- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Heritabilities and Genetic Correlation, and Sire and Environment Effects on Meat Production Potential of Hanwoo Cattle
- Baik, D.H. ;
- Hoque, M.A. ;
- Park, G.H. ;
- Park, H.K. ;
- Shim, K.S. ;
- Chung, Y.H.
- Received : 2002.06.03
- Accepted : 2002.09.05
- Published : 2003.01.01
Genetic parameters of live weight at slaughter (LWT), quantity index (QIX), yield grade (YGD), quality grade (QGD), pH of meat, and boiled meat tenderness in terms of mastication (BMAS), shear force (BSFR) and penetration (BPEN) in Hanwoo steers were estimated. Effects of sire, location and their interaction on these traits were also evaluated. Sire effects were found to be significant on all the traits studied except for pH and BSFR. The LWT, QIX and QGD were also significantly affected both by location and by interaction effect between sire
Genetic Parameters;Quantity Index;Yield Grade;Quality Grade;Boiled Meat Tenderness
- Ensminger, M. E. 1987. Marketing and slaughtering cattle and calves. In: Beef Cattle Science. Sixth edition. The Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc. Danville, Illinois. 572-602.
- Gregory, K. E., L. V. Cundiff, R. M. Koch, M. E. Dikeman and M. Koohmaraie. 1994. Breed effects, retained heterosis, and estimates of genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass and meat traits of beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1174-1183. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.7251174x
- Kim, H. C., D. H. Lee, K. S. Seo, Y. M. Cho and Y. I. Park. 1998. Estimation of heritabilities and expected progeny differences for carcass traits in Hanwoo. Animal Genetics and Breeding 2(1):1-4.
- Lamb, M. A., O. W. Robinson and M. W. Tess. 1990. Genetic parameters for carcass traits in Hereford bulls. J. Anim. Sci. 68:64-69.
- Shin, O.Y. and Y. I. Park. 1990. Estimation of genetic parameters for body weights of Korean native cattle. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 32(6):315-317.
- Wheeler, T. L., L. V. Cundiff, R. M. Koch and J. D. Crouse. 1996. Carcass traits and longissimus palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 74: 1023-1035. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7451023x
- Arnold, J. W., J. K. Bertrand, L. L. Benyshek and C. Ludvig. 1991. Estimation of genetic parameters for live ultrasound, actual carcass data, and growth traits in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 69: 985-992. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.693985x
- Baik, D. H., M. A. Hoque and H. S. Choe. 2002. Estimation of genetic and environmental parameters of carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean Native Cattle) population. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(11):1523-1526. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1523
- Watanabe, A., C. C. Daley and C. Devine. 1996. The effects of the ultimate pH of meat on tenderness changes during aging. Meat Sci. 42:774-780.
- Son, S. K., D. H. Baik, H. S. Choi and K. J. Han. 1997. Estimation of heretabilities for body weights and measurements of Korean native cows in Hanwoo breeding regions. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39(6):653-660.
- NFCF (National Farmers' Cooperatives Federation of Korea). 2000. Progress report on grading of livestock products. Grading Office of Livestock Products. 214-215.
- Parkkonen P., A. E. Liinamo and M. Ojala. 2000. Estimates of genetic parameters for carcass traits in Finnish Ayrshire and Holstein-Friesian. Livest. Prod. Sci. 64:203-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00144-X
- SAS. 1991. Statistical Analysis System. SAS Institute, SAS Inc. Cary, USA.
- Baik, D. H., M. A. Hoque and H. K. Park. 2002. Correlation between tenderness and other carcass characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean Native) steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(12):1677-1679. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1677
- Robinson, D. L., M. Schneeberger, S. Sivaranjasingam, M. Ukkonen, S. A. Borwick, C. A. McDonald, B. Tier, K. Hammond and B. Sundstrom. 1990. Genetic evaluation for carcass traits in Australian beef cattle. Proc. of 4th WCGPLP. Edinburgh, pp. 461-464.
- Bouton, P. E., F. D. Carroll, P. V. Harris and W. R. Shorthose. 1973. Influence of pH and fibre construction state upon factors affecting the tenderness of bovine muscle. J. Food Sci. 38: 404-407. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1973.tb01440.x
- Taylor, R. E. 1977. Genetic change through selection. In: Scientific Farm Animal Production. Fifth edition. 227-242.
- Becker, W. A. 1985. Manual of Quantitative Genetics. Fourth edition. Academic Enterprises, Pullman, Washington.
- Interval mapping of growth quantitative trait loci in Japanese Black beef cattle using microsatellite DNA markers and half-sib regression analysis vol.76, pp.1, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00232.x