- Volume 44 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Growth Inhibition of Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium by Lactic Acid Bacteria
유산균에 의한 Escherichia coli와 Salmonella typhimurium의 생육억제에 관한 연구
- Kim, E.A. (Institute of Dairy Food Research, Seoul Dairy Cooperative) ;
- Baick, S.C. (Institute of Dairy Food Research, Seoul Dairy Cooperative) ;
- Chung, W.H. (Institute of Dairy Food Research, Seoul Dairy Cooperative)
- Published : 2002.08.31
The inhibitory effect of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria on the growth of typical intestinal pathogens, Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium was studied. The degree of inhibition was measured by well disc assay and turbidimetry method. The strains which showed the higher antimicrobial activity were L. acidophilus La-5, L. acidophilus NCFM, L. casei Lc-01 on the average by using two different methods. The associative cultures were performed with selected 3 lactobacilli and 2 enteropathogens E. coli and S. typhimurium, respectively. Inhibition of pathogen began at 9hr after culturing so that viable counts was decreased rapidly. After 30hr incubation, there were no viable pathogens from the mixed culture. Under this experimental condition, the antimicrobial activity of lactic acid bacteria was not due to pH alone and supposed to different to the strains.
Lactobacilli;Bifidobacteria;Antimicrobial activity;Associative culture
- Abdel-Bar, N., Harris, N. D. and Rill, R. L. 1987. Purification and properties of an anti- microbial substance produced by Lactobacillus bulgaricus. J. Food Sci. 52(2):411-415. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb06627.x
- Adams, M. R. and Hall, C. J. 1988. Growth inhibition of food-borne pathogens by lactic and acetic acid and their mixtures. International J. Food Sci. Technol. 23:287-292.
- Apella, M. C., Gonzalez, S. N., Nader de Macias, M. E., Romero, N. and Oliver, G. 1992. In vitro studies on the inhibition of the growth of Shigella sonnei by Lactobacillus casei and Lact. acidophilus. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 73:480-483.
- Biffi, A., Coradini, D., Larsen, R., Riva, L. and Fronzo, G. Di. 1997. Antiproliferative effect of fermented milk on the growth of a human breast cancer cell line. Nutr. Cancer. 28(1):93-99.
- ten Brink, B., Minekus, M., van der Vossen, J. M. B. M., Leer, R. J. and Huis In’t Veld, J. H. J. 1994. Antimicrobial activity of lactobacilli: Preliminary characterization and optimization of production of acidocin B, a novel bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus acidophilus M46. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 77:140-148.
- Frank, J. F. 1991. Mechanism of pathogen inhibition by lactic acid bacteria, The 7th Inter- national Symposium on Lactic Acid Bacteria and Human Health, Seoul, Korea, p. 3-10.
- Gilliland, S. E. and Speck, M. L. 1977. Anta- gonistic action of Lactobacillus acidophilus toward intestinal and food-borne pathogens in associative cultures. J. Food Prot. 40:820-823. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-40.12.820
- Gonzalez, S. N., Apella, M. C., Romero, N. C. and Oliver, G. 1993. Inhibition of enteropathogens by Lactobacilli strains used in fermented milk. J. Food Protect. 56(9):773-776.
- Itoh, K. 1999. Lactic acid bacteria and intestinal microflora, The 11th International Symposium on Lactic Acid Bacteria and Human Health, Seoul, Korea, p. 23-25.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, Y. K. and Gilliland, S. E. 1997. Screening and partial purification of bacteriocins by strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus isolated from human origin. Kor. Dairy Technol. 15(1): 21-26.
- Kroger, M., and Kurmann, J. A. 1989. Fermented milks - past, present and future. Food Technol. 43:92-99.
- Lewus, C. B., Kaiser, A. and Monteville, T. J. 1991. Inhibition of food-born bacterial pathogens by bacteriocins from Lactic Acid Bacteria isolated from meat. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57(6):1683- 1688.
- Mcfarland, L. V. and Elmer, G. W. 1995. Bio- therapeutic agents: Past, present and future. Microecol. Ther. 23:46-73.
- Plockova, M., Chumchalova, J. and Tomanova, J. 1997. Antifungal activity of Lactobacillus acid- ophilus, CH5 metabolites. Potrav. Vedy. 15(1):39- 48.
- Sanders, M. E. 1999. Probiotics. Food Technol. 53(11):67-77.
- Tramer, T. and Fowler, G. G. 1964. Estimation of nisin in foods. J. Sci. Food Agric. 15:522-528. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740150802
- 김지란, 유제현, 이낙형, 이윤호, 이원창. 1997. 병원성 대장균 O157:H7에 대한 유산균발효유의 발육억제효과에 관한 실험적 연구. 한국유가공기술과학회지. 15(1):11-20.
- 안영태, 신필기, 김현욱. 1997. 젖산균과 비피더스균에 의한 Escherichia coli O157:H7과 Salmo- nella typhimurium의 생장억제. 한국식품위생안전성학회지. 12(3):181-187.
- 박은천. 1980. 유산균과 장내병원성 세균의 길항작용에 관한 연구. 건국대학교 석사학위논문.
- Repeated-Dose Oral Toxicity Study of Lactobacillus Plantarum AF1 Isolated from Kimchi in Rats vol.41, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.5.612