godkin, J. D., F. W. Bazer, J. Moffatt, F. Sessions and R. M.Roberts. 1982. Purification and properties of a major low molecular weight protein released by the trophoblast of sheep blastocysts at Day 13-20. J. Reprod. Fert. 65:141-150. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0650141
- Liu, K. H., K. X. Goa, G. A. Baumbach and J. D. Godkin. 1992a. Purification and Immunolocalization of ovine placental retinolbinding protein. Biol. Reprod. 46:23-29. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod46.1.23
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Roberts, R. M., G. A. Baumbach, W. C. Buhi, F. B. Denny, L. A. Fitzgerald, S. Babelyn and M. N. Horst. 1984. Analysis of membrane polypeptides by two–dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. In: Molecular and Chemical Characterization of Membrane Receptors (Ed. J. C. Ventor and L. C. Harison). Allen R. Liss, Inc., New York. pp.61-113.
- Goodman, D. S. 1984. Plasma retinol-binding protein. In: The Retinoids (Ed. M. B. Sporn, B. Roberts and D. S. Goodman). Academic Press, Orlando, Florida. pp.41-88.
- Minic, Z., J. Hranisavljevic and D. Vucelic. 1997. Isolation and characterization of isoforms of retinol binding protein by isoelectrofocusing. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Int. 41:1057-1066.
- Stewart, H. J., A. P. F. Flint, G. E. Lamming, S. H. E. McCann, and T. J. parkinson. 1989. Antiluteolytic effeces of blastocystsecreted interferon investigated in vitro and in vivo in the sheep. J. Reprod. Fertil. Suppl. 37:127-138.
- Godkin, J. D., B. J. Lifsey and B. E. Gillespie. 1988a. Characterization of bovine conceptus proteins produced during the peri- and postattachment periods of early pregnancy. Biol. Reprod. 38:703-711. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod38.3.703
- Hendriks, H. F. J., J. Brouwer and D. L. Knook. 1987. The role of hepatic fat-strong (stellate) cells in retinoid metabolism. Hapatology 7:1368-1371. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840070630
- Silcox, R. W., H. Francis, and R. M. Roberts. 1988. The effects o f ovine trophoblast protein-l (oTp-l) on ovine endometrial protein synthesis are mimicked by human alpha-1 interferon. J. Anim. Sci. 66 (Supp 1.):153-154.
- Salamonsen, L. A., S. J. Stuchbery, C. M. 01Grady, J. D. Godkin and J. K. Findlay. 1988. Interferon-alpha mimics effects of ovine trophoblast protein-l on prostaglandin and protein secretion by ovine endometrial cells in vitro. J. Endocr. 117:R1-4. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.117R001
- Vieira, A. V., W. J. Schneider and P. M. Vieira. 1995. retinoids: transport, metabolism, and mechanisms of action. J. Endocrinology 146:201-217. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1460201
- Brockes, J. P. 1989. Retinoids, homeobox genes and limb morphogenesis. Neuron 2:1285-1294. https://doi.org/10.1016/0896-6273(89)90066-4
- Lifsey, B. J., G. A. Baumbach and J. D. Godkin. 1989. Isolation, characterization and immunocytochemical localization of bovine trophoblast protein-1. Biol. Reprod. 40:343-352. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod40.2.343
- Bartol, F. E., R. M. Roberts, F. W. Hazer, G. S. Lewis, J. D. Godkin and W. W. Thatcher. 1985. Characterizatlon of proteins produced in vitro by periattachment bovine conceptuses. Biol. Reprod. 32:681-693. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod32.3.681
- Godkin, J. D., F. N. Hazer, W. W. Thatcher and R. M. Roberts. 1984b. Proteins released by Day 15-16 conceptuses prolong luteal maintenance when introduced into the uterine lumen of cyclic ewes. J. Reprod. Fertil. 71:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0710057
Heine, U. I., E. F. Munoz, K. C. Flanders, L. R. Ellingsworth, H. Y. Lam, N. L. Thompson, A. B. Roberts and M. B. Sporn. 1987. Role of transforming growth factor-
$\beta$in the development of the mouse embryo. J. Cell Biol. 105:2861-2876. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.105.6.2861
Miller, D. A., A. Lee, R. W. Pelton, E. Y. Chen, H. L. Moses and R. Derynck. 1989a. Murine transforming growth factor-
$\beta$2 cDNA sequence and expression in adult tissues and embryos. Mol. Endocrinol. 3:1108-1114. https://doi.org/10.1210/mend-3-7-1108
- Plante, C., P. J. Hansen, and W. W. Thatcher. 1988. Prolongation of luteal lifespan in cows by intrauterine infusion of recombinant bovine alpha- interferon. J. Endocrinol. 122:2342-2344. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-122-5-2342
- Moor, R. M. and L. E. A. Rowson. 1966. The corpus luteum of the sheep: effect of the removal of embryos on luteal function. J. Endocr. 34:487-502.
