- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Wind-induced dynamic response and its load estimation for structural frames of circular flat roofs with long spans
- Uematsu, Yasushi (Department of Architecture and Building Science, Tohoku University) ;
- Yamada, Motohiko (New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University)
- Published : 2002.02.25
This paper describes a simple method for evaluating the design wind loads for the structural frames of circular flat roofs with long spans. The dynamic response of several roof models were numerically analyzed in the time domain as well as in the frequency domain by using wind pressure data obtained from a wind tunnel experiment. The instantaneous displacement and bending moment of the roof were computed, and the maximum load effects were evaluated. The results indicate that the wind-induced oscillation of the roof is generally dominated by the first mode and the gust effect factor approach can be applied to the evaluation of the maximum load effects. That is, the design wind load can be represented by the time-averaged wind pressure multiplied by the gust effect factor for the first mode. Based on the experimental results for the first modal force, an empirical formula for the gust effect factor is provided as a function of the geometric and structural parameters of the roof and the turbulence intensity of the approach flow. The equivalent design pressure coefficients, which reproduce the maximum load effects, are also discussed. A simplified model of the pressure coefficient distribution is presented.
- Davenport, A.G. and Surry, D. (1984), "Turbulent wind forces on a large span roof and their representation by equivalent static loads", Canadian J. of Civ. Eng., 11, 955-966. https://doi.org/10.1139/l84-110
- Hongo, T. "Experimental study of wind forces on spherical roofs", Ph.D. Thesis, Tohoku University, 1995 (in Japanese).
- Marukawa, H., Uematsu, Y., Tamura, Y., Nakamura, O. and Ueda, H. (1993), "Design wind loads on flat long-span roof", Proc. the 4th East Asia-Pacific Conf. on Struct. Eng. and Construct., Seoul, Korea, 1619-1624.
- Sasaki, A., Uematsu, Y., Yamada, M. and Hongo, T. (1999), "Wind-induced dynamic response and its load estimation of circular flat roofs with long spans ", J. Struct. Construct. Eng., AIJ, 517, 39-44 (in Japanese).
- Ueda, H. and Tamura, Y. (1994), "Equivalent design pressure coefficients for beams supporting flat roofs", J. Struct. Construct. Eng., Architectural Institute of Japan, 464, 59-69 (in Japanese).
- Uematsu, Y., Yamada, M. and Sasaki, A. (1996), "Wind-induced dynamic response and resultant load estimation for a flat long-span roof", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 65, 155-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00032-9
- Uematsu, Y., Yamada, M. and Karasu, A. (1997a), "Design wind loads for structural frames of flat long-span roofs: Gust loading factor for the beams supporting roofs", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 66, 35-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00005-6
- Uematsu, Y., Yamada, M. and Karasu, A. (1997b), "Design wind loads for structural frames of flat long-span roofs: Gust loading factor for a structurally integrated type", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 66, 155-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00008-1
- Uematsu, Y., Yamada, M., Sasaki, A. and Hongo, T. (1998), "Design wind loads for structural frames of circular flat roofs", Proc. of the 2nd East European Conf. on Wind Eng., Prague, Czech Republic, 525-532.
- MODEL OF WIND PRESSURES ON CIRCULAR FLAT ROOFS AND ITS APPLICATION TO LOAD ESTIMATION(Structures) vol.9, pp.18, 2003, https://doi.org/10.3130/aijt.9.25_2
- Coupled wind-induced responses and equivalent static wind loads on long-span roof structures with the consistent load–response–correlation method vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217706781
- Model of wind pressure field on circular flat roofs and its application to load estimation vol.96, pp.6-7, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.06.025
- Wind-Induced vibration responses of prestressed double-layered spherical latticed shells vol.11, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-011-2007-1
- DESIGN WIND LOADS FOR STRUCTURAL FRAMES OF RECTANGULAR FLAT ROOFS(Structures) vol.9, pp.17, 2003, https://doi.org/10.3130/aijt.9.71
- Universal Equivalent Static Wind Loads of Fluctuating Wind Loads on Large-Span Roofs Based on POD Compensation vol.18, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43126.96.36.1993
- Wind effects on a large cantilevered flat roof: loading characteristics and strategy of reduction vol.8, pp.5, 2005, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2005.8.5.357
- AN APPROXIMATION METHOD FOR COMPUTING THE DYNAMIC RESPONSES AND EQUIVALENT STATIC WIND LOADS OF LARGE-SPAN ROOF STRUCTURES vol.10, pp.05, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455410003944
- Effect of parapets to pressure distribution on flat top of a finite cylinder vol.17, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.5.465
- Wind-induced dynamic response and its load estimation for structural frames of single-layer latticed domes with long spans vol.5, pp.6, 2002, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2002.5.6.543
- Equivalent Static Wind Loads on Single-Layer Cylindrical Steel Shells vol.144, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002063