- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Studies on the MC1R Gene Frequencies in Landrace, Large White, Duroc and Jeju Native Black Pigs
랜드레이스, 대요크셔, 듀록 및 제주 흑돈의 Melanocortin 1 Receptor(MC1R) 유전자의 유전자형 분석
- Cho, I.C. (National Jeju Agricultural Experiment Station, R.D.A) ;
- Lee, J.G. (Division of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jung, J.G. (National Jeju Agricultural Experiment Station, R.D.A) ;
- Yang, B.S. (National Jeju Agricultural Experiment Station, R.D.A) ;
- Kang, S.Y. (National Jeju Agricultural Experiment Station, R.D.A) ;
- Kim, B.W. (Division of Animal Science, Gyeongsang National University)
- 조인철 (농촌진흥청 제주농업시험장) ;
- 이정규 (경상대학교 축산과학부) ;
- 정진관 (농촌진흥청 제주농업시험장) ;
- 양보석 (농촌진흥청 제주농업시험장) ;
- 강승률 (농촌진흥청 제주농업시험장) ;
- 김병우 (경상대학교 축산과학부)
- Published : 2002.04.30
This study was conducted to investigate the genotypes and frequencies of Melanocortin 1 Receptor(MC1R) genes in pigs which plays a central role in regulation of eumelanin (black/brown) and phaeomelanin(red/yellow) pigment synthesis within the mammalian melanocytes. Four different breeds of pigs(20 Landrace, 20 Yorkshire, 20 Duroc, and 93 Jeju native black pigs) were used and PCR-RFLP analysis of MC1R gene was also carried out. Two regions of MC1R genes (428bp and 405bp) were amplified using two specific primers (MERL1-EPIG2, EPIG1-EPIG3), respectively and MC1R allele were determined using 2 restriction enzymes (BspHⅠ, AccⅡ). The results of this experiment indicated that MC1R allelic type in Landrace, Large Yorkshire and Duroc were MC1R *2 (Ep), MC1R *2 (Ep), MC1R *4 (e), respectively. However, various allelic types of MC1R genes were detected in Jeju native black pigs. MC1R allelic type of Jeju black pigs was MC1R*2 type as in Meishan and Large black breeds or MC1R*3 type as in Hampshire and Berkshire breeds and the gene frequencies of ED1 and ED2 were 0.554 and 0.446 in average.
MC1R gene;PCR-RFLP;Jeju native black pigs
- Kijas, J. M., Moller, M., Plastow, G. and Anderson, L. 2001. A frameshift mutation in MC1R and a high frequency of somatic reversions cause black spotting in pigs. Genetics 150:1177-1185.
- Andre C, Hampe A, Lachaume P, Martin, E. and Wang X-P. 1997. Sequence analysis of two genomic regions containing the KIT and the FMS receptor tyrosine kinase genes. Genomics 39:216- 226.
- Dag Inge Vage, Dongsi Lu and Helge Klungland. 1997. A non-epistatic interaction of agouti and extension in the fox, vulpes. Nature. Genet. 15: 311.
- Elena, V. Sviderskaya and Edward K. Novak. 1997. The Murine Misty Mutation: Phenotypic Effect on Melanocytes, Platelets and Brown Fat. Genetics. 148:381-390.
- Eugene Healy, Siobhán A. Jordan, Peter S. Budd and Ruth Suffolk. 2001. Functional variation of MC1R alleles from red-haired individuals. Hum. Genet. 21:2397-2402.
- Giuffra, E., Evans, G. and Tornsten, A. 1999. The Belt mutation in pigs is allele at the Dominant white(I/KIT) locus. Mamm. Genome 10, 1132- 1136.
- Giuffra, E., Kijas, J. M. H., Amarger, V., Carlborg, O. and Jeon, J.-T. 2000. The origin of the domestic pig: independent domestication and subsequent introgression. Genetics 154:1785-1791.
- Wagner, H. J. and Reissmann, M. 2000. New polymorphism detected in the horse MC1R gene. Anim. Genet. 31:280-291. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2000.00655.x
- Jackson. 1993. Color-coded switches. Nature. Vol 362:587-588.
