- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Tidal Cycle and River Runoff on the Dynamic of Nutrients in Keum river estuary
금강하구역에서 영양염 거동에 대한 조석 및 담수유출의 영향
- Kim, Jong-Gu (Dep't Civil and Environmental Engineering of Kunsan National University) ;
- Kang, Hoon (Dep't Civil and Environmental Engineering of Kunsan National University)
- 김종구 (군산대학교 토목환경공학부) ;
- 강훈 (군산대학교 토목환경공학부)
- Published : 2002.06.01
This study was to evaluate the impact of river runoff and salt intrusion by tide on nutrient balance of estuary during a complete tidal cycle. 24 hours time series survey was carried out during a spring tide July 2001 on a tidal estuary in the Keum river. Three stations(A,B,C) were set along a transect line of about 10km, which linked the lower part of estuary dyke to the subtidal zone. Surface water was sampled simultaneously at each station every hours f3r the determination of nutrients. Water temperature, pH and dissolved oxygen were measured in situ. Riverine input of silicate and nitrate during ebb tide significantly increased the concentration of all stations. Conversely, during high tide, nutrient concentration were lowered by the mixing of fresh water with sea water Ammonium nitrogen concentration were higher at intertidal zone(Stn.B) due to sewage inflow to Kyeongpo stream and ammonium release under anaerobic conditions. Also, these results was discussed as a biological component that influences the processes of nutrient regeneration within the estuary. Best correlations were found at lower part of estuary dyke(Stn.A) for salinity against DIN(Y=0.121 Sal.+4.97, r2=0.956) and silicate(Y=0.040 Sal.+2.62, r2=0.785). But no significant correlation was found between salinity and ammonium. Unbalanced elemental ratio(N/P, Si/N and Si/P) depended significantly on the import of nutrients (silicate & nitrate nitrogen) from river and stream. The effect of the tidal cycle and river runoff is important that in determining the extend of the variations in nutrient concentrations at all station.
Tidal estuary;river runoff;nutrient regeneration;element ratio
- Hernandez-Ayon, J. M., M. S. Galindo-Beet, B. P. Flores-Baez, and S. Alvarez-Borrego, 1993, Nutrients consentrations are high in the turbid waters of the Colorado water Delta, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 3, 593-602.
- Edmond, J. M., E. A. Boyle, B. Gromd, and R. F. Stallard, 1981, The chemical mass balance in the amazon plame I, The Nutrients, Deep-Sea Res., 28, 1339-1374. https://doi.org/10.1016/0198-0149(81)90038-8
- 권정노, 김종구, 고태승, 2001, 장기관측자료에 의한 금강하구둑 수문조작에 따른 수질변화 평가, 한국수산학회지, 34(4), 348-354.
- 해양수산부, 1998, 해양환경공정시험법, 고시 제1998-4호, 1-132.
- 산업기지 개발공사, 1979. 한국 하천 조사서.
- Froelich, P. N., 1988, Kinetic control of dissolved phosphate in natural rivers and estuaries : a primer on the phosphate buffer mechanism, Limnol. Oceanogr., 33, 649-668. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1988.33.4_part_2.0649
- Strickland, J. D. H. and T. R. Parsons, 1972, A practical handbook of seawater analysis, 2nd ed.
- 기상청, 기상월보, 2001, 6-7.
- Edmond, J. M., A. Spivack, B. C. Grant, H. N. Hui, C. Zexiam, C. Sung, and Z. Xiushau, 1985, Chemical dynamics of the chanijang estuary, Contimental shelf Res., 4, 17-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(85)90019-6
- Uncles, R. J. and J. A. Stephens, 1996, Salt intrusion in the Tweed Estuary, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 43, 271-293. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1996.0070
- 김종구, 권정노, 유선재, 1998, 금강하구둑 건설후의 수질변화, 한국수산학회지, 31(5), 685-695.
- Chung, J. Y., and I. K. Bhang, 1994, Circulation dynamics of the Kuem river estuary-Fluid dynamics characteristics, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 141-152.
- 권정노, 1999, 하계 금강하구해역의 수질특성, 군산대학교 석사학위논문.
- 최진용, 최현용, 서만석, 1995, 하구언 갑문페쇄 후 금강 하구의 물리, 퇴적학적 특성변화, 한국해양학회지, 28(4), 262-270.
- Page, H. M., R. L. Petty, and D. E. Meade, 1995, Influence of watershed runoff on nutrient dynamics in a southern california salt marsh, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 41, 163-184. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1995.0059
- Yin, K., P. J. Harrison, S. Pond, and R. J. Beamish, 1995a, Entrainment of nitrate n the Fraser river estuary and its biological implications. II. Effects of spring vs. neap tide and river discharge, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 40, 529-544. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1995.0036
- Montani, S., P. Magni, M. Shimamoto, N. Abe, and K. Okutani, 1998, The Effect of a Tidal cycle on the Dynamics of Nutrients in a Tidal Estuary in the Seto Inland Sea, Japan, Journal of Oceanography, 54, 66-76.
- 기준학, 김경렬, 1987, 금강하구에서의 화학적, 생물학적 제과정에 관한 연구 II. Chlorophyll-a 분포 결정 요인에 관하여, 한국해양학회지, 22, 207-215
- Saino, T., 1985, Nutrient dynamic in the estuarine and coastal waters, Bull. Coast. Ocenogr., 23(1), 88-103.
- Lee, C. T. and T. I. Kim, 1987, Formation and evolution of turbidity maximum in the Keum River estuary, J. Korean Earth Soi. Soc., 9, 142-162.
- Chung, J. Y., J. H. Lee, and H. S. An, 1983, Circulation Dynamics of the Keum River Estuary I. Variability of the Salinity Boundary Layer, J. Oceanogr. Soc. Korea, 18(2), 142-48.
- Yin, K., P. J. Harrison, S. Pond, and R. J. Beamish, 1995(b), Entrainment of nitrate n the Fraser river estuary and its biological implications. III. Effects of winds, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 40, 545-558. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1995.0037
- Oh, S. H. and G. H., Lee, 1985, Hydrographic and physicochemical water quality of Keum River, Bull. KACN. 7, 5-16.
- Balls, P. W., 1994, Nutrient inputs to estuaries from nine Scottish east coast rivers; influence of estuarine processes on inputs to the North Sea, Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 39, 329-342. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1994.1068
- 이용혁, 양재삼, 1997, 금강하구역에서 영양염류, 엽록소, 부유물질과 염분 변화에 대한 500일간의 연속관측, "The Sea" The Journal of Korean Society of Oceanogreaphy, 2(1), 1-7.
- Fox, L. E., 1990, Geochemistry of dissolved phosphate in the sepik River and estuary, Papua, New Guinea, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, 54, 1019-1024. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7037(90)90435-N
- 해양수산부, 국립해양조사원, 2001, 조석표.
- Tanaka, K. and S. Hamada, 1987, Investigations on nutrients in turbid estuaries : Buffering og phosphate concentration by suspended sediments, Bull. Coast. Oceanogr., 24(2), 125-133.
- Redifield, A. C., B. H. Ketchum, and F. A. Richard, 1963, The influence of organics on the composition of sea water. In The Sea, M. N. Hill, John Wiley, New York, 2, 26-77pp.
- Factors Controlling Temporal-Spatial Variations of Marine Environment in the Seomjin River Estuary Through 25-hour Continuous Monitoring vol.15, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2012.15.4.314