- Volume 16 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Varying Levels of Aflatoxin, Ochratoxin and Their Combinations on the Performance and Egg Quality Characteristics in Laying Hens
- Verma, J. (Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Johri, T.S. (Central Avian Research Institute) ;
- Swain, B.K. (Animal Sciences Section, ICAR Research Complex for Goa)
- Received : 2002.11.18
- Accepted : 2003.02.28
- Published : 2003.07.01
A 50 day feeding trial was conducted with White Leghorn (WL) laying hens, 42 weeks old, to determine if feeding of varying levels of aflatoxin (AF), ochratoxin A (OA) or their combinations has any effect on their performance and egg quality parameters. Feeding of
Supported by : Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. New multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics, 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Hafez, A. H., S. E. Megalla, H. M. Abdel-Fattah and Y. Y. Kamel. 1982. Effects of aflatoxin on ovaries and testicles in matured domestic fowls. Mycopathologia, 77:137-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00518797
- Howarth, B. Jr. and R. D. Wyatt. 1976. Effect of dietary aflatoxin on fertility, hatchability and progeny performance of broiler breeder hens. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 31:680-684.
- Reddy, C. V. 1972. Quantitative protein requirements of layer type chickens. Indian J. Poult. Sci. 7:53.
- Sims, W. M., D. C. Kelly and P. E. Sanford. 1970. A study of aflatoxicosis in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 49:1082-1084. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0491082
- Washburn, K. W. and R. D.Wyatt. 1978. Effects and mechanism of action of aflatoxin on shell quality. Poult. Sci. 57:1111 (Abstr.).
- Wolzak, A., A. M. Pearson, T. H. Coleman, J. J. Pestka and J. J. gray, 1985. Aflatoxin deposition and clearance in the eggs of laying hens. Fed. Chem. Toxin, 23:1057-1061. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-6915(85)90052-3
- Jacobson, W. C. and H. C. Wiseman. 1974. The transmission of aflatoxin B1 in to eggs. Poult. Sci. 53:1743-1745. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0531743
- Prior, M. G. and C. S. Sisodia. 1978. Ochratoxicosis in white legorn hens. Poult. Sci. 57,169.
- Chaudhury, H., C. W. Carlson and S. Semeniuk. 1971. A study of ochratoxin toxicity in hens. Poult. Sci. 50:1855-1859. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0501855
- Britton, W. N. and R. D. Wyatt. 1978. Effect of dietary aflatoxin on vitamin D3 metabolism of chicks. Poult. Sci. 58:163-165.
- Haazele, F. M., W. Guenter, R. R. Marquardt and A. A. Frohlich. 1993. Beneficial effects of dietary ascorbic acid supplement on hens subjected to ochratoxin A toxicosis under normal and high ambient temperatures. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:149-157. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas93-014
- Huff, W. E., R. D. Wyatt and P. B. Hamilton. 1975. Nephrotoxicity of dietary ochratoxin A in broiler chickens. Appl. Micro. 30:48.
- Hamilton, P. B. and J. D. Garlich. 1971. Aflatoxin as a possible cause of fatty liver syndrome in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 50:800-804. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0500800
- Bureau of Indian Standards. 1992. Poultry feeds specification, 4th revision, New Delhi, IS 1374.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1968. Statistical methods. VI edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta. pp.299-569.
- Garlich, J. D., H. T. Tung and P. B. Hamilton. 1973. The effects of short term feeding of aflatoxin on egg production and some plasma constituents of the laying hens. Poult. Sci. 52:2206-2211. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0522206
- Lotzsch, R., L. Leistner and M. K. Ghosh. 1977. The carryover effect of aflatoxins in the eggs of Japanese dwarf quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). FSTA, 9:6069 (Abstr.).
- Britton, W. N. and R. D. Wyatt. 1979. Influence of vitamin D on chick aflatoxicosis. Poult. Sci. 58:1039 (Abstr.)
- Huff, W. E., C. F. Chang, J. D. Garlich and P. B. Hamilton, 1977. Aflatoxicosis in chicken fed diet varying in calcium and phosphorous. Poult. Sci. 56:724.
- Iqbal, Q. K., P. V. Rao and S. J. Reddy. 1983. Dose response relationship of experimentally induced aflatoxicosis in commercial layers. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 53:1277-1280.
- Studies on production performance and toxin residues in tissues and eggs of layer chickens fed on diets with various concentrations of aflatoxin AFB1 vol.48, pp.6, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660701713534
- )-contaminated feeds vol.9, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3109/1547691X.2012.675365
- -induced damage vol.43, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/03079457.2014.943691
- Hepatic Transcriptome Responses of Domesticated and Wild Turkey Embryos to Aflatoxin B1 vol.8, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins8010016
- An extensive review of experimental ochratoxicosis in poultry: I. Growth and production parameters along with histopathological alterations pp.1743-4777, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933918000685