- Volume 30 Issue 4
Lowering Effects in Plasma Cholesterol and Body Weight by Mycelial Extracts of Two Mushrooms: Agaricus blazai and Lentinus edodes.
아가리쿠스와 표고버섯 균사체 추출물의 혈중롤레스테롤 및 체중감소 효과
- 권미향 (고려대학교 생명공학원) ;
- 권석태 (성균관대학교 유전공학과) ;
- 권석형 (㈜렉스진바이오텍) ;
- 마민숙 (㈜렉스진바이오텍) ;
- 박영인 (고려대학교 생명공학원)
- Published : 2002.12.01
The effects of protein-bound polysaccharides (A-PBP and L-PBP) that were extracted from the mycelia of two edible mushrooms, namely Agaricus blazai and Lentinus edodes, on serum cholesterol and body weight were investigated in mice and female volunteers. Six groups of Male Balb/c mice were fed six kinds of diet supplement- solutions composed of L-PBP, A-PBP, chitosan, and other fiber constituents, for 30 days under the normal diet. Ninety female volunteers were also supplemented for 8 weeks with six kinds of capsules including control and five test groups as the same manners (two times a day, 4 capsules). From 12 days after feeding of L-PBP (Group I) and A-PBP (Group II), the weight of mice began to reduce as compared with control, whereas that of Group III fed chitosan was decreased 15 days after feeding. Group W and Group V which were fed mixture of L-PBP, A-PBP, chitosan, and other dietary fiber, were more significant in lowering weight. After 4 weeks of the supplementation in women, their serum LDL-cholesterol level and body weights in Group I and II were reduced, but Croup 111 taken with chitosan capsule showed weaker effect than Group I and II. After 8 weeks, LDL-cholesterol content in the sera of Group I (132.5 mg/dL) and II(131.5 mg/dL) was decreased to ideal level (125.4 and 122.8 mg/dL) for healthy blood vessel. In the case of Group W supplemented with mixture of L-PBP, A-PBP, and chitosan, the weight-reduction effect (11.8%) and hypocholesterolemic effect (11.0%) was most significant, indicating their synergistic action. These data suggested that the weight-controlling and hypolipidemic effect of L-PBP and A-PBP was involved, at least in part, in absorption of cholesterol as their role of dietary fiber, as well as cholesterol metabolism.
Protein-bound polysaccharide;Agaricus blazai;Lentinus edodes;LDL-cholesterol;body weight
- Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.28 Hypolipidemic effect of soybean paste containing mycelia of mushroom in hyperlipidemic rats Yang,B.K.;J.B.Park;S.O.Ha;K.Y.Kim;K.H.Kym;K.Y.Park;J.W.Yun;Song,D.H.
- Nutr. Res. v.15 Obesity is a risk factor for deteriorating cellular immune functions decreased with aging Moriguchi,S.;B.Oonishi;M.Kato;Y.Kishino https://doi.org/10.1016/0271-5317(95)92581-4
- Nutr. Res. v.16 The hypocholesterolemic effect of extracellular polysacchride from the submerged fermentation of mushroom Cheung,P.C.K. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(96)00218-7
- Clin. Chem. v.18 Estimation of the concentration of low density lipoprotein cholesterol without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge Friedwald,W.T.;R.I.Levy;D.S.Fredricson
- Nutritional Biochem. v.8 Effect of oyster mushroom and isolated β-glucan on lipid peroxidation and on the activities of antioxidative enzymes in rats fed the cholesterol diet Bobek,P.;L.Odzin;L.Kuniak https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(97)00058-2
- Kor. J. Nutrition v.30 The effect of grape diet on weight control and serum cholesterol and serum components in Korean overweight female college students Park,K.S.;J.S.Han;H.J.Kim;M.G.Lim
- Annual report on the cause of the death statistics Republic of Korea National statistical office
- Top. Clin. Nutr. v.6 Current perspective on adolescent obesity Story,M.;I.Alton
- Am. J. Clin. Nutr. v.56 Effect of weight reduction on blood lipid and lipoprotein: A meta analysis Anne,D.M.;P.M.Etherton
- Nutr. Res. v.16 The hypocholesterolemic effect of two mushrooms: Auriculatia auricula (tree-ear) and Tremella fuciformis (white jelly-leaf) in hypercholesterolemic rats. Cheung,P.C.K. https://doi.org/10.1016/0271-5317(96)00191-1
- Am. J. Clin. Nutr. v.55 Heart disease and hypertension in severe obesity-The benefis of weight reduction Benotti,P.N.;B.Bistrian;J.R.Benotii;A.Blackburn
- Kor. J. Nutrition v.28 The effect of weight control on obese women Moon,S.J.;H.S.Kim;J.H.Kim
- J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. v.27 Effect of Codonopsis lanceolata water extract on the levels of lipid in rats fed high fat diet Han,E.G.;I.S.Sung;H.G.Moon;S.Y.Cho
- Kor. J. Nutrition v.30 Effects of mushroom protein-bound polysaccharides on blood levels and energy metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats Kim,M.W.;M.H.Park;G.H.Kim
- Carbohydr. Polymers v.28 Beta-1,3-D-glucans as biological response modifiers Bohn,J.A.;J. N. Be Miller
- Experimental Biology and Medicine v.226 Cholesterol-lowering effects of maitake (Grifola frondosa) fiber, and shiitake (Lentinus edodes) fiber, and enokitake (Flammulina velutipes) fiber in rats Fukushima,M.T.;Ohashi,Y.;Y.Fujiwara;K.Sonoyama;M.Nakano
- J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. v.10 Characterization of two glucans activating an alternative complement pathway from the fruiting bodies of mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus Kweon,M.H.;W.J.Lim;H.C.Yang;H.C.Sung
- Carbohydr. Res. v.263 An antitumor, branched β-(1→3)-D-glucan from a water extract of fruiting bodies of Cryptoporus volvatus Kitamura,S.;T.Hori;K.Kurita;K.Takeo;C.Hara;W.Itoh;K.Tabata;A.Elgseter;B.T.Stokke https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(94)00156-1
- Biotherapy v.6 Activation of peritoneal macrophages in patients with gynecological malignancies by sizophyllan and recombinant interferon-γ Chen,J.T.;K.Hasumi https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01878080
- Immunomodulatory Agents from Plants Lentinan and other antitumoral polysaccharides Maeda,Y.Y.;G.Chihara;H.Wagner(ed.)
- J. Nutr. v.116 Diet, plasma cholesterol and coronary heart disease Rifkind,B.M.
- Kor. J. Obesity v.6 study on effects of aloe added diet control program S-28 on obese women Lee,H.A.
- Am. J. Clin. Nutr. v.52 Oatbran cereal lowers serum total and LDL-cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic men Anderson,J.W.;D.B.Spencer;C.Hamilton