- Volume 16 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
RAPD Fingerprinting for the Species Identification of Animals
- Huang, Mu-Chiou (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Horng, Yan-Ming (Department of Animal Science, National Chia-Yi University) ;
- Huang, Hsiu-Lin (Institute of Molecular Medicine, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University) ;
- Sin, Yen-Long (Department of Animal Science, National Chia-Yi University) ;
- Chen, Ming-Jaw (Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Ta Yeh University)
- Received : 2002.03.27
- Accepted : 2003.05.22
- Published : 2003.10.01
The studies were based on the RAPD fingerprinting for the species identification of animals. The genomic DNA samples of ostriches, Taiwan local chickens, Aboracres broilers, Leghorn chickens, quails, doves, emus, Beltville small white turkeys, pheasants, Chinese geese, mule ducks, Holstein cattle and Landrace pigs were amplified with random primers by RAPD-PCR for fingerprinting. The results showed that the varied band patterns of DNA fingerprints were generated from templates depending on the kinds of primers or animal species. The same primer applied to the same breed, all of the main bands are similar, but which were different among species. In order to try to identify the species from the mixture of meat by RAPD fingerprinting, the meat of ostrich and cattle was mixed in different ratios for this study. The results showed that it could be easily and precisely distinguished according to the band distribution of RAPD patterns.
- Andrews, C. D., R. G. Berger, R. P. Mageau, B. Schwab and R. W. Johnston. 1992. Detection of beef, sheep, deer, and horse meat in cooked meat products by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J. AOAC. Int. 75:572-576.
- Chikuni, K., T. Tabata, M. Kosugiyama, M. Monma and M. Saito. 1994. Polymerase chain reaction assay for detection of sheep and meats. Meat Sci. 37:337-345.
- Dincer, B., J. L. Spearow, R. G. Cassens and M. L. Greaser. 1987. The effects of curing and cooking on the detection of species origin of meat products by competitive and indirect ELISA techniques. Meat Sci. 20:253-260.
- Horng, Y. M. and M. C. Huang. 1999. Comparison between RAPD and RAMPO fingerprints of Holstein cattle. J. Agri. Assoc. China. 186:134-143.
- Huang, M. C. 1988. Studies on the microinjection of foreign gene into mammalian fertilized eggs. J. Agri. Forest. 37:97-109.
- Patterson, R. M., R. G. Whittaker and T. L. Spencer. 1984. Improved species identification of raw meat by double sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J. Sci. Food Agric. 35:1018-1023.
- Kang’ethe, E. K., J. M. Gathuma and K. J. Lindqvist. 1986. Identification of the species of origin of fresh, cooked and canned meat on meat products using antisera to thermostable muscle antigens by Ouchterlony’s double diffusion test. J. Sci. Food Agric. 37:157-162.
- Williams, J. G. K., A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Rafalski and S. V. Tingey. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res. 18: 6531-6535.
- Chikuni, K., K. Ozutsumi, T. Koishikawa and S. Kato. 1990. Species identification of cooked meats by DNA hybridization assay. Meat Sci. 27:119-128.
- Zerifietal, A., C. Labie and G. Bernard. 1992. SDS-PAGE technique for the species identification of cooked meat. Fleischwirtsch Int. 1: 54-56.
- Shiau, J. W. and M. C. Huang. 1997. The probe of repetitive sequence for DNA fingerprinting in Holstein cattle. J. Agri. Assoc. China. 177:1-10.
- Appannavar, M. M., M. G. Govindaiah and K. P. Ramesha. 2003. Genetic distance study among deoni breed of cattle using random amplified DNA markers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:315-319.
- Choy, Y. H., S. J. Oh and J. O. Kang. 2001. Application of RAPD method in meat for beef breed identification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1655-1658.
- Horng, Y. M. and M. C. Huang. 2000. Male-specific band in random amplified microsatellite polymorphism fingerprints of Holstein cattle. Proc. Natl. Sci. Counc. ROC (B) 24:41-46.
- King, N. L. 1984. Breakdown of connection during cooking of meat. Meat Sci. 11:27-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(84)90015-9
- Wintero, A. K., P. D. Thomsen and W. Davies. 1990. A comparison of DNA hybridization, immunodiffusion, countercurrent immunoelectrophoresis and isoelectric focusing for detecting the admixture of pork to beef. Meat Sci. 27:75-85.
- Yen, N. T., M. C. Huang and C. Tai. 2001. Genetic variation of RAPD polymorphisms in Taoyuan and Duroc pigs. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:111-118.
- Joens, S. J. and R. L. S. Patterson. 1985. Double-antibody ELISA for detection of trace amounts of pig meat in raw meat mixtures. Meat Sci. 15:1-13.
- Horng, Y. M. and M. C. Huang. 2003. Male-specific DNA sequences in pigs. Theriogenology 59:841-848.
- Sensi, E., R. Vignani, M. Scali, E. Masi and M. Cresti. 2003. DNA fingerprinting and genetic relatedness among cultivated varieties of Olea europaea L. estimated by AFLP analysis. Sci. Hort. 97:379-388.
- Huang, M. C., W. C. Lin, Y. M. Horng, R. Rouvier and C. W. Huang. 2003. Female-specific DNA sequences in geese. Br. Poult. Sci. 44:1-6.
- Martin, G. B., J. G. K. Williams and S. D. Tanksley. 1991. Rapid identification of marker linked to a pseudomonas resistance gene in tomato using random primers and near-isogenic lines. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:2336-2340.
- RAPD analysis as a tool for discriminating marble trout from hybrids (marble trout x brown trout) in the zones of hybridization vol.121, pp.3, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2004.00460.x
- A Simple and Rapid PCR-Based Method for Ostrich Sexing Using Micro Amounts of DNA vol.43, pp.6, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2007.00938.x
- Efficacy of random primer-pair arrays in plant genome analysis: a case study of Cucumis (Cucurbitaceae) for identification of wild and cultivated species vol.10, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4238/vol10-3gmr1083
- Identification of pork genome in commercial meat extracts for Halal authentication by SYBR green I real-time PCR vol.46, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2011.02577.x
- Identification of Species Origin of Meat and Meat Products on the DNA Basis: A Review vol.55, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2012.693978
- Species identification and animal authentication in meat products: a review pp.2193-4134, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11694-017-9625-z