- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Multi-breed Genetic Evaluation for Swine in Korea
국내 종돈의 다품종 유전능력 평가
- Do, C.H. (Korea Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Park, H.Y. (Konkuk University Department of Animal Science) ;
- Hyun, J.Y. (Korea Animal Improvement Association)
- Published : 2002.08.31
This study was carried out for the simultaneous genetic evaluation of swine breeds from the seedstock farms in Korea. The performance tested production records of 96,842 heads and the litter records of 90,396 litters from 1995 to 2001 were analyzed to estimate the breeding values and the breed effects of days to 90kg, daily gain, back fat thickness, loin muscle area, lean meat percent, total litter size and number born alive from Landrace, Yorkshire and Duroc. Estimated breed effects of traits had shown the characteristics of the breeds. Landrace was superior in back fat thickness and lean meat percent to other breeds. Yorkshire had shown good performance in lean meat percent, loin muscle area, total litter size and number born alive. Duroc was superior to the other breeds in days to 90kg and daily gain. Conclusively, the multi-breed genetic evaluation would result in higher connectedness and provide convenience for the routine genetic evaluation process of swine performance and reproduction test.
Multi-breed evaluation;Breeding value;Breed effect;Genetic group
- Elzo, M. A. 1990. Covariances among sire by breed group of dam interaction effects in multibreed sire evaluation procedures. J. Anim. Sci. 68:4079-4099. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68124079x
- Henderson C. R. 1988. Theoretical basis and computational methods for a number of different animal models. J. Dairy Sci. 71(Suppl. 2):1.
- Martel, J., Minvielle, F. and Poste, L. M. 1988. Effects of crossbreeding and sex on carcass composition cooking properties and sensory characteristics of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 66:41-46. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.66141x
- Quaas, R. L. 1988. Additive genetic model with groups and relationships. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1388.
- Roehe, R. and Kennedy, B. W. 1995. Estimation of genetic parameters for litter size in Canadian Yorkshire and Landrace swine with each parity of farrowing treated as a different trait. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2959-2970. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73102959x
- Schaeffer, L. R. 1983. Notes on linear model theory, best linear unbiased prediction, and variance components. Guelph University, Guelph, Canada.
- Wiggans, G. R., Misztal, I. and Van Vleck, L. D. 1988. Implementation of an animal model for genetic evaluation of dairy cattle in the United States. J. Dairy Sci. 71(Suppl. 2):54.
- 종돈능력개량보고서(I). 2000. 한국종축개량협회.
- 최진성, 이정규. 2001. 농장검정돼지의 품종, 성 및 환경요인이 경제형질에 미치는 효과. 동물자원지 : 43(4):431-444.