- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the effects of physico-chemical factors on the zonation and vertical distribution of benthic microalgal communities in the tidal flats of south-west Korea
한국 남서부 갯벌의 저서성 미세조류의 대상분포와 수직분포에 미치는 이화학적 요인의 효과에 관한 비교
- 이학영 (전남대학교 생명과학부)
- Published : 2002.06.01
Efffcts of physico-chemical factors on the zonation and vertical distribution of benthic microalgal communities in the tidal flats of Youngkwang and Canaiin, Korea, were studied. Concentrations of nutrients were low throughout the study period. A 38 species of benthic microaigae was identified. Most of the algae were pennate diatoms with small size. Cell numbers at silty sediments were higher than sandy sediments, and showed high patchy distribution. Zonal distributions of benthic microalgae showed higher variation from silty sediment than sandy sediments. Benthic microalgae showed vertical migration within the upper few mm of sediment with periodicity closely related to tidal cycles. Maximum cells were observed from 0 mm depth both sandy and silty sediments. Cells of benthic microalgae in the 1 - 2 mm depth decreased after desiccation of sediments. The variation of cells was higher at sandy sediments than silty sediments. Cell numbers of benthic microalgae showed no positive relationships with pH and nutrinets except NH
- Teal, J.M., 1962, Energy flow in the salt marsh ecosystem of Georgia, Ecology, 43, 473-490. https://doi.org/10.2307/1933375
- Valiela, I. and J.M. Teal, 1979, Nitrogen budget of a salt marsh ecosystem, Nature, 280, 702-724. https://doi.org/10.1038/280702a0
- 고철환, 1996, 한국 서해의 갯벌: 생태 현황과 간척. In 습지, 생명과 조화의 땅, 녹색연합, 서울, 28-36pp.
- Carhoon, L.B., 1999, The role of benthic microalgae in neriticv ecosystems, Oceanogr. Mar. Biol., 37, 47-86.
- Lucas, C.H. C. Banham, P.M. Holligan, 2001, Benthic-pelagic exchange of micro-algae at a tidal flat. 2. Taxonomic analysis, Mar. Ecol. Frog. Ser., 212, 39-52. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps212039
- Gao, X.J., S.J. Xu, and N.L. Zhang, 2001, Distribution and forms of phosphorus in tidal sediments of the Yangtze Estuary and coast, Sci. China Ser. B-Chem, 44, 190-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02884827
- Sand-Jensen, K. and J. Borum, 1991, Interactions among phytoplankton, periphyton, and macrophytes in temperate freshwaters and estuaries, Aquatic Botany, 41, 137-175.
- Archambault, P. and E. Bourget, 1999, Influence of shoreline configuration on spatial variation of meroplanktonic larvae, recruitment and diversity of benthic subtidal communities, Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 238, 161-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(98)00146-4
- Kendrick, G.A., L.S. Langtry, J. Fitzpatrick, R. Griffiths, and C.A. Jacoby, 1998, Benthic micro-algae and nutrient dynamics in wave-disturbed environments in Marmion Lagoon, Western Australia, compared with less disturbed meso-cosms, Exp. Mar. Biol. Eeal., 228, 83-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(98)00011-2
- Wolfstein, K., F. Colijn, and R. Doerffer, 2000, Seasonal dynamics of microphytobenthos biomass and photosynthetic characteristics in the northern German Wadden Sea, obtained by the photosynthetic light dispensation system, Est. Coast. Shelf Sci, 51, 651-662. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.2000.0702
- Clalicoates, J., 1996, Wetland conservation in the UK. In Wetland, the land of harmony and life, Green Korea, Seoul, 94-105pp.
- Boschker, H.T.S., J.F.C. de Brouwer, and T.E. Cappenberg, 1999, The contribution of macrophyte-derived organic matter to microbial biomass in salt-marsh sediments: stable carbon isotope analysis of microbial biomarkers, Limnol. Oceanogr, 44, 309-319. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1999.44.2.0309
- Malvarez, G.C., J.A.G. Cooper, and D.W.T. Jackson, 2001, Relationships between wave-induced currents ande sediment grain size on a sandy tidal-flat, J. of Sedimentary Res, 71, 705-712. https://doi.org/10.1306/2DC40961-0E47-11D7-8643000102C1865D
- 유선재, 김종구, 1999, 갯벌의 오염물질 정화능력 평가, 한국수산학회지, 32, 409-415.
- 홍재상, 1998, 한국의 갯벌, 대원사, 서울, 143pp
- Herman, P.M.J., J.J. Middelburg, and C.H.R. Heip, 2001, Benthic community structure and sediment processes on an intertidal flat: results from the ECOFLAT project, Contin Shelf Res., 21, 2055-2071. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-4343(01)00042-5
- Rutschke, E., 1996, The establishment and management of tidal national parks, In Wetland, the land of harmony and life, Green Korea, Seoul, 53-68pp.
- Pinckney, J., Y. Piceno, and C.R. Lovell, 1994, Short-term changes in the vertical distribution of benthic micro-algal biomass in intertidal muddy sediments, Diatom Res., 9, 143-153. https://doi.org/10.1080/0269249X.1994.9705293
- Underwood, G.J.C. and D.J. Smith, 1998, Predicting epipelic diatom exopolymer concentrations in intertidal sediments from sediment chlorophyll a., Microbial Ecol., 35, 116-125. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002489900066
- Hammer, D.A., 1996, Creating Freshwater Wetlands, CRC Press Inc., Boca Raton, Florida, 197-198pp.
- 김종구, 유선재, 2001, 새만금지역 하구갯벌의 유기물 분해능력 평가, 한국환경과학회지, 10, 315-321
- Barrett, N.E. and W.A. Niering, 1993, Tidal marsh restoration: trends in vegetation change using a geographical information system(GIS), Restoration Ecology, 1, 18-28. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.1993.tb00005.x
- Van de Koppel, J., P.M.J. Herman, P. Thoolen, and C.H.R. Heip, 2001, Do alternate stable states occur in natural ecosystems Evidence from a tidal falt, Ecology, 82, 3449-3461. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(2001)082[3449:DASSOI]2.0.CO;2
- Hopner, T. and K. Wonneberger, 1985, Examination of the connection between the patchiness of benthic nutrient efflux and epiphytobenthos patchiness on intertidal flats, Netherlands J. Sea Res., 19, 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(85)90034-1
- Adam, P., 1990, Saltmarsh Ecology, Cambridge University Press. 461pp.
- APHA, 1989, Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, APHA, Baltimore, 1482pp.
- Sze, P., 1998, A Biology of the Algae, WCB McGraw-Hill, Boston, Massachusetts, 278pp.
- Rizzo, W., 1990, Nutrient exchanges between the water column and a subtidal benthic microalgal community, Estuaries, 13, 219-226.
- Evaluation of Heavy Metal Contamination in Intertidal Surface Sediments of Coastal Islands in the Western Part of Jeollanam Province Using Geochemical Assessment Techniques vol.44, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0772