- Volume 16 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Methods for Determination of Bulk Density of Eight Kinds of Forage under Air-dry and Wet Conditions
- Sekine, J. (Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University) ;
- Kamel, Hossam E.M. (Faculty of Agriculture, Alexandria University) ;
- El-Seed, Abdel Nasir M.A. Fadel (Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University) ;
- Hishinuma, M. (Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University)
- 투고 : 2002.12.09
- 심사 : 2003.04.07
- 발행 : 2003.08.01
The conditions of measurement for the determination of bulk density were evaluated to assess the bulkiness of 8 kinds of forage. The bulkiness of the forages was determined with 4 different sizes of forage samples with 7 different pressure application under air-dry and wet conditions. The dry bulk density (DBD) curvilinearly regressed with the pressure applied. The particle size of the samples and kinds of forage used in the present study did not affect changes in values of DBD determined under pressures over
Forage;Dry Bulk Density;Wet Bulk Density;Ruminants
- Conrad, H. R., A. D. Pratt and J. W. Hibbs. 1964. Regulation of feed intake in dairy cows. Ι. Changes in importance of physical and physiological factors with increasing digestibility. J. Dairy Sic. 47:54-62. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(64)88581-7
- Forbes, J. M. 1995. Voluntary Food Intake and Diet Selection in Farm Animals. CAB International, Wallingford, U.K.
- Okamoto, M., R. Oura. and J. Sekine. 1989. Relationship between particle size reduction of reticulo-ruminal contents and chewing time. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 2:331-332. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1989.331
- Waldo, D. R. 1986. Effect of forage quality on intake and forageconcentrate interactions. J. Dairy Sci. 69:617-631. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80446-5
- Wattiaux, M. A., L. D. Stter and D. R. Mertens. 1993. Factors affecting volume and specific gravity measurements of neutral detergent fiber and forage particles. J. Dairy Sci. 76:1978-1988. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77531-1
- Baile, C. A. and W. H. Pfander. 1967. Ration density as afactor controlling food intake in ruminants. J. Dairy Sci. 50:77-80. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(67)87357-0
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1960. Priciples and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hill Book Co., NY.
- Sekine, J., Y. Imaki, Y. Kuninishi, R. Oura, H. Miyazaki, M. Okamoto and Y. Asahida. 1992. Effect of time after feeding on distribution of feed particles in the gastrointestinal tract of sheep given orchardgrass hay once a day. Asian- Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 5:55-61. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1992.55
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1984. Official Methods of analysis of the AOAC. 14th ed. Washington DC. U.S.A.
- Mertens, D. R. 1987. Predicting intake and digestibility using mathemetical models of ruminant function. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1548-1558. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1987.6451548x
- Seoane, J. R., M. Cote and S. A. Visser. 1982. The relationship between voluntary intake and the physical properties of forages. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 62:473-480. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas82-055
- Van Soest, P. J. 1965. Symposium on factors influencing the voluntary intake of herbage by ruminants: Voluntary intake in relation to chemical composition and digestibility. J. Anim. Sci. 24:834-843. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1965.243834x
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analyses. Agriculture Handbook No.379. Agricultural Research Service, USDA, Washington DC. U.S.A.
- Analytical Software, 2000. Statistix7 User's Manual. Analytical Software, Tallahassee FL. USA.