- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Vitamin E Supplementation on Plasma Antioxidant Vitamins and Immunity Status of Crossbred Cows
- Chatterjee, P.N. (Dairy Cattle Nutrition Division, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Kaur, Harjit (Dairy Cattle Nutrition Division, National Dairy Research Institute) ;
- Panda, N. (Dairy Cattle Nutrition Division, National Dairy Research Institute)
- Received : 2002.11.14
- Accepted : 2003.07.24
- Published : 2003.11.01
Twenty crossbred (HF
- Brzezinska, S. E., J. K. Miller, III. J. D. Quigley, J. R. Moore and F. C. Madsen. 1994. Antioxidant status of dairy cow supplemented prepartum with vitamin E and selenium. J. Dairy Sci. 77:3087-3095.
Chawla, R. and H. Kaur. 2001. Isocratic HPLC method for simultaneous determination of
$\beta$-carotene, retinol and $\alpha$-tocopherol in feeds and blood plasma. Indian J. Dairy Sci. 54:84-90.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1980. Statistical Methods. 6th edn. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., Calcutta.
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient Requirements of Dairy Cattle. 7th Revised Edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
Michal, J. J., L. R. Heirman, T. S. Wong, B. P. Chew, M. Frigg and L. Volker. 1994. Modulatory effects of dietary
$\beta$-carotene on blood and mammary leukocyte function in peri parturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77:1408-1421.
- Hidiroglou, M. 1989. Mammary transfer of vitamin E in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 72:1067-1071.
- Weiss, W. P. 1998. Requirement of fat soluble vitamins for dairy cows : A review. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2493-2501. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)70141-9
- Yamagishi, N. and Y. Natio. 1997. Calcium metabolism in hypocalcaemia cows with myocardial lesion. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 59:71-73.
- Hidiroglou, M., T. R. Batra and X. Zhao. 1997. Bioavailability of vitamin E compounds and the effect of supplementation on release of super oxide and hydrogen peroxide by bovine neutrophils. J. Dairy Sci. 80:187-193.
- McEwan, A. D. and E. W. Fisher. 1970. A turbidity test for estimation of immunoglobulins levels in neonatal calf serum. Clin. Chem. Acta. 17:155.
Jukola, E., J. Hakkarainen, H. Saloniemi and S. Sani. 1996. Blood selenium, vitamin E, vitamin A and
$\beta$-carotene concentration and udder health, fertility treatments and fertility. J. Dairy Sci. 79:838-845.
Goff, J. P. and J. R. Stabel. 1990. Decreased plasma retinol,
$\alpha$-tocopherol and zinc concentration during the peri parturient period : Effect of milk fever. J. Dairy Sci. 73:3195-3199.
Rajiv. 2001. Influence of
$\beta$-carotene and vitamin E supplementation on udder health and immunocompetence in dairy cattle. Ph.D. Thesis, National Dairy Research Institute (Deemed University), Karnal, India.
- Benzie, E. F. I. and J. J. Strain. 1999. Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assays: Direct measurement of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration. Methods in Enzymology, 299:15-27.
Daniel, L. R., B. P. Chew, T. S. Tanaka and L. W. Tjoelker. 1991.
$\beta$-carotene and vitamin A effects on bovine phagocyte function in vitro during peripartum period. J. Dairy Sci. 74:124.
Hayangmi, N., M. JinSan, J. YiSeok, O. H. Tacho, P. Yongho and R. H. Hong. 1999. Study of plasma
$\beta$-carotene concentration in dairy cows. Korean J. Vet. Res. 39:1021-1027.
- Weiss, W. P., J. S. Hogan, D. A. Todhunter and K. L. Smith. 1997. Effect of vitamin E supplementation in diets with a low concentration of selenium on mammary gland health of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1728-1737.
- Hogan, J. S., W. P. Weiss and K. L. Smith. 1994. Efficacy of parenteral vitamin E for treatment of bovine mastitis. Agric. Practice, 15:39-42.
- Campbell, M. H. and J. K. Miller. 1998. Effect of supplemental dietary vitamin E and Zinc on reproductive performance of dairy cows and heifers fed excess iron. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2693-2699.
- Effect of additional vitamin E and zinc supplementation on immunological changes in peripartum Sahiwal cows vol.98, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12190