- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
In Vitro Probiotic Properties of Indigenous Dadih Lactic Acid Bacteria
- Surono, Ingrid S. (Center for the Assessment and Application of Biotechnology, Agency for the Assessment and Application of Technology)
- Received : 2002.09.17
- Accepted : 2003.01.14
- Published : 2003.05.01
The aim of this research was to identify candidate probiotic lactic bacteria among indigenous dadih lactic isolates. Dadih is an Indonesian traditional fermented milk of West Sumatra which is fermented naturally. Viability of the strain is critical in determining the capacity of lactic bacteria to induce immune stimulation as well as to colonize in the intestinal tract. Therefore, LAB are proposed to exert health promoting or probiotic effects in human, such as inhibition of pathogenic microflora, antimutagenic, and the reduction of cholesterol levels. This manuscript reports in vitro probiotic properties of indigenous dadih lactic bacteria, especially some important colonization factors in GI tract, such as lysozyme, acid and bile tolerance. Bile Salt Hydrolase (BSH) activity, spectrum of bacteriocin, and antimutagenic activity of bacterial cells were also assessed. Twenty dadih lactic isolates were screened further for their tolerance to low pH, at pH 2 and 3 as well as their bile tolerance. There were ten isolates classified as acid and bile acid tolerant, and further screened for lysozyme tolerance, BSH activity. The spectrum of bacteriocin activity of isolates was assayed using cell-free neutralized supernatants by agar spot test against variety of pathogens. Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-10285, IS-7386, IS-16183, IS-11857 and IS-29862, L. brevis IS-27560, IS-26958 and IS-23427, Leu.mesen.mesenteroides IS-27526, and L. casei IS-7257 each has good survival rate at low pH values and in the presence of lysozyme, and short lag time in the presence of 0.3 % oxgall. Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-11857 and IS-29862 each has high BHS activity, Lc. lactis subsp. lactis IS-10285 and IS-16183 each had a positive spectrum of bacteriocin activity against E. coli 3301 and Lysteria monocytogenes ATCC 19112, while L. brevis IS-26958 has high BHS activity as well as positive spectrum of bacteriocin against E. coli 3301, Lysteria monocytogenes ATCC 19112, and S. aureus IFO 3060. All of the ten dadih lactic strains performed in vitro acid and bile tolerance, indicating a possibility to reach the intestine alive, and display probiotic activities.
Supported by : Association of International Education
- De Smet, I., L. van Hoorde, N. De Saeyer, M. vande Woestyne and W. Verstraete. 1994. In vitro study of bile-salt hydrolase (BSH) activity of BHS iogenic Lactobacillus plantarum 80 strains and estimation of cholesterol lowering through enhanced BHS activity. Micro. Ecol. Health Disease 7:315-329. https://doi.org/10.3109/08910609409141371
- Hosono, A., R. Wardojo, and H. Otani. 1989. Microbial Flora in 'dadih', a Traditional Fermented Milk in Indonesia. Binding of amino acid pyrolysates by lactic acid bacteria isolated from dadih. Lebensmit. Woss. U. Technol. 22:20-24.
- Hosono, A. and T. Tono-oka, 1995. Binding of cholesterol with lactic acid bacteria cell. Milchwissenschaft 50, 556-560.
- Suskovic, J., B. Bric., S. Matosic and V. Maric. 1997. Lactobacillus acidophilus M92 as potential probiotic strain. Milchwissenschaft 52:430-435
- Dashkevicz, M. P. and S. D. Feighner. 1989. Development of a differential medium for bile-salt hydrolase-active Lactobacillus spp. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55:11-16.
- Heine, W., O. H. Braun, C. Mohr and P. Leitzmann. 1995. Enhancement of lysozyme trypsin- mediated decay of intestinal bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. J. Pediatri, Gastroenterol Nutr. 21:54-58. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005176-199507000-00009
- Surono, I. S. and A. Hosono. 1996. Antimutagenicity of milk cultured with lactic acid bacteria from Dadih against mutagenic Terasi. Milchwissenschaft 51 (9) 1996, 493-497.
- Uhlman, L., U. Schillinger, J. R., Rupnow, and W. H., Holzapfel. 1992. Identification and characterization of two bacteriocinproducing strain of Lactoccus lactis isolated from vegetables. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 16: 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1605(92)90007-P
- Surono, I. S. and D. Nurani. 2001. Exploration of Indigenous Dadih Lactic Bacteria for Probiotic and Starter cultures. Domestic Research Collaborative Grant-URGE-IBRD World Bank Project 2000-2001. Research Report.
