- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Rumen Gas Volume by Dilution Technique in Sheep Given Two Silages at Different Levels of Feeding
- Sekine, J. (Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University) ;
- Kamel, Hossam E.M. (Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University) ;
- Fadel El-Seed, Abdel Nasir M.A. (Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University) ;
- Hishinuma, M. (Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University)
- Received : 2001.08.27
- Accepted : 2002.09.15
- Published : 2003.03.01
The gas dilution technique was used to evaluate the possibility of estimating the volume of gaseous phase in the rumen from its composition in sheep given rice whole crop silage (RWS) or dent corn silage (DCS) at a level of maintenance (M) or 2 M, and in the course of fasting. The rumen gas composition was determined at 2 and 7.5 h after morning feeding. Nitrogen gas was injected by using an airtight syringe into the rumen immediately after collecting the rumen gas sample as a control. Then rumen gas samples were collected at 5, 10, 20, 40 and 60 min. after injection. Dry-matter intakes were
- AOAC. 1970. Official Methods of Analysis. 11th ed. AOAC. Washington DC.
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed valune obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Develop. 28:7-55.
- Sumio, Y., M. Okubo, J. Sekine and Y. Asahida. 1983. Collection of rumen gases from young calves. Jpn. J. Zootechnol. 54: 60-61. (In Japanese)
- Sekine, J. and Y. Asahida. 1990. Energy metabolism of calf. JARQ. 24:141-148.
- Kurihara, M., T. Magner, R. A. Hunter and G. J. McCrabb. 1999. Methane production and energy partition of cattle in the tropics. Br. J. Nutr. 81:227-234.
- Metz, J. H. M. 1975. Time patterns of feeding and rumination in domestic cattle. Mededelinge Landbouwhogeschool (Communications Agricultural University), Wageningen 75-12:1-66.
- Ito, S. 2000. World Grain Statistics and Graphics. Food and Agriculture Series No. 49. National Food Promotion Association. Tokyo. (In Japanese)
- Abdulrazak, S. A., E. A. Orden, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2000. Chemical composition, phenolic concentration and in vitro gas production characteristics of selected Acacia fruits and leaves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:935-940.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage Fiber Analyses (Apparatus, Reagents, Procedures, and Some Application). Agriculture Handbook No. 379. Agricultural Research Service, U. S. D. A. Washington DC.
- Dukes, H. H. 1955. The Physiology of Domestic Animals. Comstock Publ. Assoc., Ithaca, New York. p. 382