- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
L-Arginine Ameliorates Kidney Function and Urinary Bladder Sensitivity in Experimentally-induced Renal Dysfunction in Rats
- Mansour, Mahmoud A. (Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University) ;
- Al-Shabanah, Othman A. (Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University) ;
- El-Khashef, Hassan A. (Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University)
- Received : 2002.12.25
- Accepted : 2003.02.25
- Published : 2003.07.31
Effects of L-arginine and NG-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME) on the renal dysfunction that is induced by cisplatin (CDDP) were investigated. A single dose of CDDP (7.5 mg/kg i.p.) induced renotoxicity, which was manifested by increasing the sensitivity of isolated urinary bladder rings to acetylcholine (ACh), together with a significant elevation of serum urea and creatinine, and a severe decrease in serum albumin. Moreover, renal dysfunction was further confirmed by a significant decrease of enzyme activities, such as glutathione peroxidase, GSH-Px (E.C 184.108.40.206), catalase (E.C 220.127.116.11), as well as a significant increase in lipid peroxides that were measured as malondialdhyde (MDA) in kidney tissue homogenates. The administration of L-arginine (70 mg/kg/d p.o in drinking water 5 d before and 5 d after the CDDP injection) significantly ameliorated the renotoxic effects of CDDP, as judged by restoring the normal responses of isolated bladder rings to Ach, and also by an improvement in a range of renal function indices, which included serum urea and creatinine concentrations and kidney weight. In addition, L-arginine prevents the rise of MDA, as well as a reduction of GSH-Px and catalase activities in kidney tissues homogenates. On the other hand, the administration of L-NAME (4 mg/kg/d p.o) resulted in no protection against renal dysfunction that was induced by CDDP treatment. The findings of this study suggest that L-arginine can attenuate kidney injury that is produced by CDDP treatment. In addition, L-arginine may be a beneficial remedy for CDDP-induced renal toxicity, and could be used to improve the therapeutic index of CDDP.
- Badary, O. A., Nagi, M. N., Al-Sawaf, H. A., Al-Harbi, M. M. and Al-Bekairi, A. M. (1997) Effect of L-histidinol on cisplatin nephrotoxicity in the rat. Nephron 77, 435-439. https://doi.org/10.1159/000190321
- Bartles, H., Bohmer, M. and Heieri, C. (1972) Serum kreatininbestimmung ohne Enteiweissen Clin. Chim. Acta 37, 193-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(72)90432-9
- Bhardwaj, R. and Moore, P. K. (1989) The effect of arginine and nitric oxide on resistance blood vessels of the perfused rat kidney. Br. J. Pharmacol 97, 739-744. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1989.tb12011.x
- Borch, R. F. and Pleasants, M. E. (1979) Inhibition of cisplatinum nephrotoxicity by diethyldithiocarbamate rescue in a rat model. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76, 6611-6614. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.76.12.6611
- Cernadas, M., Lopez-Farre, A., Riesco, A., Gallego, M., Espinosa,G., Digiuni, E., Hernando, L., Casado, S. and Caramelo, C.(1992) Renal and systemic effects of amino acids administered separately: Comparison between L-arginine and non nitric oxide donor amino acids. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 263, 1023-1029.
- Choi, B. -M., Pae, H. O., Jang, S. I., Kim, Y. M. and Chung, H. T. (2002) Nitric oxide as a pro-apoptotic as well as antiapoptotic modulator. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 35, 116-126. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2002.35.1.116
- de-Belder, A. J. and Radomski, M. W. (1994) Nitric oxide in the clinical arena. J. Hypertens. 12, 617-624.
- Dehpour, A. R., Essalat, M., Ala, S., Ghazi-Khansari, M. andGhafourifar, P. (1999) Increase by NO synthase inhibition of lead-induced release of N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase from perfused rat kidney. Toxicology 15, 119-125.
- Deray, G., Dubois, M., Beaufils, H., Cacoub, P., Anouar, M.,Jaudon, M. C., Baumelou, A., Jouanneau, C. and Jacobs, C. (1988) Effects of nifedipine on cisplatinum-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Clin. Nephrol. 30, 146-150.
- Ellman, G. L. (1959) Tissue sulfahydryl groups. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 82, 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(59)90090-6
- Goldstein, R. S. and Mayor, G. H. (1983) The nephrotoxicity of cisplatin. Life Sci. 32, 685-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(83)90299-0
- Hannemann, J. and Baumann, K. (1988) Cisplatin-induced lipid peroxidation and decrease of gluconeogenesis in rat kidney cortex: different effects of antioxidants and radical scavengers. Toxicology 51, 119-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-483X(88)90143-6
Higgins, C. P., Baehner, R. L., McCallister, J. and Boxer, L. A.(1978) Polymorphnuclear leukocytes species difference in the disposal of hydrogen peroxide (
$H_2O_2$). Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 158, 478-481. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-158-40230
- Ishikawa, M., Takayanagi, Y. and Sasaki, I. (1990) Enhancement of cisplatin toxicity by buthionine sulfoximine, a glutathionedepleting agent in mice. Res. Commun. Chem. Pathol. Pharmacol. 67, 131-141.
