- Volume 6 Issue 5
Dynamic responses of a multi-span simply supported bridge are investigated to examine the effect of bearing damage under seismic excitations. The damaged bearings are modeled as sliding elements with friction between the superstructure and the top of the pier. Various values of the friction coefficients are examined to figure out the effect of damaged bearings with various levels of peak ground accelerations. It is found that the global seismic behaviors are significantly influenced by the occurrence of bearing damage. It should be noticed that the most possible location of unseating failure of superstructures differs from that in the bridge model without considering the bearing damage. It can be concluded that the bearing damage may play the major role in the unseating failure of a bridge system, so that the damage of bearings should be included to achieve more rational seismic safety evaluation.
seismic excitation;bridge;bearing damage;sliding element;unseating failure
- Dicleli, M. and Bruneau, M., “An energy approach to sliding of single-span simply supported slab-on-girder steel highway bridges with damaged bearings,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 24, 1995, pp. 395-409. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240307
- Siddharthan, R. V., El-Gamal, M., and Maragakis, E. A., “Stiffness of abutments on spread footings with cohesionless backfill,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 34, 1997, pp. 686-697. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-34-5-686
- Anagnopoulos, S. A., “Pounding of buildings in series during earthquakes,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 16, 1988, pp. 443-456. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290160311
- Rabbat, B. G. and Russell, H. G., “Friction coefficient of steel on concrete or grout,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 111, No. 3, 1985, pp. 505-515. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:3(505)
- Horyna, T., Ventura, C. E., Foschi, R. O., and Fan, B. H., “Shake table studies of sliding of a concrete gravity dam model,” 11th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 1998.
- Gasparini, D. A. and Vanmarcke, E. H., “Evaluation of seismic safety of buildings simulated earthquake motions compatible with prescribed response spectra,” Massachusetts Ins. of Technology, Report 2, 1976.
- 한국도로교통협회, 도로교설계기준, 2000.
- Kim, S. H., Lee, S. W., and Mha, H. S., “Dynamic behaviors of bridges considering pounding and friction effects under seismic excitations,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 10, No. 6, 2000, pp. 621-633. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2000.10.6.621
- Mayes, R. L., Buckle, I. G., Kelly, T. E., and Jones, L. R., “AASHTO seismic isolation design requirements for highway bridges,” Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 118, No. 1, 1992, pp. 284-333. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:1(284)
- Watanabe, E., Sugiura, K., Nagata, K., and Kitane, Y., “Performances and damages to steel structures during the 1995 Hyogoken-Nanbu earthquake,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 20, 1998, pp. 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00029-1
- Baltay, P. and Gjelsvik, A., “Coefficient of friction for steel on concrete at high normal stress,” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1990, pp. 46-49. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1990)2:1(46)