- Volume 44 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Polyclonal Antiserum Against Adipocyte Plasma Membrane Proteins on Body Composition of Passively Immunized Sprague-Dawley Male Rats
지방세포 원형질막 단백질에 대한 다클론 항체의 수동면역이 수컷 흰쥐의 체조성에 미치는 영향
- Baek, K.H. (Department of Animal Science, Yeungnam University) ;
- Choi, C.B. (Department of Animal Science, Yeungnam University)
- Published : 2002.02.28
The current study was conducted to investigate the effects of administration of antiserum against adipocyte plasma membrane(APM) proteins into rats on body fat mass. Twenty(20) male adult Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly allocated into either control or antiserum treatment group(10 rats/treatment) and immunized with physiological saline(control group) and polyclonal antiserum (treatment group), respectively, raised in sheep against rat APM proteins(5times, 2day interval). All animals were killed 4weeks after last injection. Intraperitoneal(i.p.) administration of antiserum significantly(P=0.0054 and P=0.0019, respectively) reduced subcutaneous(21.9%) and perirenal + mesentric + epididymic(36.0%) adipose tissue mass in rats of treatment group. Although body weights of antiserum treated rats were decreased during immunization, the rats recovered their body weight after 1 week of treatment. There were no significant changes in the level of blood glucose and in the contents of muscle protein and fat in antiserum treated animals. Current results indicate that polyclonal antibodies against APM proteins could be used to manipulate body fat mass in meat animals as well as laboratory animals. Further studies, however, are necessary for the practical applications of the current results.
Polyclonal antiserum;Adipocyte;Passive immunization;Body composition
- AOAC. 1990. Official Method of Analysis(15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D. C.
- Flint, D. J., Coggrave, H., Futter, C. E., Gardner, M. J. and Clarke, T. J. 1986. Stimulatory and cytotoxic effects of an antiserum to adipocyte plasma membranes on adipose tissue metabolism in vitro and in vivo. Int. J. Obesity. 10:69-77.
- Flint, D. J. 1998. Effects of antibodies to adipocytes on body weight, food intake, and adipose tissue cellularity in obese rats. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 252:263-268. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1998.9622
- Futter, C. E. and Flint, D. J. 1986. Long-term reduction of adiposity in rats after passive immunization with antibodies to rat fat cell plasma membranes. Proceedings of the 5th international congress on obesity. september, Jerusalem, Israel. 181-185.
- Kestin, S., Kenndy, R., Tonner, E., Kiemam, M., Cryer, A., Griffin, H., Butterwith, S., Rhind, S. and Flint, D. J. 1993. Decreased fat content and increased lean in pigs treated with antibodies to adipocyte plasma membranes. J. Anim. Sci. 71: 1486-1494. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7161486x
- Moloney, A. P. and Allen, P. and Enright, W. J. 1998. Passive immunisation of sheep against adipose tissue : effects on metabolism, growth and body composition. Livest. Prod. Sci. 56:233- 244.
- Nassar, A. H. and Hu, C. Y. 1991. Growth and carcass characteristics of lambs passively immunized with antibodies developed against ovine adipocyte plasma membranes. J. Anim. Sci. 69: 578-586. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.692578x
- Panton, D., Futter, C., Kestin, S. and Flint, D. 1990. Increased growth and protein deposition in rats treated with antibodies to adipocytes. Am. Physiolo. Soc. E985-E989.
- SAS. 1998. SAS/STAT software for PC. SAS/ STAT User guide. Statistics SAS Inst., Cary, NC, USA.
- 백경훈, 권은진, 곽태효, 정근기, 최창본. 2000. 흰쥐 지방세포 원형질막에 대한 다클론항체의 in vitro 세포독성 효과. 한국동물자원과학회지. 42: 261-268.
- 최창본, 이명진, 권은진. 1998. 면양을 이용한 돼지 지방세포 원형질막 단백질 특이 항체의 생산. Korean J. Biomed. Lab. Sci. 4:57-63.