- Volume 30 Issue 2
Antimicrobial Activity of Medicinal Herbs against Staphylococcus aureus and Salmonella gallinarum.
Staphylococcus aureus와 Salmonella gallinarum에 대한 한약재의 항균활성
- Choi, Il (Department of nutrition and resource, Sangji University) ;
- Jang, Hyung-Soo (Department of Food and Nutrition, Sangji University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Min (Department of nutrition and resource, Sangji University) ;
- Um, Ju-Chul (Department of nutrition and resource, Sangji University)
- 최일 (상지대학교 영양자원학과) ;
- 장형수 (상지대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 윤영민 (상지대학교 영양자원학과) ;
- 엄주철 (상지대학교 영양자원학과)
- Published : 2002.06.01
The extracts from approximately 40 different Korean traditional medicines were prepared to investigate the antimicrobial activities against poultry disease-related bacteria. Among tested, the extracts of Schizandra chinensis (SC), Melia azedarach (MA), Caesalpinia sappan (CS) and Rhus javanica (RJ) exhibited significant antimicrobial activities against Salmonella gallinarum, whereas the extracts of Elsholtzia ciliata (EC), Myristica fragrans (MF), Alpinia katsumadai (AK), Poncirus trifoliata (PT), Prunella vulgaris (PV), CS and RJ exhibited antimicrobial activities against Staphylococcus aureus. Minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC) of MA, CS and RJ extracts against S. gallinarum were 1.2 mg/ml, whereas MIC of RJ extract for S. aureus was 0.6 ㎎/ml, which was the lowest among tested. The antimicrobial activities of SC and RJ extracts against S. gallinarum were reduced, but those of AK and CS extracts against S. aureus were not affected by heating treatment. The antimicrobial activities of SC extract against S. gallinarum and those of EC, PT and RJ extracts against S. aureus were stable by acid treatment but unstable by alkaline treatment. those of CS extract was not effected by either acid or alkaline treatment. The growth of all bacteria was significantly inhibited within 24 hours by the addition of at least 100 ppm and 300 ppm of RJ and CS extracts, respectively, compared with the control group. In conclusion, these findings suggest that RJ and CS extracts may play important roles for antimicrobial activities against poultry disease-related bacteria.
Antimicrobial activity;medicinal herb;Staphylococcus aureus;Salmonella gallinarum
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.32 Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts from Korean and Indonesian Plants Kim, M. S.;D. C. Lee;H. E. Hong;I. S. Chang;H. Y. Che;Y. K. Kwon;H. Y. Kim
- J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. v.27 Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinensis extract on pathogenic microorganism Lee, S. H.;Y. S. Lim
- Kor. J. Postharvest Sci. Technol. v.5 Antimicrobial and antioxidative activities from motan cortex extract Kweon, O. G.;J. C. Son;S. C. Kim;S. K. Chung;S. W. Park
- J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr. v.24 Antimicrobial activity and heat stability of water-pretreated extract of leaf mustard Dolsan (Brassica juncea) Park, S. K.;J. R. Park;S. W. Lee;K. I. Seo;S. K. Kang;K. H. Shim
- J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. v.29 Antimicrobial activity of Caesalpina sappon L. extracts and its effect on preservation of ground meats Lee, S. H.;W. S. Moon;K. N. Park
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.29 Antimicrobial effect of ethanol extracts from some medicinal herbs and their fractionates against food-born bacteria Shin, D. H.;M. S. Kim;J. S. Han
- J. Appl. Bacteriol. v.68 Techniques used for the determination of antimicrobial resistance and sensitivity in bacteria Piddok, L. J. V. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1990.tb02880.x
- Food Technol. v.43 Antimicrobials occuring naturally in foods Beuchat, I. R.;D. A. Galden
- N. Engl. J. Med. v.320 Methicillin-resistant Staphyloco-ccus aureus Brumfitt, W.;J. Hamilton-miller https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198905043201806
- Kor, J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.25 Antimicrobial activities of pine needle (pinus densiflora Seib et Zucc) extract Choi, M. Y.;E. J. Choi;T. J. Rhim;B. C. Cha;H. J. Park
- J. Kor. Soc. Food Nutr. v.21 Screening of antimicrobial activity for medicinal herbs extracts Park, U. Y.;D. S. Chang;H. R. Cho
- Poult. Prod. Marketing v.130 2000년도 국내 가금질병 동향 Mo, I. P.
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.25 Isolation and antimicrobial activity of Xanthium strumarium L. extract Kim, H. S.;J. O. Shin
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.23 Screening of anitimicrobial activity of leaf mustard (Brassica juncea) extract Kang, S. K.;N. K. Sung;Y. D. Kim;S. C. Shin;J. S. Seo;K. S. Choi;S. K. Park
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.20 Antibactrial activity of Ulmus pumila L. extract Lee, H. Y.;C. K. Kim;T. K. Sung;T. K. Mun;C. J. Lim
- Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. v.23 Screening of natural antimicrobial plant extract on food spoilage microorganism Lee, B. W.;D. H. Shin
- J. Kor. Phar. Assoc. v.4 Antimicrobial activity of commercial medicinal herbs Jung, S. R.
- Kor. J. Pharmacogn. v.30 Isolation of antimicrobial components from Moutan Cortex Kwon, O. G.;S. H. Kim;B. Y. Chun;C. K. Park;K. H. Son