- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effects of Fat Sources on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Serum Traits and Intestinal Morphology in Weaning Pigs
- Jung, H.J. (School of Agricultural and Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (School of Agricultural and Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Han, In K. (School of Agricultural and Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2002.11.05
- Accepted : 2003.05.06
- Published : 2003.07.01
This experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of fat sources on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, serum traits and intestinal morphology in weaning pigs. A total of 128 weaning pigs (Landrace
Fat;Growth Performance;Nutrient Digestibility;Intestinal Morphology
- Allee, G. L., D. H. Baker and G. A. Leveille. 1971. Fat utilization and lipogenesis in the young pig. J. Nutr. 101:1415-1421.
- Attech, J. O. and S. Leeson. 1983. Effect of increasing dietary fat, clacium and phosphorus levels on pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 63:699-705. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas83-079
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1989a. Apparent fat digestibilities and performance responses of postweaning swine fed diets supplemented with coconut oil, corn oil or tallow. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2040-2047. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.6782040x
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1990a. Effect of weaning, week postweaning and diet composition on pancreatic and small intestinal luminal lipase response in young swine. 68:384-391. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.682384x
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1990b. Evaluation of various extracted vegetable oils, roasted soybeans, mediumchain triglyceride and an animal-vegetable fat blend for postweaning swine. 68:2756-2765. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6892756x
- Hamilton, R. M. G. and B. E. McDonald. 1969. Effect of dietary fat source on the apparent digestibility of fat and the composition of fecal lipids on the young pig. J. Nutr. 97:33-41.
- Hampson, D. J., Z. F. Fu and W. C. Smith. 1988. Preweaning supplementary feed and porcine post-weaning diarrhoea. Res. Veter. Sci. 44:309-314.
- Lindemann, M. D., S. G. Cornelius, S. M. Elkandelgy, L. R. Moser and J. E. Pettigrew. 1986. Effect of age, weaning and diet on digestive enzyme levels in the piglet. J. Anim. Sci. 62:1298-1307. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6251298x
- Moser, B. and A. Lewis. 1980. Adding fat to sow diet - a update. Feedstuffs. 52:36-38.
- Dove, C. R. and K. D. Haydon. 1992. The effect of copper and fat addition to the diets of weanling swine on growth performance and serum fatty acids. J. Anim. Sci. 70:805. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.703805x
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis (15th ed.). Association of official analytical chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Luo, X. G. and C. R. Dove. 1996. Effect of dietary copper and fat on nutrient utilization, digestive enzyme activities, and tissue mineral levels in weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1888-1896. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7481888x
- Dove, C. R. 1993. The effect of adding copper and various fat sources to the diets of weanling swine on growth performance and serum fatty acid profiles. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2187. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7182187x
- Lawrence, N. J. and C. V. Maxwell. 1983. Effect of dietary fat source and level on the performance of neonatal and early weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 57:936-942. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.574936x
- Le Dividich, J., M. Vermorel, J. Noblet, J. C. Bouvier and A. Aumaitre. 1980. Effects of environmental temperature on heat production, energy retention, protein and fat. Br. J. Nutr. 44:313-323. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19800046
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1988c. Effect of dietary dried whey and corn oil on weanling pig performance, fat digestibility and nitrogen utilization. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1438-1445. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.6661438x
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1989b. Postweaning swine peroformance and serum profile responses to supplemental medium-chain free fatty acids and tallow. J. Anim. Sci. 67:2048-2055. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1989.6782048x
- Howard, K. A., D. M. Forsyth and T. R. Cline. 1990. The effect of an adaptation period to soybean oil addition in the diets of young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 68:678. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.683678x
- Lepage, G and C. C. Roy. 1986. Direct transesterification of all classes of lipids in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid. Res. 27:114.
- deMann, J. M. and J. P. Bowland. 1963. Fatty acid composition of sow's colostrum, milk and body fat as determined by gas-liquid chromatography. J. Dairy Res. 30:339. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900011523
- Friedman, H. I. and B. Nylund. 1980. Intestinal fat digestion, absorption and transport. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 33:1108.
- Leibbrandt, V. D., R. C. Ewan, V. C. Speer and D. R. Zimmerman. 1975. Effect of age and calorie:protein ratio on performance and body composition of baby pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 40:1070-1076. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.4061070x
- Frobish, L. T., V. W. Hays, V. C. Speer and R. C. Ewan. 1970. Effect of fat source and level on utilization of fat by young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 30:197-202. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1970.302197x
- Freeman, C. P. 1969. Properties of fatty acids in dispersions of emulsified lipid and bile salt and the significance of these properties in fat absorption in the pig and the sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 23:249. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19690032
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Bayley, H. S. and D. Lewis. 1965. The use of fats in pig feeding 2. The digestibility of various fats and fatty acids. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb). 64:373-378. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600016701
- Li, D. F., R. C. Tahler, J. L. Nelssen, D. L. Harmon, G. L. Allee and T. L. Weeden. 1990. Effect of fat sources and combinations on starter pig performance, nutrient digestibility and intestinal morphology. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3694-3704. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68113694x
- Mersmann, H. J., J. M., Houk, G. Phinney and M. C. Underwood. 1973. Effect of diet and weaning age on in vitro lipogenesis in young swine. J. Nutr. 103:821-828.
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and R. F. Cross. 1988a. Effect of age, weaning and postweaning diet on small intestinal growth and jejunal morphology in young swine. J. Anim. Sci. 66:574. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.662574x
- Cera, K. R., D. C. Mahan and G. A. Reinhart. 1988b. Weekly digestibility of diets supplemented with corn oil, lard or tallow by weanling swine. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1430-1437. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.6661430x
- Corring, T., A. Aumaitre and G. Durand. 1978. Development of digestive enzymes in the piglet from birth to 8 weeks. Pancreas and pancreatic enzymes. Nutr. Metab. 22:231-243. https://doi.org/10.1159/000176219
- Perinatal Exposure to a Diet High in Saturated Fat, Refined Sugar and Cholesterol Affects Behaviour, Growth, and Feed Intake in Weaned Piglets vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154698