- Volume 16 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Processing Cotton Straw Based Complete Diet with Expander-extruder on Performance of Crossbred Calves
- Kirubanath, K. (Feed Technology Unit, Department of Animal Nutrition, College of Veterinary Science, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University) ;
- Narsimha Reddy, D. (Feed Technology Unit, Department of Animal Nutrition, College of Veterinary Science, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University) ;
- Nagalakshmi, D. (Feed Technology Unit, Department of Animal Nutrition, College of Veterinary Science, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University)
- Received : 2002.08.06
- Accepted : 2003.05.22
- Published : 2003.11.01
A growth trial of 180 days was conducted on 18 crossbred calves (6-9 months,
- AOAC. 1997. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Ben-Ghedalia, D., G. Shefet, J. Miron and Y. Dror. 1982. Effect of ozone and sodium hydroxide treatments on some chemical characteristics of cotton straw. J. Sci. Food Agric. 33:1213-1218.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple ‘F test’. Biometrics. 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Malsur, G., T. Janardhana Reddy and G. V. Raghavan. 1998. Concentration of nitrogen metabolism in small ruminants fed with crop residues. Indian J. Anim. Res. 32(2):102-106.
- NRC. 1989. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 6th Ed. National Academic Press, Washington, DC.
- Ramachandra Rao, A., J. Rama Prasad, N. Krishna and G. V. Raghavan.1994. In vitro and In Sacco evaluation of important fibrous resources as roughage for native sheep. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 11(1):19-24.
- Reddy, G. V. N. and M. R. Reddy. 1999a. Utilization of expanderextruder processed complete diet containing sorghum straw in Ongole bull calves. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 69(1):49-50.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B.A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fibre, Neutral Detergent Fibre and Non Starch Polysaccharide in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Reddy, M. R. and G. V. N. Reddy. 1992. Effect of processing on the nutritive value of eight crop residues and two forest grasses in sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 5(2):295-301.
- Reddy, G. V. N. and M. R. Reddy. 1986. Effects of ammoniation and processing of cotton straw as the sole source of roughage in complete feeds on rumen characteristics with Murrah buffaloes. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 14:95-102.
- Reddy, M. R. 1990. Complete diets based on fibrous crop residues for dairy cattle. Indian Dairyman 42(4):180-185.
- Talapatra, S. K., S. C. Roy and K. C. Sen. 1940. Estimation of phosphorus, chlorine, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium in food stuffs. Indian J. Vet. Sci. Anim. Husb. 10:243-258.
- Reddy, G. V. N. and M. R. Reddy. 1999b. Effect of feeding extruded complete diet containing maize cobs in Ongole bull calves. Indian J. Anim. Nutr. 16(3):210-214.
- Solomon, R., J. Miron, A. Rubinstein and D. Ben-Ghedalia. 1992. Ozone treated cotton stalks as a component of a ration for growing lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 37:185-192.
- Reddy, M. R., T. Govindaiah and G. V. N. Reddy. 1992. Effect of physical processing on the nutritive value and nutrient utilization of cotton straw in goats. Abstracts-V. International Conference on Goats. p. 194.
- Kairon, M. S., P. Ramasundram and M. V. Venugopalan. 2000. Agenda for new millennium. The Hindu Survey of Indian Agriculture: 109-113.
- Kirubanath, K. 2001. Utilization of cotton straw as a roughage source in complete diets of growing calves. M.V.Sc. thesis, ANGR Agricultural University, Hyderabad, India.
- Reddy, G. V. N. and M. R. Reddy. 1985. Effect of ammonia treatment and processing of whole cotton plants as sole source of roughage in complete feeds for growing cross-bred calves. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 13:93-102.
- Reddy, G. V. N. and K. J. Reddy. 2000. Effect of expanderextruder processing on nutritive value of maize cobs based complete diet of buffaloes. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 70(2):188-190.
- Snedecor, G. V. and W. G. Cochran. 1968. Statistical methods 6th Ed. Oxford and IBH publications Co. New Delhi.
- Kearl, L. C. 1982. Nutrient requirements of ruminants in developing countries. International Feedstuffs Institute, Logan, Utah.
- Comparative analysis of chemical composition and in vitro digestibility of Bt versus non-Bt cotton crop residues in Gezira State, Sudan vol.10, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3233/MNM-16125