- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Reproductive Performance in the Nepalese Pakhribas Pig: Effects of Nutrition and Housing during Lactation
- Shrestha, N.P. (Department of Agriculture, University of Aberdeen) ;
- Edwards, S.A. (Department of Agriculture, University of Newcastle) ;
- English, P.R. (Department of Agriculture, University of Aberdeen) ;
- Robertson, J.F. (Department of Agriculture, University of Aberdeen)
- Received : 2002.08.20
- Accepted : 2003.02.05
- Published : 2003.05.01
The effects of housing and nutrition on the performance of first lactation sows of the Nepalese Pakhribas breed were investigated. A total of 36 sows, from a previous experiment on nutrition during gilt rearing, were allocated according to a factorial design with 2 levels of nutrition, 60 or 80% of the calculated lactation requirement, and two types of housing, traditional or improved. The mean live weight loss of sows during lactation was reduced to a slightly greater extent by improved housing (p<0.05) than by better nutrition (p<0.10). There was also a significantly lower loss of
- Den Hartog, L. A. and G. J. Noordewier. 1984. The effect of energy intake on age at puberty in gilts. Neth. J. Agri. Sci. 32: 263-280.
- English, P. R. 1989. Minimising empty days and piglet losses. Proceedings of the 15th Annual Alberta Pork Congress, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada, 13-15 June 1989.
- Gatenby, R. M., P. B. Chemjong, B. Pakhrin and S. K. Chimariya. 1990. The reproduction of pigs in the Koshi hills. PAC Technical paper 125. Pakhribas Agricultural Centre, Dhankuta, Nepal.
- King, R. H and A. C. Dunkin. 1986. The effect of nutrition on the reproductive performance of first litter sows. 4. The relative effects of energy and protein intakes during lactation on the performance of sows and their piglets. Anim. Prod. 43:319-315. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100002506
- Shrestha, N. P., J. Robertson, S. A. Edwards and P. R. English. 2001. An evaluation of modification of the climatic environment to improve the efficiency of pig production in the hills of Nepal. Proc. ASAE International Meeting, Sacremento, 29 July-31 August 2001.
- Shrestha, N. P. 2000. Factors affecting reproduction in pigs in the small scale farming sector in the hills of Nepal. PhD Thesis, University of Aberdeen, UK.
- Kirkwood, R. N., S. K. Baidoo and F. X. Aherne. 1990. The influence of feeding level during lactation and gestation on the endocrine status and reproductive performance of second parity sows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 70:119-126
- Lightfoot, A. 1979. Terrington Experimental Husbandry Farm. Third Annual Pig Review, Terrington EHF, Terrington St Clement, Kings Lynn, Norfolk PE34 4PW.
- Agricultural Research Council. 1981. Nutrient Requirements of Pigs Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Slough, UK.
- Shretha, N. P., S. A. Edwards, P. R. English and J. F. Robertson. 2002. Factors affecting reproductive performance in the Nepalese Pakhribas pig: effects of nutrition and housing during gilt rearing. Asian Aust. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 15 No:1, 72-78.
- Den Hartog, L. A. and M. W. A. Verstegen. 1990. Nutrition of gilts during rearing. Pig News Inform. 4:523-526.
- King, R. H. 1989. Effect of Live weight and body composition of gilts at 24 weeks of age on subsequent reproductive efficiency. Anim. Prod. 49:109-116. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100004311
- Mullan, B. P., W. H. Close and D. J. A. Cole. 1989. Predicting nutrient responses of the lactating sows. pp.229-243. In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition, W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole (Ed.). Butterworths, London, pp 603-619.
- Prunier, A., C. Martin, A. M. Mounier, and M. Bonneau. 1993. Metabolic and endocrine changes associated with undernutrition in the peripubertal gilt. J. Anim. Sci., 71:1887-1894.
- Baidoo, S. K., F. X. Aherne, R. N. Kirkwood and G. R. Foxcroft. 1992. Effect of feed intake during lactation and after weaning on sow reproductive performance. Can. J. Anim. Sci., 72;911-917. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-103
- Cole, D. J. A. 1982. Nutrition and Reproduction. In: Control of pig reproduction. D. J. A. Cole and G. R. Foxcroft (Ed.) Butterworths, London.
- English, P. R. and S. A. Edwards. 1996. Management of the nursing sow and her litter. In Pig Production, World Anim. Sci, Vol. 10. Elsevier Science BV, The Netherlands, 114-140.
- Sinclair, A. G. 1997. Genotype- Nutrition Interactions in Breeding sows. PhD Thesis, University of Aberdeen, UK.
- King, R. H. and H. I. Williams. 1984. The effects of nutrition on the reproductive performance of first litter sows, 2. Protein and energy intakes during lactation. Anim. Prod. 38: 249-256. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100002245
- AOAC. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis. 13Th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D. C.
- Oli, K. P. and A. M. Morel. 1985. Livestock production in the eastern hills of Nepal. Proceedings of the first Livestock workshop held at Pakhribas Agricultural Centre, 5-7 February, 1985, Dhankuta, Nepal.
- Edwards, S. A. 1998. Nutrition of the rearing gilt and sow. In: Progress in Pig Science. J. Wiseman, M. A. Varley and J. P. Chadwick (Ed.). Nottingham University Press. pp 361-381.
- Aherne, F. X. and R. N. Kirkwood, 1985. Nutrition and sow prolificacy. J. Repro. Fert., Suppl. 33:169-183.
- Den Hartog, L. A., P. C. Vesseur, and B. Kemp. 1994. Nutritionreproduction interaction in sows, In: Principles of Pig Science. D. J. A Cole, J. Wiseman and M. Varley (Ed.). Notingham University Press, pp 215-224.
- Mullan, B. P. and I. H. Williams. 1989. The effect of body reserves at farrowing on the reproductive performance of first litter sows. Anim. Prod. 48: 449-457 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040459
- Reese, D. E., B. D. Moser, E. R. Peo, A. J. Lewis, D. R. Zimmerman, J. E. Kinder and W. W. Stroup. 1982. Influence of energy intake during lactation and subsequent gestation, lactation, post weaning performance of sows. J. Anim. Sci, 55: 872-876.