- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Harvest Stage on Forage Yield and Quality of Silage Corn at Late Planting
만기파종에서 수확시 숙기가 사일리지용 옥수수의 사초수량과 품질에 미치는 영향
- Kim, J.D. (Yonam College of Agriculture) ;
- Kwon, C.H. (Yonam College of Agriculture) ;
- Kim, S.G. (Yonam College of Agriculture) ;
- Park, H.S. (Yonam College of Agriculture) ;
- Ko, H.J. (Yonam College of Agriculture) ;
- Kim, J.K. (Hyundae Feedmil)
- 김종덕 (연암축산원예대학) ;
- 권찬호 (연암축산원예대학) ;
- 김수곤 (서울대학교 농생명공학부) ;
- 박형수 (서울대학교 농생명공학부) ;
- 고한종 (서울대학교 농생명공학부) ;
- 김종관 (현대사료 (주))
- Published : 2002.04.30
The corn (Zea mays L) planting date in a double-cropping system is delayed until mid-May due to delayed rye harvest on May. This experiment was conducted to determine the optimum harvesting time for high yield and the best quality of silage corn at late planting date after harvesting winter rye. Corns were planted on 21 May and harvested at eight different maturity stage at Seoul National University Experimental Livestock Farm, Suwon in 1997. Maturities were B (blister; 16 days after silking), M (milk; 20 days), LM (late milk; 24 days), SD (soft dough; 28 days), ED (early dent; 33 days), FD (full dent; 38 days), LD (late dent; 44 days) and PM (physiological maturity; 53 days) stages. The percentage of whole plant dry matter (DM) showed optimum range for silage making (29.0 to 38.5%) when corn plant was harvested at between ED and LD stages. Maximum whole plant DM (14,831 kg/ha) and total digestible nutrients (TDN) yields (10,675 kg/ha) reached at full dent stage. The percentage of whole plant acid detergent fiber (ADF) was decreased from 35.4 to 22.1%, and that of neutral detergent fiber (NDF) was also decreased from 63.8 to 46.0% as harvest stage progressed. These changes in chemical compositions were associated with changes in plant part composition. A progressive increase in total ear, and the decrease in stover portion in the plant were observed with advance in harvest stage. Calculated on net energy for lactation (NEL) and TDN values based on ADF percentage of stover plant decreased by ED stage and then increased by PM stage. But NEL and TDN values of ear and whole plant increased as harvest stage progressed. While in vitro dry matter digestibility of stover was decreased from 61.1 to 49.7%, whole plant was increased from 58.3 to 65.7% as maturity advanced (P
GDD;Milkline;Maturity stage;Days after silking
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Cummins, D. D. and Dobson, L. W. Jr. 1973. Corn for silage as influenced by hybrid maturity, row spacing, plant population, and environment. Agron. J. 65:240-243.
- Daynard, T. B., Hunter, R. B. and Stone, J. B. 1974. Dry matter content, yield, and digestibility of whole-plant corn silaage. J. Dairy Sci. 57:617-624.
- Daynard, T. B. and Hunter, R. B. 1975. Relationships among whole plant moisture, grain moisture. dry matter and quality of whole plant corn silage. Can. J. Plant Sci. 55:77-84. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps75-010
- Giardini, A., vecchiettini, M. and Lo Bruno, A. 1976. Energy supplementation of maize silage harvested at different maturity stages. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 1:369-379.
- Goering, H. K. and Van Soest, P. J. 1970. forage fiber analysis. Agric. Handbook 379, U. S. Gov. Print. Office, Washington, DC.
- Gordon, C. H., Derbyshire, J. C. and Van Soest, P. J. 1968. Normal and late harvesting of corn for silage. J. Dairy Sci. 51:1258-1263. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(68)87168-1
- Hunt, C. W., Kezar, W. and Vinande. R. 1989. Yield. chemical composition and ruminal fermentability of corn whole plant, ear, and stover as affected by maturity. J. Prod. Agric. 2:357-361.
- Jurgens, M. H. 1988. Evaluating feedstuffs for farm livestock. p. 53. In Animal feeding and nutrition (6th ed). Kemdall-Hunt publishing, Dubuque, IA.
- Johnson, R. R. and McClure, K. E. 1968. Corn plant maturity. IV. Effect on digestibility of corn silage in sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 27:535-540.
- Moore, J. E. 1970. Procedure for the two-stage in vitro digestion of forage. In S. E. Harrision (ed.) Nutrition research technique for domestic and wild animals. Utah State Univ., Logan, UT. USA.
- Tilly, J. M. A. and Terry, R. A. 1963. A two stage technique for in vitro digestion for forage crops. J. Bri. Grassl. Soc. 18:119-128. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1963.tb00337.x
- Van Soest, P. J., Robertson, J. B. and Lewis, B. A. 1991. Symposium: Carbohydrate methodology, metabolism, and nutritional implications in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Vetter, R. L. and Von Glan, K. N. 1978. Abnormal silages and siage related disease problems. p. 291-293. In M. E. McCullough (ed.) Frementation of silage-A review. Nat. Feed Ingr. Assoc., Des Moines, IA.
- Wiersma, D. W., Carter, P. R., Albrecht, K. A. and Coors, J. G. 1993. Kernel milkline stage and corn forage yield, quality, and dry matter content. J. Prod. Agric. 6:94-99.
- 김동암. 1996. 제9회 양축 농가를 위한 축산기술 세미나 자료. 서울대학교 부설 축산과학기술연구소. 수원.
- 김동암. 1997. 제10회 양축 농가를 위한 축산기술 세미나 자료. 서울대학교 부설 축산과학기술연구소. 수원.
- 김동암, 고서봉, 권찬호, 한건준, 김종덕, 이광녕, 신동은, 김종근. 1997a 중북부 및 제주지역에 적합한 사일리지용 옥수수의 우량품종평가. 한초지 17(4):323-328.
- 김동암, 이광녕, 신동은, 김종덕, 한건준. 1996. 숙기가 다른 사일리지용 옥수수의 파종기가 사초의 수량과 사료가치에 미치는 영향. 한초지 16(4):327-337.
- 김동암, 최기춘, 신정남, 김종덕, 한건준, 김원호, 조무환. 1997b. 목초 및 사료작물 정부장려품종의 지역 적응성 평가. III. 사일리지용 옥수수의 생육특성과 수량. 한초지 17(4):315-322.
- 김종덕. 1999. 사일리지용 옥수수 정부장려품종의 사초생산성과 사료가치에 관한 연구. 서울대학교 박사학위논문.
- 신정남, 김병호. 1994. 사일리지용 옥수수의 수확기 결정을 위한 옥수수 낱알의 밀크라인 이용, 한초지 14(1):57-63.
- 이석순, 이찬호, 배동호. 1981. 수확기에 따른 옥수수의 부위별 건물중과 사료가치의 변화. 이찬호박사 회갑기념논문집 p.40-45.
- 임상훈. 1992. 옥수수의 수확시기와 첨가제 및 답압이 silage 품질에 미치는 영향. 서울대학교 박사학위논문.
- A Comparative Study on the Growth Characteristics and Nutritional Components of Corn Hybrids for Silage at Paddy Field Cultivation vol.32, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.1.15
- Effects of Harvest Stage on Agronomic Characteristics, Yield and Feed Value of Silage Corn in the Newly Reclaimed Hilly Land vol.32, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.3.253