- Volume 44 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Determination of Physico-chemical Properties and Quality Attributes of Hanwoo Beef with Grade and Sex
한우의 등급간, 성별간 품질 특성 및 이화학적 성분 규명
- Kim, J.W. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Cheon, Y.H. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Jang, A.R. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Min, J.S. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, S.O. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, M. (Laboratory of Muscle Food Science and Technology, School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- 김중완 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실) ;
- 천용헌 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실) ;
- 장애라 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실) ;
- 민중석 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실) ;
- 이상옥 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실) ;
- 이무하 (서울대학교 농생명공학부 근육식품학연구실)
- Published : 2002.10.31
This study was carried out to determine the physico-chemical components and to examine it the consumers can tell the difference in eating quality of loins of Hanwoo with grade and sex. Loins of 36 carcasses were selected and their intramuscular fat, color, pH, water holding capacity, shear force, the amount of myoglobin and moisture content were measured. The result was that only intramuscular fat was significantly different with grades. In Pearson correlation coefficients among quality factors, moisture content increased significantly with the amount of myoglobin(0.514) and shear force(0.503) and decreased as intramuscular fat(－0.957) and water holding capacity(－0.491) increased. Also, content of intramuscular fat decreased as shear force(－0.565) increased. According to descriptive analysis, aroma and acceptability in the 2nd grade steer showed the highest score. Aroma, juiciness and tenderness may affect acceptability of cooked meat. Also, juiciness, tenderness and acceptability had a negative correlation with moisture content and the intramuscular fat did not affect tenderness directly.
- Bendall, J. R. 1972. Consumption of oxygen by the muscles of beef animals and related species and its effect on the colour of meat. Ⅰ. Oxygen consumption in pre-riogor muscle. J. Sci. Food Agric. 23:61.
- Bouton, P. E., Caroll, F. D., Fisher, A. L., Harris, P. V. and Shorthose, W. R. 1973. Effect of altering ultimate pH on bovine muscle tenderness. J. Food Sci. 38:816.
- Bouton, P. E., Caroll, F. D., Fisher, A. L., Harris, P. V. and Shorthose, W. R. 1973. Influence of pH and fiber contraction stats upon factors affecting the tenderness of bovine muscle. J. Food Sci. 38:404.
- Cornforth, D. P., Vahabzadeh, F., Carpenter, C. E. and Bartholomew, D. T. 1986. Role of reduced hemochromes in pink color defect of cooked turkey rolls. J. Food Sci. 51:1132.
- Eagerman, B. A., Clydesdale, F. M. and Francis, F. J. 1977. Determination of fresh meat color by objective methods. J. Food Sci. 42:707.
- Folch, J., Lees, M. and Sloan-Stanley, 1957. G.H. A simple method for the isolation and purification and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Bio Chem. 226:497.
- Froning, G. W., Daddario, J. and Hartung, T. E. 1968. Color and myoglobin concentration as affected by age, sex and strain. Poultry Sci. 47: 1287.
- Govindarajin, S. 1973. Fresh meat color. Food Technol. 4:117.
- Krqywicki, K. 1982. The determination of haem pigments in meat. Meat Science. 7:29.
- Livingston, K. J. and Brown, W. K. 1981. The chemistry of myoglobin and its reaction, Food Technol. 35(5):244.
- Ramsbottom, J. M. and Strandine, E. J. 1948. Comparative tenderness and identification of muscles in wholesale beef cuts. Food Res. 13:315.
- Ramsey, C. B., Tribble, L. F., Wu, C. and Lind, K. D. 1990. Effects of grains, marbling and sex on pork tenderness and composition. J. Anim. Sci. 68:148.
- Rickert, J. A., Bressler, L., Ball, C. O. and Stier, E. F. 1959. Factor affecting quality of pre- packages meat. Ⅱ. Color studies. B. Effects of storage time, storage temperature, antioxidant, bacteria, light, freezing and fat upon color of product. Food Technol. 11:567.
- Schmidt, G. and Trout, G. 1984. pH and color. Meat Ind. Aug:30.
- Snyder, H. E. 1965. Analysis of pigments at the surface of fresh beef with reflectance spec- trophotometry. J. Food Sci. 30:457.
- Stewart, M. R. and Ziper, M. W. and Watt, B. M. 1965. The use of reflectance spectro- photometry for the assay of raw meat pigments. L. Food Sci. 30:464.
- 이유방, 성삼경. 1989. 식육과 육제품의 분석 실습. 선진문화사. 서울.
- Sex Identification of Bovine Meat Using Male Specific SRY and ZFY Genes vol.27, pp.3, 2007, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.3.351
- Quality Comparison of Beef from Outdoor-Reared before Finishing and Indoor-Reared Hanwoo vol.28, pp.5, 2008, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.5.629
- Effect of Quality Grade on the Physicochemical and Sensory Properties of Hanwoo vol.33, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.2.287
- Comparison of Chemical Composition, Physico-chemical Properties and Fatty Acid Composition of Horse Meat by Different Grade and Cuts vol.55, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.3.211
- Meat quality traits as a function of cow maturity vol.88, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12635
- Immunoaffinity-HPLC Analysis for Vitamin B12 of Korean Cattle-Hanwoo (Bos taurus coreanae) vol.11, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-018-1248-4