- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Enzyme Activities Related to Lipid Metabolism in the Liver and Adipose Tissue of Tsaiya Ducks under Fasting and Ad libitum Feeding Conditions
- Lien, Tu-Fa (Department of Animal Science, National Chiayi University) ;
- Jan, Der-Fang (Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture, National Chung Hsing University)
- Received : 2002.09.02
- Accepted : 2002.12.04
- Published : 2003.03.01
The study investigated the lipid metabolism of Tsaiya ducks under fasting and ad libitum feeding conditions. Sixty Tsaiya ducks in their growing period (8-12 wk-old) and sixty Tsaiya ducks in their laying period (26-30 wk-old, 10-14 weeks after the onset of laying) were randomly divided into ad libitum feeding and 3-day fasting groups. The activities of lipid metabolism related enzymes were determined. Experimental results indicated that fasting depressed the activities of lipogenesis related enzymes such as fatty acid synthetase and NADP-malic dehydrogenase in both periods (p<0.05). Fasting also increased the activities of liver fatty acid
Tsaiya Duck;Enzyme Activities;Lipogenesis;Fatty Acid
- Benson, J. D. and A. Bensadoun. 1977. Response of adipose tissue lipoprotein lipase to fasting in the chicken and the rat- a species difference. J. Nutr. 107:990-997. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/107.6.990
- Bieber, L. L. and T. Helmrath. 1972. A rapid spectrophotometric assay for carnitine palmitoyltransferase. Anal. Biochem. 50:509-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(72)90061-9
- Enser, M. 1973. Clearing-factor lipase in muscle and adipose tissue of pigs. Biochem. J. 136:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1360381
- Goldman, M. J., D. W. Back and A. G. Goodridge. 1985. Nutritional regulation of the synthesis and degradation of malic enzyme messenger RNA in duck liver. J. Biol. Chem. 260:4404-4408.
- Kumar, S., T. A. Dorsey., R. A. Muesing and J. W. Porter. 1970. Comparative studies of the pigeon liver fatty acid synthetase complex and its subunit. J. Biol. Chem. 245:4732-4740.
- Lee, S. R., C. Tai and H. H. Huang. 1985. Studies on the production of Foie Gras in ducks. I. The preliminary studies on duck Foie Gras production. Chinese Soc. Anim. Sci. 14:175-180. (In Chinese)
- Lee, S. R., C. Tai, Y. N. Jiang, J. C. Chen and H. H. Huang. 1987. Studies on the production of Foie Gras in ducks. III comparison of fatty liver production among different breeds of duck. Taiwan Livestock Res. 20:41-45. (In Chinese)
- Leveille, G. A., R. Romsos, Y. Y. Yeh and K. Ohea. 1975. Lipid biosynthesis in the chick. A consideration of site of synthesis, influence of diet possible regulatory mechanisms. Poult. Sci. 54:1075-1093. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0541075
- Bradshaw, R. A. and B. E. Noyes. 1975. L-3 Hydroxyacyl coenzyme A dehydrogenase from pig heart muscle. In: Methods in Enzymology (vol xxxv, lipids). New York, Academic Press, pp. 122-128.
- Imai, Y. 1967. Lipid metabolism experiment method. Tokyo, Kyoritsu Shuppan Co; p. 164-165.
- Anthony, N. B., R. Vasilatos-Younken, R., W. L. Bacon and M. S. Lilbum. 1990. Secretory pattern of growth hormone, insulin and related metabolites in growing male turkey: Effects of overnight fasting and refeeding. Poult. Sci. 69:801-811. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0690801
- McGarry, J. D. and D. W. Foster. 1979. In support of the roles of malonyl-CoA and carnitine acyltransferase I in the regulation of hepatic fatty acid oxidation and ketogenesis. J. Biol. Chem. 254:8163-8168.
- Severson, L. and B. Hurley. 1984. Inhibition of the hormone sensitive lipase in adipose tissue by long-chain fatty acyl coenzyme A. Lipids 19:134-138. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02534504
- Walzem, R. L. 1996. Lipoproteins and the laying hen: Form follows formation. Poultry and Avian Biology Review, pp. 31-64.
- Lien, T. F., J.J. Lu and D. F. Jan. 2001. Alterations in lipid metabolism between the growing and the laying periods of white Leghom layers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.14:1460-1464.
- Lowry, O. H., N. T. Rosebrough., A. L. Farr and R. L. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:381-385.
- Avidar, Y., E. Bogin and S. Soback. 1986. Fatty liver syndrome in farm animals: Biochemical and pharmalogical aspects. Isr. J. Vet. Med. 42:318-323.
- Calabotta, D. F., J. A. Cherry, P. B. Siegel and D. E. Jones. 1985. Lipogenesis and lipolysis in fed and fasted chicks from high and low body weight lines. Poult. Sci. 64:700-704. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0640700
- Gasquet, P. D. and E. Pequignot. 1972. Lipoprotein lipase activities in adipose tissues, heart and diaphragm of the genetically obese mouse(ob/ob). Biochem. J. 127:445-447. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1270445
- Hasegawa, S., T. Kawakami, K. Honda and Y. Hikami. 1994a. Effect of fasting on the adipose tissue weight in chicks, with reference to changes in triglyceride synthesis and fatty acid oxidation. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn.) 65:525-531.
