- Volume 30 Issue 2
To produce yellow pigment selectively, mutants were induced from Monascus anka Nakazawa et Sato IFO 4478 (KCCM 11832 strain), and their characteristics were evaluated. Five kinds of auxotrophic mutants which required amino acids for growth and pigmentation, were isolated through a series of mutagenic treatments. Especially, asparagine auxotroph Y7 produced high ratio of yellow pigment. This mutant showed all the morphological characteristics of Monascuceae but the shape of colony and the diameter of conidia. Mutant Y7 was propagated by sexual reproduction more often than asexual reproduction, which could be effective in production of pigments. Yellow pigment produced extracellularly by the mutant Y7 was more soluble in polar solvents such as ethanol and water than in nonpolar solvents. Its productivity of yellow pigment was 2.2 times higher in the mutant Y7 than in parents. In addition, its yellow pigment showed characteristics of maximum absorption at 373 nm. Moreover, the hue of pigment produced by the mutant Y7 was bright yellow, and it was stable through the subculture over 10 generations.
Monascus anka Nakazawa et Sato IFO 4478;mutant;yellow pigment;auxotroph
- J. Chem. Soc. The Chemistry of fungi Fielding, B. C.;J. S. E. Holker;D. F. Jones;A. D. G. Powell;K. W. Richimond;A. Robertson;W. B. Whalley https://doi.org/10.1039/jr9610004579
- J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol. v.2 Taxonomical studies on genus Rhizopus Inui, T.;Y. Takeda;H. Iizuka https://doi.org/10.2323/jgam.2.1
- Plant Physiol v.60 Pigmentation and antibacterial activity of fast neutron and X-ray induced strains of Monascus purpureus Went Wong, H. C.;Y. S. Bau https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.60.4.578
- J. Chin. Agr. Chem. Soc. v.8 Mycological study of Monascus anka Su, Y. C.;W. L. Chen;H. Y. Fang
- Nippon Nongeikagaku Kaishi v.60 Production of red pigment by Monascus sp. and its mutant Tsukioka, M.;T. Hiroi;T. Suzuki;T. Konno https://doi.org/10.1271/nogeikagaku1924.60.451
- J. Chin. Agr. Chem. Soc. v.14 Studies on the production of anka-pigment Su, Y. C.;M. Katayama
- Nippon Nongeikagaku Kaishi v.42 Asperyellone, a new yellow pigment produced by Aspergillus awamori and Aspergillus niger Arima, K.;J. H. Yu.;g. Tamura
- Appl. Environ. Microbiol v.43 Production of extracellular pigment by a mutant of Monascus kaoliang sp. nov. Lin, C. F.;H. Iizuka
- J. Chem. Soc. The biosynthesis of fungal metabolites Hadfield, J. R.;J. S. E. Holker;D. N. Stanway
- Agr. Biol. Chem. v.43 Hyperpigment productive mutant Monascus anka for solid culture Hiroi, T.;T. Shima;T. Suzuki;M. Tsukioka;O. Nagahiro https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.43.1975
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. and Biotechnol. v.8 Studies on the yellow pigment produced by Monascus sp. CS-2 Kim, H. S.;U. Chang;H. I. Yi;J. C. Bae;J. H. Yu
- Appl. Environ. Microbiol. v.47 Pigment production from immobilized Monascus sp. utilizing polymeric resin adsorption Evans, P. J.;H. Y. Wang
- Tetrahedron Lett. no.5 Fidlding, B. C.;E. J. Haws;J. S. E. Holker;A. D. G. Powell;A. Robertson;D. N. Stanway;W. B. Whalley
- J. Food. Sci. v.48 Production of red water soluble Monascus pigments Wong, H. C.;P. E. Koehler https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb09191.x
- J. Bacteriol v.122 Sexyal reproductive cycle of Monascus in submerged shaken culture Carel, M.;D. Shepherd
- J. Ferment. Technol. v.51 Isolation and cultural conditions of Monascus sp. for the production of pigment in a submerged culture Lin, C. F.
- US Pat. Water soluble Monascus pigment Yamaguchi, Y.
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.18 Isolation and identification of Streptomyces californicus KS-89 produced bluish purple pigment Ryu, B. H.;Y. E. Chi;B. G. Park;W. Y. Park;D. G. Kim
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Bioeng. v.11 Fermentative production of anka pigments (Monascus-Pigments) Su, Y. C.
- Agr. Biol. Chem. v.31 Asperyellone, a new yellow pigment of Aspergillus awamori and Aspergillus niger Yu, J. H.;G. Tamura;N. Takahashi;K. Arima https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.31.831
- J. Chem. Soc. Studies in relation to biosynthesis Birch, A. J.;A. Cassera;P. Fitton;J. S. E. Holker;H. Smith;G. A. Thompson;W. B. Whalley https://doi.org/10.1039/jr9620003583
- Phytochemistry v.12 Isolation and structure of ankaflavin: a new pigment from Monascus anka Manchand, P. S.;W. B. Whalley;F. C. Chen https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(73)80470-4
- Kor. J. Food. Sci. Technol. v.9 Studies on production and characteristics of edible red color pigment produced by mold (Monascus sp.) Kim, C. S.;S. H. Ree;I. Kim