- Volume 16 Issue 1
The objective of the present study was to determine the effect of exogenous bovine somatotropin on the mammary function in late lactating crossbred Holstein cows. Twelve 87.5% late lactating Holstein cows, approximately 30 weeks postpartum, were divided into two groups of 6 animals each. Animals in the control group were given sodium bicarbonate buffer by subcutaneous injection, while animals in the treated group were given recombinant bovine somatotropin (bST) by subcutaneous injection with 500 mg of bST (14 day prolonged-release bST). After bST injection, milk yield significantly increased from the control level on day 8 to day 20 (p<0.05) with a concomitant increase in mammary blood flow (p<0.01). An increase in mammary blood flow in response to bST treatment was greater than an increase in milk production. An increased plasma concentration of IGF-I coincided with an increase in mammary blood flow in animals treated with bST. There were no significant changes in the concentration of arterial plasma glucose concentration, the arteriovenous concentration difference (A-V difference) and mammary extraction ratio while the mammary glucose uptake increased when compared to the control group. The concentration of arterial plasma triglyceride decreased throughout the experimental period in animals give bST. The plasma concentration of acetate, and the mammary uptake for acetate significantly increased (p<0.05) after bST treatment. The action of bST did not affect the plasma concentration, A-V difference and extraction ratio across the mammary gland for
Bovine Somatotropin;Mammary Function;Late Lactation;Crossbred Holstein Cows
- Chaiyabutr, N., S. Komolvanich, S. Preuksagorn and S. Chanpongsang. 2000b. Comparative studies on the utilization of glucose in the mammary gland of crossbred Holstein cattle feeding on different types of roughage during different stages of lactation. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13(3):334-347. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.334
- Collier, R. J., J. P. McNamara, C. R. Wallace and M. H. Dehoff. 1984. A review of endocrine regulation of metabolism during lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 59:498-510. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.592498x
- Faulkner, A. 1999. Changes in plasma and milk concentrations of glucose and IGF-I in response to exogenous growth hormone in lactating goats. J. Dairy Res. 66:207-214. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029999003441
- Fullerton, F. M. 1989. Cardiovascular responses and mammary substrate uptake in jersey cows treated with pituitary-derived growth hormone during late lactation. J. Dairy Res. 56(1):27-35. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900026182
- Gluckman, P. D., B. H. Breier and S. R. Davis. 1987. Physiology of the somatotropic axis with particular reference to the ruminant. J. Dairy Sci. 70:442. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80028-0
- Granner, D. K. 1996. Hormones of the pancreas and gastrointestinal tract. In: Harper's biochemistry. 24th ed., J. Doland editor, USA. 581-598.
- McGuire, M. A., J. L. Vicini, D. E. Bauman and J. J. VeenHuizen. 1992. Insulin-like growth factors and binding proteins in ruminants and their nutritional regulation. J. Anim. Sci. 70: 2901-2910. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7092901x
- Nielson, M. O. 1988. Effect of recombinantly derived bovine somatotropin on mammary gland synthetic capacity in lactating goats. J. Anim. Physiol .a. Anim. Nutr. 59:263-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1988.tb00074.x
- Peel, C. J. and D. E. Bauman. 1987. Somatotropin and lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 70:74-86.
- Peel, C. J., J. F. Thomas, D. E. Baumann and R. C. Gorewit. 1983. Effects of exogenous growth hormone in early and late lactation on lactational performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 66:776-782. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(83)81857-8
- Prosser, C .G., I. R. Fleet, A. J. Davis and R. B. Heap. 1991b. Mechanism of secretion of plasma insulin-like growth factor-I into milk of lactating goats. J. Endocrinol. 131:459-466. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1310459
- Sharma, B. K., M. J. Vandehaar and N. K. Ames. 1994. Expression of insulin-like growth factor-I in cows at different stages of lactation and in late lactation cows treated with somatotropin. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2232-2241. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77166-6
- Zhao, F. Q., W. M. Moseley, H. A. Tucker and J. J. Kennelly. 1996. Regulation of glucose transporter gene expression in mammary gland, muscle and fat of lactating cows by administration of bovine growth hormone and bovine growth hormone-releasing factor. J. Anim. Sci. 74:183-189.