- Walker, D. R., and S. E. Gilliland. 1993. Relationship among bile tolerance, bile salt deconjugation, and assimilation of cholesterol by Lactobacillus acidophilus. J. Dairy Sci. 76:956-961. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77422-6
- Surono, I. S. and A. Hosono. 1996. Antimutagenic properties of Lactic Acid Bacteria isolated from dadih, an Indonesian traditional fermented milk. In Proceeding of The fifth International Symposium on Lactic acid bacteria: Genetics, Metabolisms and Applications, 8-12 September 1996. Veldhoven, The Netherlands (Abstr).
- De Smet, I., L. van Hoorde, M. vande Woestyne, H. Christiaens and W. Verstraete. 1995. Significance of bile-salt hydrolytic activities of lactobacilli. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 79:292-301. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1995.tb03140.x
- Berrada, N., J. F. Lemeland, G. Laroche, P. Thouvenot and M. Piaia. 1991. Bifidobacterium from fermented milks: Survival during gastric transit. J. Dairy Sci. 74:409-413 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78183-6
- Benson, G. M., N. J. Haskin, C. Eckers, P. J. Moore, D. G. Reid, R. C. Mitchell, S. Waghmore and K. E. Suckling. 1993. Polydeoxycholate in human and hamster feces: a major product of cholate metabolism. J. Lip. Res. 34:2121 - 2134
- Maffei, H. V. L. and F. J. Nobrega. 1975. Gastric pH and microflora of normal and diarrhoeic infants.Gut 16:719-726 https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.16.9.719
- Salminen, S., E. Isolauri, and E. Salminen. 1996. Clinical uses of probiotics for stabilizing the gut mucosal barrier: successful strains and future challenges. Antonie van Leuwenhoek 70:347-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395941
- Toit, Du M., C. M. A. P. Franz, L. M. T. Dicks, U. Schillinger, P. Haberer, B.Warlies, F. Ahrens, and W.H. Holzapfel. 1998. Charcterisation and selection of probiotic lactobacilli for a preliminary minipig feeding trial and their effect on serum cholesterol levels, faeces pH and faeces moisture content. Int. J. of Food Micr. 40: 93-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(98)00024-5
- Jin, L. Z., Y. W. Ho, N, Abdullah and S. Jalaludin. 1998. Acid and bile tolerance of Lactobacillus isolated from chicken intestine.Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 27:183-185 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1472-765X.1998.00405.x
- Metchnikoff, E (1907). The Prolongation of Life. Williams Heinemann, London, UK.
- Surono, I. S. 2000. Performance of Dadih Lactic cultures at Low Temperature Milk Application. In Proceeding of The ninth Animal Science Congress of AAAP. July 3-7, 2000. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (Supp A):495-498.
- Indigenous Dadih Lactic Acid Bacteria: Cell-Surface Properties and Interactions with Pathogens vol.72, pp.3, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00294.x
- Lactobacillus plantarum PADA FESES INDIVIDU DEWASA SEHAT YANG MENGONSUMSI Lactobacillus plantarum IS-10506 DARI DADIH vol.24, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6066/jtip.2013.24.2.154
- probiotic vol.101, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12522
- Molecular identification and phylogenetic analysis of GABA-producing lactic acid bacteria isolated from indigenous dadih of West Sumatera, Indonesia vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.16224.1
- Dietary encapsulated probiotic effect on broiler serum biochemical parameters vol.11, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2018.1344-1348
- Evaluation of Anherbal Compound, a Commercial Probiotic, and an Antibiotic Growth Promoter on the Performance, Intestinal Bacterial Population, Antibody Titers, and Morphology of the Jejunum and Ileum of broilers vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2017-0639
- model of the upper gastrointestinal tract vol.124, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.13740
- Dietary Supplementation of Lactobacillus Sporogenes on Performance and Serum Biochemico-Lipid Profile of Broiler Chickens vol.43, pp.3, 2006, https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.43.235
- Microbiota composition of dadih - a traditional fermented buffalo milk of West Sumatra vol.68, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/lam.13107
- Molecular identification and phylogenetic analysis of GABA-producing lactic acid bacteria isolated from indigenous dadih of West Sumatera, Indonesia vol.7, pp.2046-1402, 2019, https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.16224.2