- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Linkage Mapping and QTL on Chromosome 6 in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle)
- Kim, J.W. (Institute of Biotechnology and Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Park, S.I. (Institute of Biotechnology and Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Yeo, J.S. (Institute of Biotechnology and Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2002.08.20
- Accepted : 2003.05.13
- Published : 2003.10.01
The QTL(quantitative traits loci) linkage mapping of Hanwoo (Korean Cattle) chromosome 6 for daily gain and marbling score was performed using 378 individuals from 18 paternal half-sib families in Hanwoo. Hanwoo chromosome 6 were mapped to total length of 394.2 cM between 28 microsatellite loci using 36 microsatellite primers of BTA 6 linkage group. The QTL analysis for daily gain in Hanwoo showed 8 microsatellite loci (BM3026-5.66, EL03-5.58, BM4311-5.29, ILSTS035-4.50, BMS1242-4.37, BM1329-3.67, BM415-3.11, BMS2460-3.03) in larger than LOD score 3.0. Based on the QTL analysis for marbling score, LOD scores of 12 microsatellite loci (BM415-8.88, BM3026-7.15, ILSTS093-5.45, ILSTS035-4.91, EL03-4.69, BMS690-4.52, BM1329-4.43, BMS511-3.74, BMS1242-3.66, BMS518-3.65, BM4311-3.41, BMC4203-3.36) were found larger than 3.0.
Hanwoo (Korean Cattle);Linkage Mapping;QTL;Marbling Score;Daily Gain;Microsatellite
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Barendse, W., D. Vaiman, S. Kemp, Y. Sugimoto, et al. 1997. A medium density genetic linkage map of the bovine genome. Mamm. Genome 8:21-28. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003359900340
- Casas, E., R. T. Stone, J. W. Keele, S. D. Shackelford, S. M. Kappes and M. Koohmaraie. 2001. A comparehensive search for quantitative traits loci affecting growth and carcass composition of cattle segregating alternative forms of the myostatin gene. J. Anim. Sci. 79:854-860.
- Kim, J. W., T. K. Jang, Y. A. Park and J. S. Yeo. 2000. Linkage mapping of chromosome 6 in the Korean Cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13 (Suppl.):235-235.
- Rexroad, C. E., G. L. Bennett, R. T. Stone, J. W. Keele, S. C. Fahrenkrug, B. A. Freking, S. M. Kappes and T. P. Smith. 2001. Comparative mapping of BTA15 and HSA11 including a region containing a QTL for meat tenderness. Mamm. Genome 12:561-565.
- Li, C., J. Basarab, W. M. Snelling, B. Benkel, B. Murdoch and S. S. Moore. 2002. The identification of common haplotypes on bovine chromosome 5 within commercial line of Bos taurus and their associations with growth traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1187-1194.
- Sambrook, J. and D. W. Russell. 2001. Molecular cloning. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. Cold Spring Harbor. NY. pp. 6.28-6.30.
- Casas, E., S. D. Shackelford, J. W. Keele, R. T. Stone, S. M. Kappes and M. Koohmaraie. 2000. Quantitative trait loci affecting growth and carcass composition of cattle segregation alternate forms of myostatin. J. Anim. Sci. 78:560-569.
- Georges, M., D. Nielsen, M. Mackinnon, A. Mishra, et al. 1995. Mapping quantitative trait loci controlling milk production in dairy cattle by exploting progeny testing. Genetics 139:907-920.
- Lander, E. S. and D. Botstein. 1989. Mapping mendelian factors underlying quantitative traits using RFLP linkage maps. Genetics 121:185-199.
- Hirano, T., N. Kobayashi, T. Nakamaru, K. Hara and Y. Sugimoto. 1998. Linkage analysis of meat quality in Wagyu. 16th International Conference on Animal Genetics, Auckland, New Zealand: E019.
- Taylor, J. F., S. K. Davis, J. O. Sanders, J. W. Turner, J. W. Turner, R. K. Miller and S. B. Smith. 1999. Identification of QTLs for growth and carcass quality in a cross between Bos indicus and Bos taurus. Plant-Animal Genome Ⅶ Conference, San Diego, CA: W19.
- Stone, R. T., J. W. Keele, S. D. Shackelford, S. M. Kappes and M. Koohmaraie. 1999. A p rimary screen of the bovine genome for quantitative trait loci affecting carcass and growth traits. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1379-1384.
- USDA-MARC. Bovine Gene Map. http://sol.marc.usda.gov/genome/cattle/cattle.html.
- Keele, J. W., S. D. Shackelford, S. M. Kappes, M. Koohmaraie and R. T. Stone. 1999. A region on bovine chromosome 15 influences beef longissimus tenderness in steers. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1364-1371.
- Green, P., K. Falls and S. Crooks. 1990. Documentation for CRIMAP, version 2.4. Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO.
- Yeo, J. S., J. W. Kim, E. J. Lee, M. Y. Lee and Y. H. Yang. 1997. Genetic analysis of cattle breeds using DNA fingerprinting. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 39:641-646.
- DNA marker mining of ILSTS035 microsatellite locus on chromosome 6 of Hanwoo cattle vol.83, pp.3, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02717893
- Power and major gene-gene identification of dummy multifactor dimensionality reduction algorithm vol.24, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.2.277
- Genetic variants and signatures of selective sweep of Hanwoo population (Korean native cattle) vol.46, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2013.46.7.211
- Stories and Challenges of Genome Wide Association Studies in Livestock — A Review vol.28, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0715
- Association of a single nucleotide polymorphism in SPP1 with growth traits and twinning in a cattle population selected for twinning rate1,2 vol.85, pp.2, 2007, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-460
- Genome-wide association study of growth in crossbred beef cattle12 vol.88, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2257
- Genome–wide association study of carcass weight in commercial Hanwoo cattle vol.31, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0276