- Prosser, C. G., I. R. Fleet, A. N. Corps, E. R. Froesch and R. B. Heap. 1990. Increase in milk secretion and mammary blood flow by intra-arterial infusion of insulin- like growth factor-I into the mammary gland of the goat. J. Endocrinol. 126:437-443. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1260437
- Glimm, D. R., V. E. Baracos and J. J. Kennelly. 1990.Molecular evidence for the presence of growth hormone receptors in the bovine mammary gland. J. Endocrinol. 126:R5. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.126R005
- Linzell, J. L. and M. Peaker. 1971. Mechanism of milk secretion. Physiological Review 51:564-579. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.1922.214.171.1244
- Prosser, C. G., C. Royle, I. R. Fleet and T. B. Mepham. 1991a. The galactopoietic effect of bovine growth hormone in goats is associated with increased concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I in milk and mammary tissue. J. Endocrinol. 128:457-463. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1280457
- Bauman, D. E. and R. G. Vernon. 1993. Effects of exogenous bovine somatotropin on lactation. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 13:437-461. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.13.070193.002253
- Chaiyabutr, N. 1994. The determination of fat concentration in milk by centrifugal method. Dairy cattle newsletter. 6(1):3-4.
- Glimm, D. R., V. E. Baracos and J. J. Kennelly. 1988. Effect of bovine somatotropin on the distribution of immunoreactive insulin-like growth factor-I in lactating bovine mammary tissue. J. Dairy Sci. 71:2923-2935. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79890-2
- Chaiyabutr, N., S. Komolvanich, S. Preuksagorn and S. Chanpongsang. 2000a. Plasma levels of hormones and metabolites as affected by the forages type in two different types of crossbred Holstein cattle. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1359-1366.
- Davis, S. R., R. J. Collier, J. P. McNamara, H. H. Head and W. Sussman. 1988. Effects of thyroxin and growth hormone treatment of dairy cows on milk yield, cardiac output and mammary blood flow. J. Anim. Sci. 66:70-79. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.66170x
- Miller, P. S., B. L. Reis, C. C. Calvert, E. J. Depeters and R. L. Baldwin. 1991. Patterns of nutrient uptake by the mammary glands of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3791-3799. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78571-8
- Fleet, I. R., F. M. Fullerton, R. B. Heap, T. B. Mepham, P. D. Gluckman and I. C. Hart. 1988. Cardiovascular and metabolic response during growth hormone treatment of lactation treatment. J. Dairy Res. 55:479-485. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900033240
- Walker, N. I., R. E. Bennett and J. F. R. Kerr. 1989. Cell death by apoptosis during involution of the lactating breast in mice and rats. Am. J. Anatomy. 185:19-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/aja.1001850104
- Kazmer, G. W., M. A. Barnes, R. M. Akers and W. D. Whittier. 1986. Lactogenic hormone receptors in mammary membrane preparations from prepartum and 60 and 180 day postpartum Holstein cattle. J. Endocrinol. 109:175. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1090175
- Tele, F. F., K. Young and J. W. Stull. 1978. A method for rapid determination of lactose. J. Dairy Sci. 61:506-508. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(78)83626-1
- Effects of evaporative cooling on the regulation of body water and milk production in crossbred Holstein cattle in a tropical environment vol.52, pp.7, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-008-0151-x
- Biology of Glucose Transport in the Mammary Gland vol.19, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10911-013-9310-8
- Feeding balanced ration can improve the productivity and economics of milk production in dairy cattle: a comprehensive field study pp.1573-7438, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1747-8
- Effect of growth hormone on milk yield and reproductive performance of subfertile Holstein cows during extended lactations vol.17, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2019171-13842
Supported by : Ministry of University Affairs