- Joerg, H., Fries, H. R., Meijerink, E. and Stranzinger, G. F. 1996. Red coat color in Holstein cattle is associated with a deletion in the MSHR gene. Mamm. Genome 7:317-318. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003359900090
- Johansson, M., Marklund, L., Sandberg, K. and Andersson, L. 1994. Cosegregation between the chestnut coat colour in horses and polymorphisms at the melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) receptor locus. Anim. Genet. 25(suppl):35.
- Johansson, M., Ellegren, H., Marklund, L., Gustavsson, U. and Ringmar-Cederberg, E. 1992. The gene for dominant white color in the pig is closely linked to ALB and PDGFRA on chromosome 8. Genomics 14:965-969.
- Johansson Moller, M., Chaudhary, R., Hellmen, E., Hoyheim, B. and Chowdhary, B. 1996. Pigs with the dominant white coat color phenotype carry a duplication of the KIT gene encoding the mast/stem cell growth factor receptor. Mamm. Genome 7:822-830.
- Kijas, J. M. H., Wales, R., Tornsten, A., Chardon, P. and Moller, M. 1998. Melanocortin receptor 1 (MC1R) mutations and coat color in pigs. Genetics 150:1177-1185.
- Klungland, H., Vage, D. I., Gomez-Raya, L., Adalsteinsson, S. and Lien, S. 1995. The role of melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) receptor in bovine coat color determination. Mamm. Genome 6:636-639.
- Lu, D., Willard, D., Patel, I. R., Kadwell, S., Overton, L., Kost, T., Luther, M., Chen, W., Woychik, R. P., Wilkison, W. O. and Cone, R. D. 1994. Agouti protein is an antagonist of the melanocyte-stimulating-hormone receptor. Nature 371:799-802. https://doi.org/10.1038/371799a0
- Mariani, P., Johansson Moller, M., Hoyheim, B., Marklund, L. and Davies, W. 1996. The extension coat color locus and the loci for Blood Group O and Tyrosine Aminotransferase are on pig chromosome 6. J. Hered. 87:272-276.
- Marklund, L., Moller, M. J., Sandberg, K. and Andersson, L. 1996. A missense mutation in the gene for melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor (MC1R) is associated with the chestnut coat color in horses. Mamm. Genome 7:895-899.
- Marklund, L., Moller, M. J., Sandberg, K. and Andersson, L. 1999. Close association between sequence polymorphism in the KIT gene and the roan coat color in horse. Mamm. Genome 10: 283-288.
- Marklund, L., Johansson Moller, M., Hoyheim, B., Davies, W. and Fredholm, M. 1996. A comprehensive linkage map of the pig based on a Wild Boar-Large White intercross. Anim. Genet. 27:255-269.
- Marklund, S., Kijas, J., Rodriguez-Martinez, H., Ronnstrand, L. and Funa, K. 1998. Molecular basis for the dominant white phenotype in the domestic pig. Genome Res. 8:826-833.
- Newton, J. M., Wilkie, A. L., He, L., Jordan, S. A. and Metallinos, D. L. 2000. Melanocortin 1 receptor variation in the domestic dog. Mamm. Genome 11:24-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003350010005
- Robbins, L. S., Nadeau, J. H., Johnson, K. R., Kelly, M. A., Roselli-Rehfuss, L., Baack, E., Mountjoy, K. G. and Cone, R. D. 1993. Pigmentation phenotypes of variant extension locus alleles result from point mutations that alter MSH receptor function. Cell 72:827-834. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(93)90572-8
- Stefan Rieder, Sead Taourit, Denis Mariat, Bertrand Langlois and Gerard Guerin. 2001. Mutations in the agouti (ASIP), the extension (MC1R), and the brown(TYRP1) loci and their association to coat color phenotypes in horses (Equus caballus). Mamm. Genome 11:450-455.
- Vage, D. I. and Klungland, Dongsi Lu. 1999. Molecular and pharmacological characterization of dominant black coat color in sheep. Mamm. Genome 10:39-43.
- Valverde, P., Healy, E., Jackson, I., Rees, J. L. and Thody, A. J. 1995. Variants of the melanocyte-stimulating hormone receptor gene are associated with red hair and fair skin in humans. Nature Genet. 11:328-330. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1195-328
- Characterization of the European type of maternal lineage evident in extant Jeju native pigs vol.33, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-010-0129-z