- Godkin, J. D., B. J. Lifsey and G. A. Baumbach. 1988b. Characterization of protein production by bovine chorionic and allantoic membranes. Biol. Reprod. 39:195-204. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod39.1.195
Munson, L. L., J. E. Wilkinson and M. K. Bechtel. 1992. Transforming growth factor-
$\beta$and platelet-derived growth factor are synergistic mitogens for bovine trophoblastic and endometrial epithelial cells. Biol. Reprod. 46(suppl. 1):67 (abstr.).
- Vallet, J. L., F. W. Bazer and R. M. Roberts. 1987. The effect of ovine trophoblast protein-l on endometrial protein secretion and cyclic nucleotides. Biol. Reprod. 37:1307-1315. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod37.5.1307
- Roberts, R. M., K. Imakawa, Y. Niwano, M. Kazemi, P. V. Malathy, T. R. Hansen, A. A. Glass, and L. H. Kronenberg. 1989. Interferon production by the preimplantation sheep embryo. J. Interf. Res. 9:171-83.
- Wolf, G. 1984. Multiple functions of vitamin A. Physiol. Rev. 64:873-937.
- Liu, K. H., J. C. Huang and J. D. Godkin. 1995. Characterization of protein production by caprine placental membranes: identification and Immunolocalization of retinol-binding protein. J. Endocrinol. 146:527-534. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1460527
- Pontzer, C. H., B. A. Torres, J. L. vallet, F. W. Bazer, H. M. Johnson. 1988. Antiviral activity of the pregnancy recognition hormone ovine trophoblast protein-1. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Conmun. 152:801-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(88)80109-8
- Geisert, R. D. and J. R. Malayer. 2000. Implantation. In: Reproduction in Farm Animals. (Ed. E. S. E. Hafez and B. Hafez). Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, New York. pp.126-139
- Liu, K. H. and J. D. Godkin. 1992b. Characterization and Immunolocalization of bovine uterine retinol-binding protein. Biol. Reprod. 47:1099-1104. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod47.6.1099
- Betteriodge, K. J., M. D. Eaglesome, G. C. B. Randal and D. Mitchell. 1980. Collection, description and transfer of embryos from cattle 10-16 days after oestrus. J. Reprod. Fert. 59:205-216. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0590205
- Godkin, J. D., F. W. Hazer and R. M. Roberts. 1984a. Ovine trophoblast protein-1, an early secreted blastocyst protein, binds specifically to uterine endometrium and affects protein synthesis. Endocrinology 114:120-130. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-114-1-120
- Homeida, A. M. and R. G. Cook. 1982. Peripheral plasma concentrations of 13, 14-dihydro-15-keto-prostaglandin F2 and progesterone around luteolysis and early pregnancy in the goat. Prostaglandins 24:313-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-6980(82)90158-7
- Wolf, G. 1984. Multiple functions of vitamin A. Physiol. Rev. 64:873-937. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19126.96.36.1993
Kang, W. J., D. S. Sex and Y. Ko. 2002. Ovarian TGF-
$\beta$1 regulates yolk formation which involve in egg weight of Korean native Ogol chiken. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1546-1552. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1546
- Bazer, F. W., N. M. Roberts, D. C. Sharp. 1978. Collection and analysis of female genital tract secretions. In: Methods in mammalian reproduction. (Ed. J. C. Daniel). Academic Press, New York. pp. 503-528.
- Hansen, T. R., M. Kazemi, D. H. Keisler, P. V. Malathy, K., Imakawa and R. M. Roberts. 1989. Complex binding of the ernbryonic interferon, ovine trophoblast proteln-1, to endometrial receptors. J. Intelferon Res. 9:211-221
- Peterson, P. A., L. Rask, L. Ostberq, L. Anderson, F. Kamwendo and H. Pertoft. 1973. Studies on the transport and cellular distribution of vitamin A in normal and vitamin-A-deficient rats with special reference to the vitamin A binding plasma protein. J. Biol. Chem. 248:4009-4022.