- Volume 11 Issue 9
The purpose of this study was to design a reliable and valid Likert-type scale to measure nuclear energy attitudes of various groups. 8 tests were applied to the construction of a 26-item long form, a 12-item middle form, and a 6-item short form of the scale. Three scales were field tested on 760 respondents representing a diverse range of subjects. The 26-item scale appeared to be reliable, content valid and construct valid. Scale reliability and homogeneity were evidenced by 0.95 coefficient alpha and positive interitem correlations ranging from 0.18 to 0.74. The results of factor analysis and known-groups comparison revealed that this scale had high validity. Reliability of the middle form and short form were evidenced by coefficient alpha of 0.92 and 0.90 respectively. The long and middle forms were strongly correlated, r-value of 0.98 and the long and short forms were also highly correlated, r-value of 0.93. Consequently, long form, middle form and short form scales were evidenced very reliable and valid in measuring nuclear energy attitudes of various groups in general. They can be used for a variety of purpose of measuring and testing nuclear energy attitude.
nuclear energy attitude;reliability;validity;likert-type scale;test
- 한국원자력문화재단, 2000, 2000 원자력 논문 수상작 모음집, 425-450.
- Bohmstedt, G. W., 1970, Reliability and validity assessment in attitude measurement, In G. F. Surnmers(Ed.), Attitude measurement, Rand McNally.
- Munby, H., 1983, An investigation into the measurement of attitudes in science education, ERIC Document Reproduction Service, No. ED, 237-347.
- Cornrey, A. L., 1973, A first course in factor analysis, Penquin Books.
- Dulski, R. E., 1992, Development of a factor analytic path model of the relationship between selected science-related attitudes in secondary school students, Doctoral Dissertation, State University of New York at Buffalo (UMI No. 9222051), 84-113.
- Shrigley, R. L. and T. R. Koballa, 1984, Attitude measurement: judging the intensity of Likert-type science attitude statement, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 21(2), 111-118. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660210203
- Henrysson, S., 1968, Correction of item-total correlation in item analysis, Psychometrika, 28, 211-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02289618
- 이항규, 1999, 21세기 환경 가이드북, 모색, 65-108.
- Edwards, A. L., 1957, Techniques of attitude scale construction, Appleton-Century-Crofts, 13-14.
- 한국전력공사, 1996, 원자력 발전의 바른 이해, 13-278.
- Fishbein, M. and I. Ajzen, 1975, Belief, attitude, intention and behavior, Addison Wesley Publishing Co, 1-89.
- Thurstone, L. L., 1928, Attitudes can be measured, The American Journal of Sociology, 33, 529-554. https://doi.org/10.1086/214483
- Girondi, A. J., 1983, A discriminate analysis of attitudes related to the nuclear power controversy, Journal of Environmental Education, 14, 2-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1983.9943473
- Scott, W. A., 1960, Measure of test homogeneity, Educational and Psychological Measurement, 20, 751-757. https://doi.org/10.1177/001316446002000411
- Showers, D. E., 1986, A study of the effects of informational and persuasive messages on the attitudes of high school students toward the use of nuclear energy for electrical production, Doctoral Dissertation, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA (UMI No. 8623801), 1-196.
- 황인수, 1993, 핵에너지와 핵폐기물에 관한 학생들과 교수들의 인식 조사, 한국교원대학교 석사학위논문, 1-97.
- Shaw, M. E. and J. M. Wright, 1967, Scale for the measurement of attitudes, Mcgraw-Hill, 2.
- 산업자원부 에너지산업심의관실, 2000, 2000 전력분야통계, 13.
- Calhoun, L., R. L. Shrigley, and D. E. Showers, 1988, Designing the nuclear energy attitude scale, Science Education, 72(2), 157-174. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730720205
- Crater, H. L., 1972, The identification of factors influencing college students' attitudes towards radioactivity, Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin(UMI No. 7307537), 1-94.
- Likert, R., 1932, A technique for the measurement of attitudes, Archives of Psychology, 140, 44-53.
- 유준희, 1992, 중학생의 핵에너지에 대한 인식의 구조, 서울대학교 석사학위논문, 1-77.
- 김경동, 홍두승, 1992, 원자력과 지역이해, 서울대학교출판부, 27-86.
- 박영찬, 1994, 핵에너지의 사회적 환경과 위험인식에 관한 연구, 충남대학교 석사학위논문, 1-100.
- Mueller, D. J., 1986, Measuring social attitudes: a handbook for researchers and practitioners, Teachers College Press.
- Nunnally, J. C., 1978, Psycornetric Theory, McGraw-Hill, 87.