- Yeh, Y. Y. and G. A. Leveille. 1970. Hepatic fatty acid synthesis and plasma free fatty acid levels in chicks subjected to short periods of food restriction and refeeding. J. Nutr. 100:1389-1398. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/100.12.1389
- Leclercq, B. 1984. Adipose tissue metabolism and its control in birds. Poult. Sci. 63:2044-2054. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0632044
- Tanaka, K., J. C. Hsu, S. Ohtani and C. M. Collado. 1986. Changes in the activities of hepatic lipogenic related enzymes and in the concentrations of various plasma and liver lipid fractions of hens before and after the onset of laying. Jpn. Poult. Sci. 23:203-210. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.23.203
- Hoskins, D. D. 1969. Butyryl-CoA dehydrogenase from monkey liver. In: Method in Enzymology (vol. xiv, lipids). New York, Academic press, pp. 110-114.
- Lien, T. F., R. C. R. Chou, S. Y. Chen, Y. I. Jeng and D. F. Jan. 1999. Lipid metabolism of Tsaiya ducks: plasma and liver related traits under ad libitum and fasting. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:1413-1416. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199908)79:11<1413::AID-JSFA380>3.0.CO;2-K
- SAS. 1990. Institute, Inc. SAS user′s guide. statistic. SAS Inst., Cary, NC.
- Hasegawa, S., H. Kawakami and Y. Hikami. 1994b. Effect of fasting on the activities of lipogenic enzymes in chick adipose tissue. Anim. Sci. Technol (Jpn.) 65:656-660.
- Numa, S. 1969. Acetyl-CoA carboxylase from chicken and rat liver. In: Methods in Enzymology (vol. xiv, lipids). New York, Academic Press, pp. 9-17.
- Sato, K., Y. Akiba and M. Horiguchi. 1994. The possible procedure to stabilize lipoprotein lipase prepared from chicken adipose tissue. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Jpn) 66:523-526.
- Goodridge, A. G. 1968. Citrate-cleavage enzyme, malic enzyme and certain dehydrogenases in embryonic and growing chicks. Biochem. J. 108:663-673. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj1080663
- McGrarry, J. D., G. F. Leatherman and D. W. Foster. 1978a. Carnitine palmitoyl transferase I : the site of inhibition of hepatic fatty acid oxidation by malonyl-CoA. J. Biol. Chem. 253:4128-4136.
- Lohr, G. W. and H. D. Waller. 1974. Method of enzymatic analysis. (Vol. 2.). New York, Academic press, p. 636.
- McGarry, J. D., M. J. Stark and D. W. Foster. 1978b. Hepatic malonyl-CoA levels of fed, fasted and diabetic rats as measured using a simple radio isotopic assay. J. Biol. Chem. 253:8291-8293.
- Ochoa, S. 1955. Malic enzyme. In: Methods in enzymology. Vol.1. New York, Acadamic Press; p. 739.
- Robson, R. M. and D. E. Goll. 1968. Determination of protein in 'Tris' buffer by the biuret reaction. Anal. Biochem. 24:339-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(68)90188-7
- Bird, M. I., L. A. Munday, E. D. Saggerson and J. B. Clark. 1985. Carnitine acyltransferase activities in rat brain mitochondria: Bimodel distribution, kinetic constants, regulation by malonyl-CoA and developmental pattern. Biochem. J. 226:323-330. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2260323
- Hasegawa, S., K. Sato, Y. Hikami and T. Mizuno. 1980a. Effect of estrogen on adipose tissue accumulation in chicks, with reference to changes in its chemical composition and lipase activity. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 51:360-367.
- Takada, Y., F. S. Zuki and H. Inoue. 1963. Citrate-cleavage enzyme. In: Methods in Enzymology (Vol. 5). New York, Academic Press; p. 154.
- Bogin, E., Y. Avidar, M. Merom, B. A. Israeli, M. Malkinson, S. Soback and Y. Kudler. 1984. Biochemical changes associated with fatty liver in geese. Avian Pathol. 13:683-701. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079458408418566
- Freedland, R. A. 1967. Effect of progressive starvation on rat liver enzyme activities. J. Nutr. 91:489-495. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/91.4.489
- Hermier, D., P. Forges and M. T. Chapman. 1985. A density gradient study of the lipoprotein and apolipoprotein distribution in the chicken, Gallus domesticus. Biochimica. et Biophy. Acta. 836:105-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2760(85)90226-7
- McGarry, J. D., Y. Takabayashi and D. W. Foster. 1978c. The role of malonyl-CoA in the condition of fatty acid synthesis and oxidation in isolated rat hepatocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 253:8294-8300.
- Griffin, H. D., S. C. Butterwith and C. Goddard. 1987. Contribution of lipoprotein lipase to differences in fatness between broiler and layer strain chickens. Brit. Poult. Sci. 28: 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668708416953
Middleton, B. 1975.
$\beta$-Ketoacyl-CoA thiolase of mammalian tissues. In: Methods in Enzymology (vol. xxxv, lipids). New York, Academic Press; p. 128-136.
- Hasegawa, S., K. Sato, Y. Hikami and T. Mizuno. 1980b. Effect of estrogen on adipose tissue accumulation in chicks, with reference to changes in triglyceride synthesis and fatty acid oxidation. Jpn. J. Zootech. Sci. 51:673-679.