- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feeding Chemically Treated Mustard (Brassica campestris) Straw on Rumen Fibre Degrading Enzymes in Sheep
- Vaithiyanathan, S. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Raghuvanshi, S.K.S. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Mishra, A.S. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Tripathi, M.K. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Misra, A.K. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Prasad, R. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Jakhmola, R.C. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute)
- 투고 : 2003.05.02
- 심사 : 2003.08.18
- 발행 : 2003.11.01
The aim of the experiment was to study the changes in the activities of various rumen fibre degrading enzymes due to the feeding of chemically treated mustard (Brassica campestris) straw in sheep. Mustard straw (MS) (<5 cm particle size) was treated either with urea (4% (w/w), or with 2% sodium hydroxide (NaOH), or with alkaline hydrogen peroxide (2% NaOH and 1.5% hydrogen peroxide (
Chemical Treatments;Mustard Straw;Rumen Fibre Degrading Enzyme;Sheep
- Agarwal, N. 2000. Estimation of fibre degrading enzyme. In: Feed microbiology. (Ed L. C. Chaudhary, N. Agarwal, D. N. Kamra amd D. K. Agarwal). CAS Animal Nutrition, IVRI, Izatnagar, India.
- Agarwal, N., I. Agarwal, D. N. Kamra and L. C. Chaudhary. 2000. Diurnal variations in the activities of hydrolytic enzyme in different fractions of rumen content of Murrah Buffalo. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 18:73-80.
- Misra, A. K., S. A. Karim, D. L. Verma, A. S. Mishra and M. K. Tripathi. 2000. Nutrient intake, its utilization, rumen fermentation pattern and blood bio-chemical constituents of sheep fed urea treated mustard (Brassica campestris) straw. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1674-1680.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Symposium: Carbohydrate methodology, metabolism and nutritional implications in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Chaturvedi, O. H., A. Santra, A. S. Mishra, R. Prasad, A. K. Misra, S. Vaithiyanathan and R. C. Jakhmola. 2002. Titrable groups and soluble phenolics compounds in untreated and treated mustard (Brassica campestris) straw and their relation with cell wall constituents and dry matter disappearance. Indian J. Anim. Sci.71:69-73.
- Mishra, A. S., O. H. Chaturvedi, A. K. Misra and S. A. Karim. 1996. A note on chemical composition of untreated and urea treated mustard (Brassica campestris) straw. Indian J. Small Rumi. 2:49-51.
- Chaturvedi, O. H., A. Santra, A. S. Mishra, R. Prasad and R. C. Jakhmola. 1999. Effect of soaking medium and hours of soaking in nutritive value of mustard (Brassica campestris) straw. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69:739-741.
- Robertson, J. B. and P. J. Van Soest. 1981. The detergent system of analysis and its application to human foods. Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
- Miller, G. L. 1959. Modified DNS method for reducing sugars. Anal. Chem. 31:426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Mishra, A. S., O. H. Chaturvedi, A. K. Misra and S. A. Karim. 2000. Comparative utilization of urea and fungal treated MS by sheep. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 70:854-856.
- Misra, A. K., O. H. Chaturvedi, A. S. Mishra and S. A. Karim. 1999. Effect of urea treatment on the cell wall constituents and dry matter digestibility of mustard (Brassica campestris) straw. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69:1180-1182.
- Silva, A. T., R. J. Wallace and E. R. Orskov. 1987. Use of particle bound microbial activity to predict the rate and extent of fibre degradation: A review. Br. J. Nut. 57:407-415.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists Washington, DC.
- Tarkow, H. and W. L. Feist. 1969. A mechanism for improving the digestibility of lignocellulose materials with dilute alkali and liquid ammonia. J. Anim. Sci. 35:451-357.
- Chaudhry, A. S. 1998. Chemical and biological procedures to upgrade cereal straw for ruminants. Nutr. Abst and Rev. (Series B). 68:319-331.
- Klopfenstein, T. J. 1978. Chemical treatment of crop residues. J. Anim. Sci. 46:841-848.