- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Cross Fertility between the Wild Japanese Quail in the Weishan Lake Area and Domestic Quail
- Xu, W. ;
- Chang, H. ;
- Wang, H.Y. ;
- Chang, G.B. ;
- Du, L. ;
- Lu, S.X. ;
- Yi, H.Q. ;
- Xu, Q. ;
- Xu, M. ;
- Wang, Q.H.
- Received : 2003.03.04
- Accepted : 2003.05.19
- Published : 2003.10.01
Cross fertility between wild Japanese quail and domestic quail was explored in an experiment conducted on 18（3♂, 15♀）wild Japanese quails in Weishan Lake area, 18（3♂, 15♀）medium-sized domestic quails and 18（3♂, 15♀）pint-sized domestic quails, which were divided into nine groups. This study demonstrated that wild quail could succeed in crossing with domestic quail,producing fertilized eggs and hatching first filial generation. The findings indicated that there were no reproduction isolation between the wild Japanese quail and domestic quail, and that the best cross combination was between wild male quail and medium-sized domestic female quail, in which the fertility rate and hatchability of fertilized eggs amounted to 42.86% and 29.63% respectively. Based on the results, a new way could be adopted to protect, exploit and utilize genetic resources of wild quail.
Wild Japanese Quail;Domestic Quail;Fertilization Rate;Hatchability
- Chang, H. 1995. Essentials of Animal Genetic Resources Science. Beijing. Agricultural Publishing House of China (1st Ed.). pp. 7-22
- Lin, Q. L. 2000. Feeding Quails with high efficiency. Jindun Publishing House of Nanjin, China. pp. 1-21.
- Xu, W., H. Chang, H. Y. Wang and G. B. Chang. 2001. Sudy on the Feasibility of Crossing between Wild Japanese Quails in the Weishan Lake Area and Domestic Quails J. China Poultry, 23 (22):64-65.
- Bai, Y. Q. 1993. Special-economy Animals. Beijing. Agricultural Publishing House of China. pp. 146-147
- Chang, G. B., H. Chang and H. L. Zheng. 2001. Study on Phylogenetic Relationship Between Wild Japanese Quails in the Weishan Lake Area and Domestic Quails J. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 14, 5:603-607.
- Chang, G. B. 2001. Study on Phylogenetic Relationship Between Wild Japanese Quails in the Wenshan Lake Area and Domestic Quails. Yangzhou University, Yangzhou, China. The papers of Masters Degree in 2001.
- Chang, H. 1998. Studies on Animal Genetic Resources in China. Xi’an. Shanxi People’s Educaton Press. pp. 231-255.
- Liu, L. 1998. Manufacture and Utilization of Special Poultries J. Livestock and Poultry Industry, (10):59-60.
- Zhao, W. L. 1993. The Production of Special Poultries. Beijing. Agricultural Publishing House of China. pp. 5-30.
- Wechsler, B. and I. Schmid. 1998. Aggressive Pecking by males in breeding groups of Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica) J. Br. Poult. Sci. (39):333-339.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation