- Volume 38 Issue 4
This paper was described on the characteristics of bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) whistle to develop a warning and attracting acoustic system which can be made friends woith environment and minimized to the fishing pollution from Cetaceans. The experiment for the acoustics of bottlenose dolphin whistle was carried out in dolphin performance hall at Seoul Grand Park during 18th~19th April, 2002. The frequency and the spectrum level of whistle a same pool were revealed 6~10KHz and 85㏈ but those revealed two harmonic waves a 6.7KHz and 21.3KHz for the frequency and 110㏈ and 94㏈ for the spectrum level, respectively, when a dolphin isolated from others. The range of frequency change of whistle was 3.86KHz and continuous time was 0.08 sec. The range of frequency change 10.20 KHz higher as 14.06 KHz and continuous time was 0.11sec longer as 0.19sec when a dolphin isolated from others. By the Mann-Whitney test for the result, there was a significant difference for the range of frequency change and continuous time between normal condition and when a dolphin was isolated from others. The pattern of whistle at the dolphin performance hall was five types and the frequency was getting increased slowly in the range of 5~10KHz at normal condition but there were pattern change of 5~20KHz at the isolated condition. Therefore it is thought that these experiments would be valuable for the development of acoustic system.
Bottlenose dolphin;whistle;Warning and attracting acoustic system
- 竹村 暘(1981) : イルカ鳴音の分析-昭和54 . 55年度漁業公害(有害生物等)對策事業調査報告書, 水産廳, 13-15, 67-86.
- 赤松友成 (1996) : イルカのエコ-ロケ-ツョンと鳴音發生戰略, 日本音聲學會誌 52(7), 523-528.
- Popov, V. V., Supin, A. Y. and Klishin, V. O. (1997) : Frequency tuning of the dolphin's hearing as revealed by auditory brain-stem response with notch-noise masking, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 102(6), 3795-380l. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.420142
- Houser, D. S., Helweg, D. A. and Moore, P. W. (1999): Classification of dolphin echolocation clicks by energy and frequency distributions, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 106(3), 1579-1585. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.427153
- Lang, T. G. and Smith, H. A. P. (1965): Communication between dolphins in separate tanks by way of an electronic acoustic link, Science 150, 1839-1844. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.150.3705.1839
- Whitlow, W. L. Au. and Penner, R. H. (1981) : Target detection in noise by echolocating Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 70(3), 687-693. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.386931
- Whitlow, W. L. Au. (1993): The sonar of dolphins, Springer-Verlag, 277.
- Akamatsu, T., Wang, D., Nakamura, K. and Wang, K. (1998): Echolocation range of captive and free-ranging baiji (Lipotes vexillifer), finless porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides), and bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus), J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 104(4), 2511-2516. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.423757
- Dreher, J. J. and Evans, W. E. (1964): Cetacean communication. In Marine Bio-Acoustics, Tavolga W. N. ed., Academic Press, 373-393.
- Whitlow, W. L. Au., Robert Floyd, W. and Haun, J. E. (1978): Propagation of atlantic bottlenose dolphin echolocation signals, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 64(2), 411-422. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.382015
- 신형일.윤갑동.신형옥.최한규.박태건 (2001) : 참돌고래의 반향정위 신호특성에 관한 연구, 한국어업기술학회지 37(3), 189-195.
- Lilly, J. C. and Miller, A. M. (1961) : Vocal exchanges between dolphins, Science 134, 1873-1876. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.134.3493.1873
- Whitlow, W. L. Au., Moore, P. W. B. and Pawloski, D. (1986) : Echolocation transmitting beam of the atlantic bottlenose dolphin, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 80(2), 688-691. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.394012