- Knight, R. J., Collis, M. G., Yates, M. S. and Bowmer, C. J.(1991) Amelioration of cisplatin-induced acute renal failure with 8-cyclopentyl-1,3-dipropylxanthine. Br. J. Pharmacol. 104, 1062-1068. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1991.tb12550.x
- Kraus, R. J. and Ganther, H. E. (1980) Reaction of cyanide with glutathione peroxidase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 16, 1116-1122.
- Li, Q., Bowmer, C. and Yates, M. (1994) Effect of arginine on cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in rat. Biochem. Pharmacol. 47, 2298-2301. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(94)90269-0
- Li, Q., Bowmer, C. and Yates, M. (1994) The protective effect of glycine in cisplatin nephrotoxicity: Inhibition with NG-nitro-Larginine methylester. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 46, 346-351. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1994.tb03810.x
- Loehrer, P. J. and Einhorn, L. H. (1984) Cisplatin. Ann. Intern. Med. 100, 704-713. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-100-5-704
- Misko, T. P., Moore, W. M., Kasten, T. P., Nickols, G. A., Corbett,J. A., Tilton, R. G., McDaniel, M. L., Williamson, J. R. andCurrie, M. (1993) Selective inhibition of the inducible nitric oxide synthase by aminoguanidine. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 233, 119-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(93)90357-N
- Mostafa, A. M., Nagi, M. N., Al-Shabanah, O. A. and El-Kashef,H. A. (2000) Effect of aminoguanidine and melatonin on the response of isolated urinary bladder to acetylcholine in normal and diabetic rats. Med. Sci. Res. 28, 33-37.
- Nakamura, I., Takahashi, C. and Miyagawa, I. (1992) The alterations of norepinephrine and acetylcholine concentrations in immature rat urinary bladder caused by streptozotocininduced diabetes. J. Urol. 148, 423-426.
- Offerman, J., Meijer, S., Sleijfer, D., Mulder, N., Donker, A.,Schraffordt Koops. and H, van der Hem, G. (1984) Acute effect of cis-diamminedichloro-platinum (CDDP) on renal function. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 12, 36-38. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00255906
- Ohkawa, H., Ohishi, N. and Yagi, K. (1979) Assay of lipid peroxides in normal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal. Biochem. 95, 351-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Patton, C. J. and Crouch, S. R. (1977) Spectrophotometric and kinetics investigation of the Berthelot reaction for the determination of ammonia. Anal. Chem. 49, 464-469. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50011a034
- Prestayko, A. W, Crooke, S. T. and Carter, S. K. (1980) Cisplatin: Current status and new developments. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Rosenberg, B. (1977) Noble metal complexes in cancer chemotherapy. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 91, 129-133.
- Safirstein, R., Winston, J., Moel, D., Dikman, S. and Guttenplan, J. (1987) Cisplatin nephrotoxicity insights into mechanism. Int. J. Androl. 10, 325-346. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.1987.tb00200.x
- Srivastava, R. C., Farookh, A., Ahmad, N., Misra, M., Hasan, S. K. and Husain, M. M. (1996) Evidence for the involvement of nitric oxide in cisplation induced toxicity in rats. Biometals 9, 139-142.
- Tay, L. K., Bregman, C. L., Masters, B. A. and Williams, P. D.(1988) Effect of cis-diamminedichloroplatinum on rabbit kidney in vivo and on rabbit renal proximal tubule cells in culture. Cancer Res. 48, 2538-2543.
- Vermeulen, N. P. and Baldew, G. S. (1992) The role of lipid peroxidation in the nephrotoxicity of cisplatin. Biochem. Pharmacol. 44, 1139-1199. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(92)90378-V
- Von-Hoff, D. D., Schilsky, R., Reichert, C. M., Reddick, R. L.,Rozencweig, M., Young, R. C. and Muggia, F. M. (1979) Toxic effects of cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum in man. Cancer Treat. Rep. 63, 1527-1531.
- Walker, E. M. and Gale, G. R. (1981) Methods of reduction of cisplatin nephrotoxicity. Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 11, 397-410.
- Wang, L., Kubodera, S., Ueno, A. and Takeda, M. (2001) Effects of nitric oxide synthesis inhibition on FK-506-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Renal. Fail. 23, 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1081/JDI-100001279
- Role of oxidative and nitrosative stress in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity vol.61, pp.3, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.etp.2008.09.003
- Montelukast ameliorates kidney function and urinary bladder sensitivity in experimentally induced renal dysfunction in rats vol.27, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-8206.2011.00996.x
- l-Arginine attenuates the ethylene glycol induced urolithiasis in ininephrectomized hypertensive rats: role of KIM-1, NGAL, and NOs vol.37, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3109/0886022X.2015.1011967
- Safety Evaluation ofZingiber cassumunarRoxb. Rhizome Extract: Acute and Chronic Toxicity Studies in Rats vol.2014, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/632608
- Investigation into the antioxidant role of arginine in the treatment and the protection for intralipid-induced non-alcoholic steatohepatitis vol.14, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12944-015-0124-0