- Volume 14 Issue 4
In designing the boundary confinement of shear walls, the current design provisions and recommendations are empirical and prescriptive; they specify a certain confinement length and details, regardless of the actual requirement of ductility Therefore, they are inappropriate to the performance based-design. The purpose of the present study is to develop a ductility design method that Is applicable to the performance based-design of shear wall. For the purpose, experimental studies were performed to investigate variations in the ductility of shear walls with the length of the boundary confinement. Five specimens modeling the compressive zone of cross sections with different confinement area were tested against eccentric vertical load. Through the experimental studies, strength, ductility, and failure mode of the compression zone were investigated. In addition, nonlinear numerical analyses for the overall cross-sections of shear wall were performed to investigate variations of the stress and strain profiles with the length of compression zone. On the basis of the experimental and numerical studies, a ductility design method for shear wall was developed. By using the proposed design method, for a given ductility demand, the area of lateral confinement and corresponding reinforcement ratio can be precisely determined so that the ductile behavior and economical design are assured.
- Building Seismic Safety Council, "NEHRP Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New Build and Other Structures," 1997.
- Wallace, J. W., "Seismic Design of RC Structural Walls. Part I: New Code Format," J. Struct. Engrg, ASCE, 121(1), 1995, pp.75-87. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:1(75)
- Wallace, J. W. and Thomsen, J. H., "Seismic Design of RC Structural Walls. Part II: Application," J. Struct. Engrg, ASCE, 121(1), 1995, pp.88-101. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:1(88)
- 건축물 하중기준, 대한건축학회, 2000.
- 콘크리트 구조설계기준, 한국콘크리트학회.대한건축학회, 1999.
- 박홍근, 강수민, 조봉호, 홍성걸, "단부 횡보강이 없는 세장한 전단벽의 내진성능," 콘크리트학회논문집, 제12권 5호, 2000, pp.47-57.
- American Concrete Institute, "Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-99)," Special Provision for Seismic Design 21.6, 1999.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M. J. N., "Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings," Wiley Interscience Publication, 1992.
- Fiorato, A. F., Freeman, S. A., and Bruce, R. A., "Seismic Resistance of Reinforced Concrte Shear Walls and Frame Joins," Applied Technology Council (ATC-11), 1983, pp.25-30.
- Mander, J. B., Priestley, M. J. N., and Park, R., "Theoretical Stress-Strain Model For Confined Concrete," J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 114(8), 1988, pp.1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Monder, J. B., Priestley, M. J. N., and Park, R., "Observed Stress-Strain Behavior of Confined Concrete," J. Struct. Engrg., ASCE, 114(8), 1988, pp.1827-1847. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1827)
- Sakai, K. and Sheikh, S. A., "What Do We Know about Reinforced Concrete Columns? : A Critical Review of Previous Work and Code Provisions," ACI Structural Journal, 86(2), 1989, pp.192-205.
- Park, R. and Paulay, T., "Reinforced Concrete Structure," Wiley Interscience Publication, 1975.
- Charles, C., "UcFyber - Cross Section Analysis Software," University of California, Berkeley, 1999, http://nisee.berkeley.ed.
- 김장훈, 김지현, 박홍근, 홍성걸, "철근콘크리트 벽체의 극한상태 면내 휨에 대한 고려," 2001년도 봄 한국콘크리트학회 학술발표회 논문집, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2001, pp.891-896.
- Chang, G. A. and Mander, J. B., "Seismic Energy Base Fatigue Damage Analysis of Bridge Columns, Part I: Evaluation of Seismic Capacity," Technical Report NCEER-94-006, Buffalo, Nework, 1994.
- Improvement of a Requirement for Providing Special Boundary Element Considering Feature of Domestic High-rise Shear Walls vol.15, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5659/AIKAR.2013.15.1.43
- Equivalent Plastic Hinge Length Model for Flexure-Governed RC Shear Walls vol.18, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11112/jksmi.2014.18.2.001
- Generalized Lateral Load-Displacement Relationship of Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls vol.26, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.2.159
- Plastic hinge length of reinforced concrete slender shear walls vol.67, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.14.00298
- Displacement ductility ratio-based flexural design approach of reinforced concrete slender shear walls vol.68, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1680/jmacr.15.00113
- Design Approach for Boundary Element of Flexure-Governed RC Slender Shear Walls Based on Displacement Ductility Ratio vol.26, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.6.687